5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read
Excellent book! Had me gripped from the first word to the last! RJ Palmer is an excellent story teller. More books like this please!
Published 16 months ago by Mrs. G. Michaels

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, pity about the writing
This should have been an excellent story ( yes, Mr Robbins, in the style of Dean Koontz!) but it was spoiled by the author's writing style. If she had let go of her penchant for describing everything in three or four convoluted ways, the book would have been half as long, but much better.

The story itself, although not a new idea,was exciting, when I could get...
Published on 16 Jan 2012 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, pity about the writing, 16 Jan 2012
This review is from: Birthright (The Evolution Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The story itself, although not a new idea,was exciting, when I could get past all the long drawn out sentences and rogue formatting.

And if there had to be more than one Point of View, next time could they be at the start of a new chapter, please? It tended to get very confusing when there was no visible switch.

I hope that RJ Palmer continues writing but cuts back on all the descriptions and cliches - her actual story would have stood up on its own without so much of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 25 Sep 2013
I really wanted to like this book and kept hoping that by the end I could have least have said the story was worth it, unfortunately it got lost in the words - and there are a lot of them!! It was as though the author wrote a good story and thought it was too short so opened a thesaurus and added every word and sentence possible. "he could acquiesce to the demands of his body.." "her body invited though her mind was as yet recalcitrant" - I could go on believe me it never stops and this unfortunately spoils the story. I was excited when I first started it as it reminded me of an early Dean Koontz but it soon just got lost in meaningless words. This sadly left me feeling frustrated and disappointed with the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful writing, passable story, 18 Nov 2012
The story was bloated and the plot contained many holes...but it was the dreadful writing that let this book down in the end. I finished the book, but only for want of anything better to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, 17 Aug 2013
I barely made it 5% into this book before giving up. I have never come across such a tortured writing style before - and I am a prolific reader. The book appears to be some kind of study in the use of simile and metaphor. These are used in long, complex sentences with very limited use of commas. The result is having to re-read sentences constantly to try to ascertain the meaning. Very quickly, this becomes just not worth the effort.

Will certainly avoid this author in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 8 Nov 2012
Having read hundreds of books over the years I have to say that this is easily the worst book I have ever read. It is wordy and over descriptive and in places there are whole sentences that make no sense. The author's writing style really detracts from the story and by the end of the book I found myself not really caring about any of the characters. By the way, I can't find the word 'conscienceless' in any dictionary!

3.0 out of 5 stars Well crafted, 22 Dec 2011
Birthright is a well crafted book written by a very articulate author. Although I admired her writing skills I have to agree with a previous review that the book is very "wordy" and certainly is a case of why use two words when you can use ten. Having said that I did read through to the end although at times I found my mind straying from the story which incidentally was quite good though not an original story line.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 11 Feb 2012
I agree with the other reviews on this book, but the author's husband has written that the book is to be "polished" and re-released.

I found it extremely difficult to skim read when there was such a desparate need of paragraphs, one minute I was reading about Raine and then suddenly, one of the other characters.

I did want to mention that when reading how Raine was re-united with his wife in the hospital, all of my body came out in goose bumps, that has to be due to the excellent writing skills of the author.

3.0 out of 5 stars could easly have been a short story, 15 Mar 2013
The story line was quite a good idea but it was let down bay to much embelishment on surroundings of the characters not enough momentum given to the characters
i wanted to know the ending but could not wait to get there and was frustrated throughout the book with information that really had no bearing on the story
if you have a very good imagination this book is not for you

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard-going, 7 Jan 2012
P. E. Hayden - See all my reviews
I read hundreds of books a year, and generally speaking I will give it my all to get to the end of a story. Half-way through this one and I had to give up.

The story idea is really good, and the characters themselves interesting. I wanted to finish the book I really did. Unfortunately it appears the author swallowed a thesaurus and spewed words onto the page with total abandon. Often whilst reading a paragraph I would completely 'lose the plot' and have to start reading over. After doing this dozens of times I conceded my defeat and deleted it from the Kindle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 16 May 2014
I probably would not have normally read a book like this , but once I started it I had to keep reading , it is something that could perhaps almost happen , the end was a bit predictable about 5 chapters in . But I'm glad I read it ,and it will make me look at more of this type of book .

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›