Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:33 Mins
Published on 24 Oct 2010 by Chris Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, not exceptional
I'm not overwhelmed with this product and although it did have some benefits, I have stopped using it now. I tested it while on the treadmill a few times down at my gym and the treadmill and this device always gave different readings so I came not to trust it as being entirely accurate (on both distance and calories burned which were way out).

The pro's are...
Published on 18 May 2011 by Boof

5.0 out of 5 stars A handy device to keep tabs on your day-to-day exercise as well as a daily jogging routine, 24 Oct 2010
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Length:: 1:33 Mins

The Omron Jog Style Activity Monitor utilises the functionality of both a traditional pedometer for daily step counting, with a variety of informative workout monitors for use whilst jogging. Combing the two concepts together allows for a handy exercise monitor that incorporates your day-to-day exercise from walking, with a regular exercise routine. The result is a very good idea of the kcal and fat burned off during an entire day, as well as a good record of how many steps were taken during the 24hr period. With this data, the user can easily monitor their all round exercise levels, making the activity monitor an ideal gadget for maintaining a good exercise schedule and setting challenging but achievable weekly goals.

Once you have plumbed in the necessary physical details of the user (weight, height & stride length), the activity monitor is good to go. For beginners, the monitor estimates your stride length from the data input for your height and weight. The average stride length can be altered at a later stage when the correct figure can be more accurately calculated (details of how to do this are included within the informative instruction manual).

The activity monitor can be easily attached to yourself using the large clip holder that the whole monitor slots into, the smaller strap clip, using the looped strap around your wrist or neck, or by merely popping it into a pocket or bag.

After your workout, the results displayed are:

- Workout time

- Daily steps counted
- 24 hour time
- Daily calories burned
- Daily fat burned

Once the monitor reaches midnight, it resets the results for a new days worth of exercise. However, the monitor keeps a seven day record of all of your results, allowing you to easily reflect back on your past weeks data.

All in all, the Omron Jog Style Activity Monitor is a handy little monitoring device for anyone who is reasonably serious and committed to maintaining a daily exercise routine. The functionality of the monitor is incredibly easy to use on a day-to-day basis. The monitor itself is very lightweight, with a strong durable exterior.

If you want to keep tabs on how your daily exercise is going (both from day-to-day walking as well as from a jogging routine) then this activity monitor really is a handy piece of equipment. The technology is far from groundbreaking, but the simple design and its ease of use makes the Omron Jog Style Activity Monitor a good little gadget to help you along. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent little product, 27 Oct 2010
Curlynob (Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm quickly forming quite a good opinion of Omron products. I just bought my mother-in-law one of their heart monitors and was really impressed with the quality of the product and the clear instructions. This Omron Jog Style Activity Monitor also manages to impress. The instructions are once again clear and it's another good quality product - which to use a famous phrase, does exactly what it says on the tin.

This is a proper Activity Monitor. In addition to the basic functionality you would expect from a pedometer this device will measure the intensity and amount of exercise you do from basic walking to jogging and running. It will tell you how many calories you've burned doing everyday activities and when it comes to a dedicated jogging and or running routine it will tell you your workout time, distance travelled, calories burned and even your average speed.

Before you begin, the device needs a little setting up - Time, Weight Height and Stride Length - which is done by holding down the little set button on the underside. Once this is done you're pretty much ready to go. There is a wrist strap and a sturdy belt clip to attach the unit to your clothing. There is a large clear LCD display and three buttons to navigate your way through the various features and settings - Mode, Start and Memo.

As someone that has just escaped from the confines of the gym to treading the pavements at night, I liked the fact that this little device gave me very similar information to the displays that I'm used to on the running machine or cross trainer. It's helped me set a regular circuit and motivate me to beat my own targets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very motivational!, 14 Nov 2010
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With jogging/running, I need something for distraction and motivation. I'm a rubbish runner so need to focus away from how stupid I look! I've been using Nike Plus, but it only offers me distraction, not motivation - yes there's a the bland pedometer and distance covered, but it whenever I change track on the IPod I seem to lose Nike Plus data anyway. This jogging pedometer is fantastic for motivation - accurately recording distance, steps, times, fat and calorie burn and average speed (Trying to be beat my last average speed is my new motivation!).

My only gripe is that it doesn't have a miles option, only Kilometers, but I realise it's me that's out of date rather than a flaw with the machine!

4.0 out of 5 stars A pedometer and a "workoutometer" too, 12 Dec 2010
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This pedometer has been better thought out than most. There are just three buttons (other than the recessed reset button you need to press once only when you set the time), and the "modes" are straightforward: there are just two, walking mode and workout mode.

For walking mode, you can display the number of steps and the time, or the kilocalories and grammes of fat you've burned. These will always be approximate, of course, but are good for motivation. You can wear the pedometer anywhere about your body when walking - round your neck, for example, but on your waist is best. The pedometer doesn't display a stepcount until you've walked a few steps, to avoid counting jostling as steps, but once it has detected a rhythm, it starts showing your stepcount from the start.

For workout mode (which really means running or jogging mode), you press the start button for a couple of seconds to start and finish. The bar along the middle of the display animates to show when you're in workout mode. In between, the pedometer measures how long you've been working out, how far you've travelled, how many kilocalories you've burned and your average speed. To accurately report on distance and speed, the pedometer needs to know your stride length (which will be different from your walking stride). There's a useful little feature to allow it to work out your stride by running a measured distance - for example on a running track. There's also a seven-day memory for both walking mode and workout mode, so you can make a note of your progress once per week if you wish. It's important to have the pedometer on your waist when you're running, or it doesn't record correctly.

It's a very simple device, very well made, with a serrated belt clip and a safety clip on the end of a short fabric cord. It doesn't have any functions I don't understand, doesn't make any silly beeping noises or do anything else that's annoying. It's quite nice to have a pedometer that actually seems to have had some design thought put into it.

4.0 out of 5 stars works well, 28 Mar 2011
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using this for a few months now, and can report that it that it continues to work well. There are plenty of cheaper pedometers on the market, but most of then are not suitable for jogging. This one is and whilst I am more into walking than jogging, I can see the added benefit of having a multi-purpose machine.

The use is straight forward and the gathering of stats for calories burned as well as distance travelled is a good incentive for keeping on with the fitness regime. It is easily read but relatively unobtrusive. About the only downside I can see is the lack of an ability to set different profiles for different users. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but there are cheaper options by Omron., 22 Dec 2010
Mr B (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like this Omron 'jog style' (JS) pedometer but I also have an Omron 'walking style' (WS) pedometer which provides much the same information at about half the price. However, the JS is a much better looking piece of equipment and that always counts for something. Style over substance.

Providing you wear the Omron JS or WS pedometer clipped to a belt, or top of trousers/shorts, you will get much the same results. To count steps/jogs, they both calculate distance travelled by foot-fall impact and time taken. Both are good at providing useful work-out information but there is very little to choose between them.

The choice is yours.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, not exceptional, 18 May 2011
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The pro's are that it gives you time, distance (not entirely accurate in my experience), calories burned (again, differed from the treadmill) and average speed. It can also do daily steps and total fat and calories burned but as I wear a suit all day I didn't want it attached to me.

Not a bad product and it has clearly worked brilliantly for some (see all the reviews) just wasn't exceptional in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars The running man, 16 Nov 2010
possessed.by.a.lemon - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This review will have to be kept short. The Reason being, time spent writing a review for this pedometer royale is time lost walking/jogging. An hour without steps taken and calories burnt is an hour wasted. The Jog Style's features bring about that lifestyle. You'll want to take it with you wherever you go, randomly take a look and smile at the confirmation of more fat walked off.

Excuse me, I just need to go and do something...

...ok, so I'm back from running up and down the stairs three times each way. Let's have a looksie. 5 calories gone in 30 seconds. I'm down with that. I'm gonna try it again!

Woah... back again, starting to breathe more heavily... Right, 7 calories in 36 seconds this time. I'm slowing down but burning more calories. I'll buy that for a dollar!

So, what I'm trying to get at here is that the Omron Jog Style is fun, conducive to good health and although there are concerns that it can come loose, I haven't had that happen yet, either outside or running the stairs twelve times. The secondary strap clip is a very dependable reinforcement should the main one let you down.

Set up is easy, as long as you know your height and weight. If you don't understand or simply are unable to measure your length stride, the pedometer can give you its estimate. I allowed it to do this for me and initially my step calibration was a little off, so it's probably best that you find a way to report an accurate figure. When that's all done what you have is more than a pedometer, it's a personal fitness instructor, keeping a note of your workouts and timing them, informing you of your distance travelled and speed. You owe it to yourself to never leave home with your jogging shoes on without it.

Before the review I clicked on a preliminary four stars. Now I can't for the life of me think of any reason not to give Omron a high five. Perhaps it's a little on the expensive side, but, as always, you get what you pay for. Every single able member of the human race should have one of these. Now, with the review out of the way, you know where I'm going...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for walking!, 22 Jan 2013
Phillip T. Hammond (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Omron Jog Style Pedometer (Sports)
I bought this by looking at the reviews and making a decision. I do not jog because of health reasons, but I do walk, which is what this item is supposed to do as well as be for joggers. I thought that I would be able to read the data without putting on reading glasses, which I can. One of the main reasons I bought it for was to measure distance, which it only does in Jog Mode, no good to me walking whatsoever! This will teach me to hold on to the packing boxes in future, stuck with it until I can find somebody to give it to.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for walking only, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Omron Jog Style Pedometer (Sports)
I purchased this, because I was intending on placing it in a hiking waist bag. I have a Suunto T6d watch, but the point of getting this was to wear my Casio Protrek when hiking (which does not have a pedometer).

The Suunto has a foot pod relaying info to the watch. This means that it is incredibly accurate (1% no matter running or walking or what speed, over my furthest distance of a half marathon).

When I purchased this, from the heaps of reviews I read and watched on Youtube, I strongly got the impression that it either automatically detected if you were running or walking, or, it had a simple way for you to tell it if you were going running or walking. Stride length is the obvious reason for this, because all pedometers use vibrations multiplied by an average stride length to give you your distance.

This does not have that. You only enter one stride length, which means unless you run or walk at the same rate every day, this device will be inaccurate.

I compared it against my Suunto over a 5km run, and I guess the Omron was set on a walking stride, because it was 20% off the distance.

Omron are smart that they enable you to customise the stride length, so it can be set to a run stride. Had I done got this right, it may have been more accurate I guess. However, there was no way to tell, I thought I had set it on a run length. Anyway, who wants to keep on changing this setting, having to remember your stride length, and remembering to change it too, if you go for a walk or run.

There are so many products out there that give you more distance accuracy. Personally, I think there is no point going for anything without a foot pod- accuracy is fundamentally flawed without having one (I looked at the Nike Fuel band and accelerometers too- no point).

So unless you are the type of person who specifically sticks to one route or track, this is really not worth it. If that suits someone, it is a well built quality product.

I sent it back.