4.0 out of 5 stars These don't quite go to 11, but they sure look the part
Published on 10 Mar. 2011 by neonxaos

3.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones I have had but they don't last long
Published on 18 Mar. 2013 by James Fennell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars These don't quite go to 11, but they sure look the part, 10 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
Let's face it - a pair of headphones in this price range were never going to be absolutely mind blowing, and although Marshall has a long pedigree in music equipment, they never were headphone makers. That said, when I laid my eyes on these, I knew I had to have them. Being ear canal phones, I always knew that they would not be on par with my isolating in-ear Denons, and sure enough, that was true. The Marshalls struggle to cope with really heavy bass, and the highs seem a bit muffled. On my iPod, I got the best results setting the EQ to Jazz for some reason, but then the headphones started revealing their positive qualities. The sound is meaty... beefy, even. For some reason, only meat-related synonyms come to mind for their sound, and while I initially thought that the iPod standard phones were better because of superior clarity, the Marshalls quickly started winning me over. They actually have a really rock 'n roll attitude, both in look and sound, and they like or even need some equalization to perform best. So there you go, hardly a pair of clear monitor phones, but their down and dirty approach may actually win them some fans, even among audiophiles. Vocals and mids are especially enjoyable, and while you don't want to crank the EQ to 11 on the bass, they can certainly rumble enough to satisfy most people.

Design-wise, the unusual ear clip design really works for me, but I needed to switch the rubber pads to the largest ones of the four included sizes to get it to fit. Now they align perfectly, and they will stay put even during movement - these will no doubt be my preferred gym phones. The open design also means you will be able to hear what's going on in the traffic as well, so I'm leaving the Denons at home when I go biking too. The phones also have a very discrete mic and remote for newer phones and mp3 players, and unlike most others I've seen, this one is almost unnoticeable. And finally, the look. Marshall really nailed it on this one - the gold "dials" on the front look like something straight from a Marshall rack, and the build is simply excellent overall. I also really like the extremely light, tangle-resistant wires - you will not be hearing any wire noise from these.

Finally, there is the issue of burn-in. All serious hi-fi equipment seems to really find itself after a period of varied use. My AKG K701s took well over 100 hours to reach this point, but the Marshalls seem to be changing quicker. Here are my impressions so far:

New - Highs seem decent, but a little muddy, midrange is warm with great vocals, lows are well-defined and present, but not entirely controlled at the deep end.

5 hours - Highs are slightly improved, the midrange is wider with vocals smack at centre stage (we like that!), lows seem more controlled, but still struggling with the deep end (double bass drums in particular, but careful EQ settings solve the problem).

Overall I recommend these phones as a bit of a style icon with great, although not earth-shattering audio performance. They're fun, and you can use them as secondary phones in places where an open, movement-resistant design is required.

*Note: This review was carried out using an iPod 4 running through the FiiO E7 portable amp with the Bass Boost setting at 1 (which might be the culprit in the bass department, but I really like the warm sound of this setting - without the E7, I doubt the iPod alone will be able to challenge the Marshalls beyond their capacity)

3.0 out of 5 stars Best headphones I have had but they don't last long, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
These are the best headphones in regards to sound quality and function. They fit in your ear perfectly can get uncomfortable at times, sound quality is amazing and have good bass. for these product and I had had no problems with hearing outside noise. I find the quality listening to rock is crisp and clear so much better than other headphones which sound very tinny when listening to rock. The mic doesnt work very well but i can call the last person using the button, it is difficult to change tracks using the button. The only problem I had faced is after 4 months the headphones started to deteriorate the cable started to fray, the colour when from a bright gold to a dull yellow, the disk logo faded off aswell and the clip came lose and fell off. On the 6th month of having the left earphone stopped working. I then contacted the seller and they sent me a replacement very quickly. I recieved a brand new pair of headphone lets hope that they will work longer than 6 months(out of warranty). If not i will prob go back to buying apple ones. As for value for money I think they are expensive if they are going to break in 6 months but the sound quality and function is very good!

2.0 out of 5 stars Initially great but didnt last long, 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
At first I was really excited about this product, my sister has the marshall major and i love the design. i was tentative at spending that much money on headphones, but thought i must be getting a quality product especially from such a well regarded brand as marshall. i was initially really pleased with the look, and sound quality/volume. However, the remote has since completely stopped working, one of the headphones split in half, which i've had to stick back together, and one of the gold plates on the earbud has fallen off :( not impressed, not good value for money. As they stay in one pocket in my handbag all the time apart from during use, i'm surprised this has happened. i want my money back or replacement headphones.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality, 2 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
they broke after 3 months of use, left earphone just stopped working. Right one is still working but wires are sticking out, I am really dissapointed with poor build quality, cause sound is really nice (well it was really nice...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, Room For Improvement, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
Bought these on a whim, admittedly mainly because of the Marshall name, and the fact my Bose IE1 ear canal 'phones had decided to give up working in the left side, and I don't have the budget to replace them.
Overall they are pretty good, they certainly look the part in any colour. I got mine in black and gold, although the white and gold, and the pitch black alternatives look equally as good. The jack plug has a big bit of gold coloured metal on top as well, giving it a more premium feel than some cheap & nasty plastic.
Build quality is something I'm not so sure about. After unboxing them, I found the left speaker seemed to have lost its shine and gone a bit grey, a bit like they'd been already used and bashed about a bit. But they were all sealed up and nothing else present suggested these were anything other than brand new. Anyway, after a few months the other side looked exactly the same, so no biggie there. However, after a few months the fabric cable became a little frayed in places, which I kind of expected from the heavy use they have been getting; as a student I use them on the move, and until my recent purchase of some on ear headphones, in the library while studying. Last thing I will say about build quality is that the gold disc on the left 'phone fell off a few weeks ago. Doesn't stop them working, but it doesn't look as good.
Now the big one; sound quality. By no means am I an audiophile, but I can tell the difference between decent and poor quality headphones. As they aren't going into your ear canal, they do let some ambient sound in, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, for example going to walk across the street. But considering they don't go into the ear canal, the sound quality is pretty darn good. I listen mostly to classic rock, and they don't disappoint. Not quite on par with the Bose IEs, but at 1/3 the price they aren't too bad.
However, listening to tracks edging towards the dance genre, things come apart. I am impartial to a bit of Jamiroquai, and the Minors are a let down in this case; it almost sounds as though the speaker is under water, this is the best comparison I can make, not a great one but hopefully you can understand. It just isn't quite right. Anything which is bass heavy tends to sound the same.
Now, comfort. Some will get on with the ear click system, others won't. Usually, getting earphones to fit is a huge pain in the backside for me, but using the largest spacers that come with the Minor, I had very few issues. They stay in very well, running or cycling doesn't dislodge them, although after a while at the gym they can start to be a bit painful, but not too much.

Overall I would say not bad, but needs improvement if Marshall do a new version. Better handling of the more bass heavy tracks, and the build quality could be slightly better, possibly by using Kevlar cables, and using a better glue to stick the metal discs on, and I'd happily change the review to 5*

4.0 out of 5 stars True Rock Earphones, 16 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
I have to say even though I have only had these boys for a day I am very impressed.
I was not even expecting to buy them when I did as I am a big fan of the "House of Marley" range, However after over a year of hard wear and torture, My Marleys were just about starting to crackle.
When I was looking for a replacement I had more HoM's in mind, and I needed some with the phone controls on the cable, I wasn't even aware that Marshall made earphones, and I was very taken in by the packaging.
After asking the assistant what he thought I eventually bought them, and thank god I did.

The sound on them is absolutely stunning, and I still haven't fully broken them in yet. They are not noise cancelling headphones, but at the end of the day I quite like it, it means that I won't be hit by a bus.
I was surprised by how much I liked these because I tend to go for the "In-Ear" ones. Also the "Ear-Clip" thing I didn't understand at first but when I figured out how they were positioned, they are very comfy, and very secure.

the only reason I did not give them 5 stars is that on all other earphones with the Phone controls, they tend to have volume controls too, which these do not. But all in all I would highly recommend them.

3.0 out of 5 stars they look amazing and fit terrifically in the ear especially if you ..., 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
alright product, they look amazing and fit terrifically in the ear especially if you aren't fond of typical earbuds. these will not fall out of your ear try as you might. the only problem with these is the poorly thought out jack that puts too much strain on the cable causing it to short. a pity I adored these otherwise

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice but weak!!, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
I bought Marshall headphones before and I've never any kind of problem.
Different story with these.
After less than a month of daily use the cable got broken and i had to buy new earphones...
Bad job Marshall!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Headphones, 7 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
These headphones fit snuggly just outside the inner ear, not inside like earbuds. If you don't like earbuds but still want something compact and portable then these are for you. Works really well with an iPhone; good sound quality for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marshall Minor!, 14 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Marshall Minor an advanced in-ear model (Electronics)
I was not quite sure what to expect from these earphones, having never owned a Marshall amp... However I was/am very pleased with them!
I have been looking for a decent set of buds that work with my iPhone, I cannot get used to the in-ear ones type (small ear canals, I think) I really struggled to find a pair which 1. worked with the iPhone. 2. looked like they would produce a decent sound. 3. not in-ear!

These have the most crisp sound I have heared in earphones and the vocals are amazing! I'm part way from burning them in and the bass has already improved ten fold. As mentioned previously the noise isolation isn't great, but then that's why I use my Sennheiser headphones for!

If you are looking for a decent pair of earphones then these are great!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Marshall Minor an advanced  in-ear model