5.0 out of 5 stars Triumph over adversity
Published on 10 Nov 2010 by starryeyed

3.0 out of 5 stars Split Personality
This is not the type of thing I'd normally read as I feel it would be unusual for someone of close to my age to have enough life experience to be worthy of a whole book. However, I unexpectedly saw Gok Wan speak at the induction of a charity programme I'm involved in and he came across really well so I thought it would be worth a read.

A literary masterpiece...
Published on 28 April 2012 by Open Ears

5.0 out of 5 stars Triumph over adversity, 10 Nov 2010
As a regular viewer of Gok's various television adventures I was always struck by how confident and full of beans this guy was, often envying his seeming endless ability to talk to anyone and everyone, without forgetting his championing of feeling comfortable in ourselves no matter what our shape or size. It must be said then, that reading his autobiography was a real eye-opener for me. Not knowing anything about Gok's life off-screen, I was very surprised to learn about all the struggles he faced as a child and as a young man. Gok's story is truly inspirational, breaking through the controversial lid that so often covers issues such as childhood obesity, mixed-raced families, eating disorders, and the isolation that we all feel at some point whilst growing up. I commend Gok Wan on his brutal honesty and open-heartedness in writing this book and allowing us all to share in his experiences. It is a lesson to us all that the life of a celebrity is not as perfect as it appears on the glossy exterior, and that even when you feel you can sink no lower there is always hope that things will get better.

An added bonus to Gok's wonderful account of his life is the personal recipes and letters that he scatters throughout the pages, which serve to let us into his heart just that little bit more. An absolute triumph of a book, Auntie Gok!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and inspirational read, 9 Nov 2010
For anyone with weight - and life - issues, this book is an inspiration. Even without those issues, I would recommend it as just simply a fascinating read. (And just look at this wonderful Amazon price!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gok, you rock!, 16 Nov 2010
Elizabeth Hanna (Belfast) - See all my reviews
I have noticed that in the last couple of years there has been a flood of celebrity autobiographies on the market & quite honestly I have shied away from buying them as I feel it is just a celebrity trying to make some money. In fact, the last time I read an autobiography was some 20 years ago(In The Absence Of Angels by Elizabeth Glaiser. However, I have watched Gok's shows over the last couple of years & on a whim, decided to buy his book. I was really glad I did! For me, this has to be the best book I've read in 2010. I found it difficult to put down & by the time I reached the end of it, I wanted to find Gok & give him a big hug! It was such an entertaining & yet sensitively written read. I will definitely be buying more copies of his book to give to my girlfriends as Christmas presents this year. You have to buy this book & please Gok, how about a sequel to it in a couple of years time?!

5.0 out of 5 stars From the heart, 18 Oct 2010
The most heart-warming story of Gok's personal journey battling with confidence, overweight and eating disorder to become the man he is today, giving confidence to so many women as they worry about their own body shape and clothes choices. He has been strengthened by his loving family and their care for him shines through. He talks openly about his difficulties `coming out' and the acceptance of his family. I couldn't put the book down and had tears in my eyes more than once. Wish he had been next to me to give him a huge hug!
Keep on doing what you do so well Gok - speaking from the heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read!, 13 Nov 2010
This is a truly inspirational story of the life of a celebrity, although Gok Wan comes across as an ordinary bloke going through many hurdles of many ordinary people. The book is both funny and poignant all the way through. I loved it! Would make a great Xmas gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 25 Oct 2010
A friend gave me this book and although I am a fan I wasnt sure how I would fare reading a whole book about him, but it was fabulous. It tells Gok's story from the overweight, bullied young boy in Leicester to the star he is today, interspersed with some delicous family recipes!
It was moving and inspirational and I would recommend it to anyone who has suffered at the hands of bullies or battled with their weight and anyone that wants a damn good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!, 26 Oct 2010
I could not put this book down. Gok tells his story with such honesty and I shed many tears while reading his story. I forgot I was reading about a 'celebrity' I just wanted to read about the person. Gok's story about his problems with food and poor self esteem is one so many people can relate to and is told so frankly and honestly without ever being too self pitying. His love for his family is a constant in his life and comes across so strongly in the book. They sound such remarkable people. There are some lovely touches in the book such as the recipes at the beginning of some chapters. Then there are the powerful and moving letters to family and friends. I sobbed as I read the letter at the end to his father. This book is REMARKABLE and I strongly urge people to read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Split Personality, 28 April 2012

A literary masterpiece it is not, but it's been a welcome change from reading longer and more involved novels. There are definitely some parts that I genuinely interesting, especially the first half about his early life and childhood away from the public eye. Wan freely admits that he has a very public persona that he "wears" when he is in front of a camera or audience and it's clear that this is what we see most of the time, hiding an underlying troubled past and a mass of insecurities.

The book itself reflected this - there was a definite shift once he started to write about the times since he's become a household name and it's almost as if the public persona completely takes over - there is little beyond that in the second half and the language is very much like the TV version. As such it feels lacking in emotion and a bit hollow. It also brought back all of things I didn't like about the "How to look good naked" show and made me feel even more uncomfortable that he persuades women to do things that I don't think he'd be prepared to. In a way it seems that the show is his own form of therapy.

Ironically the second half also seems to come with a drop in the quality of editing and proof-reading which is a bit of a pet hate of mine.

All of this said, in the final chapter, it all turns around again and the "heart" comes back. At the end of the day, while there were parts I've criticised, I couldn't put this book down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gokked, 9 Feb 2011
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is not a work of great literature. But then it is not meant to be. It is clearly not ghost written and simply stuck on the shelves as a meaningless cash cow for the celebrity in question. It is the story of Gok Wan's life, as he sees it, actually written by him. With the rise in celebrity autobiography as a major source of revenue for publishing houses, this is not something you can say about many of the celebrity life stories gracing the shelves.

I loved the fact that he acknowledged in the front of this book that how he experienced his life is not necessarily how everyone who knows him will see it, but that surely is the point of writing for yourself? You get to tell it how it matters to you. As such this is an honest and fascinating account of how Gok grew into his fame and where he came from.

I like the fact that he addresses contradictions like how he can go on television and encourage women to accept themselves, whatever their size, whilst having suffered from, and still being prey to anorexia that saw him lose over ten stone in the most unhealthy way possible.

I like the fact he acknowledges his faults, that he unashamedly celebrates his successes, and that he is not afraid to talk about his love for his family and what they mean to him.

I really enjoyed this book. Long may his success continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Inspiring, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: Through Thick and Thin: My Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Gok Wan's autobiography is an immensely inspiring story through many adversities. An honest and extremely open book that drew me in and hooked me instantly. Quite possibly the quickest I have ever read an autobiography. His humour and beautiful personality shines through so much so you can almost hear his voice as you read it. Definitely recommended.