1,521 Reviews
 (1,111)

1,415 of 1,454 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Way, way exceeded my expectations
I have been bowled over by this little device.

I bought it thinking that it would be a good replacement iPod for my ancient model, with a bit of mobile browsing thrown in - very useful as I didn't want to be chained to my laptop.

Published on 27 Dec. 2010 by Rufus Firefly

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade, but still requires additional purchases
Ive owned an itouch 1st g since launch in late 07 and its still in perfect working order (although it definitely looks its age). After seeing my brothers iphone 4 and hearing that the new itouches were basically iphones without the ability to call or text, i decided to upgrade.

Published on 26 Dec. 2010 by GAMER 4 LIFE!

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

1,415 of 1,454 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Way, way exceeded my expectations, 27 Dec. 2010
I have been bowled over by this little device.

But the iPod Touch turned out to be so, so much more than this. It takes a generational leap forward in gadgetry, browsing, and multimedia. It's just so darn intuitive.

Click on the 'Photo' widget. Take a snap. Touch the option button and immediately send it to somebody's email address. Or take a video recording, follow the same process, or store it in your computer's video library.

Download the free Skype app. Your iPod Touch is now a mobile phone thanks to its built-in mic.

Click on the web browser. Go to iPlayer and watch all the latest BBC TV shows. Touch the email widget and get access to all of your emails.

Buy an app called TuneIn Radio for around £1.50. Touch the widget on your screen. Boom, you have access to streaming radio from all over the world, from local BBC radio to international jazz stations.

Get a games app like Monkey Island. You've just passed the six hours on that long plane ride.

Amazingly, you can get a TomTom app and use your iPod Touch as a SatNav in your car. You can even get an app to turn the device into a remote control for your other digital devices.

When they say there is "an app for everything", they ain't kidding. Whether it's calorie counting, nuggets of trivia from QI, styling your photos, or checking flight times, you can do it all.

Now I understand the hype about the iPad, which is effectively a bigger version of this. It makes my laptop seem ridiculously outdated; the use of a mouse/trackpad and the constant clicking around is just a draaaaag compared to the fun that is had with all the new apps and touching around with this.

Downsides? Nothing, really. I'd perhaps say that in hindsight I would have chosen the 64GB model instead of the 8GB model to avoid any potential memory management issues a little later down the road (I am already at 50% capacity). And the touch screen keyboard can be a little more fiddly for those with bigger fingers (ahem). But really, that is nitpicking. It's a sensational device, a modern day Swiss Army Knife. Just get one - you won't regret it.

995 of 1,028 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth waiting for!!!, 13 Mar. 2011
(A kids review but still read it please 11yrs old)

It took me a long time to save up for this and persuade my parents to let me get it. The best deal was definitely Amazon. Very pleased with delivery and price; it came 4 days early.

I've never owned anything like and ipod touch before. It's an amazing device with great apps (alot free too), great sound quality and loads more.

Set up:
It took and 30-45mins to sync the ipod and set it up. It isn't that long to wait since once it's done there's not really any more setting up required.

Good points:
The apps(even free ones are brill); Good qaulity picture and sound.
The video is the best bit and the camera is ok. It's not amazing but it's not poor.
Screen is all very fast and responsive with every click, important i think you may agree. I noticed it went a bit blue, but this was when i tipped it at a stupid angle.
Internet access is quick and easy to use. I've not yet tried facetime but i'm sure it will be good.
Easy to download music off itunes.
It was rapped it tighly and safely to prevent damage to the ipod on delivery.
My friend has a 3rd gen and the 4th is a very good upgrade. It's lighter, slicker and this one has a camera. Also the volume buttons have a space between each other.

The bad points:
It's easily broken so i would get a case. (What do you expect though)
A finger magnet and can get scratched easily.
Apple doesn't supply a mains charger so to charge you must use the USB cable.
When playing apps the battery runs out.
As far as i'm concerned i have no more bad points.
When you first turn on the ipod a little apple comes up. If you turn the screen to the side it goes gold, but it was tilted at a stupid angle.

Things to consider buying for the ipod.
A mains charger.Mains Home AC Plug Battery Charger Lead Cable in White - CE Certified - Compatible with for ALL Apple iPod & iPhone 3GS S 4G iPod Touch iTouch Nano Classic i-Pod i-Phone
A case/sock. 4G Touch Black Silicone Protective Armour Case + Grey Sock Cover & Screen Protector Kit for New Apple iPod Touch 4th Generation - 8GB 32GB 64GB
Screen protecter. 4G Touch LCD 6 Pack Screen Protector & Cleaning Cloth Kit for New Apple iPod Touch 4 4th Generation - 8GB 32GB 64GB

Overall Rating:
Set up 4/5
Internet 4/5
App/music store 5/5
Camera 3-4/5
Video 5/5
Screen (speed and accuracy)5/5

THEREFORE I RATE THIS PRODUCT I BOUGHT FROM AMAZON 5/5

PLEASE comment with any questions and i will try and get back to you.
(I will update it if needed)

p.s. Rate my review please :-)!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade, but still requires additional purchases, 26 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 32GB - Black - 4th Generation (Launched Sept 2010) (Electronics)

The camera: not as good as the iphone4 but under the right lighting conditions the photos and video look amazing. In less well lit places the quality takes a hit and it looks like your typical smart phone camera but for an MP3 player, the overall quality of the camera is very good.Its a great addition and doesnt feel tacked on.

The unit is a little smaller and this has forced apple to put certain buttons in some pretty awkward places but after a few hours i was used to it.

The touch screen is as good as ever and the 4g is very fast making browsing the web really enjoyable. Youtube vids loads very quickly.

My only flaws are:

1) Scratch magnet: how badly the back of the unit gets scratched since they use a highly reflective metal which looks amazing on a brand new unit but within minutes of use, it looks really bad. Definitely recommend you buy a quality case and screen sticker. These are completely necessary if you want to keep your touch looking somewhat fresh for longer than a few days.

2) Headphones: Awful apple headphones have been the same for years, really wish they would pull their fingers out and improve the quality/comfort (even though they look really nice) Once again, decent headphones are another necessary purchase if your buying this mainly as a music player (which i imagine most people do)

3) Plug: Completely unjustifiable, how the hell can you sell a product for 250.00 and not include a charger? I dont want to turn on my pc just to charge my ipod! Once again, a charger is another necessary purchase.

4) Finally the unit comes already upgraded to 4.2 which is a decision i would have liked to make.

Despite the flaws, i still say its worth a purchase, but do yourself a favour and order the extra items i suggest to avoid some major hasstles.

1,142 of 1,213 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money for something else that lasts!, 4 Oct. 2010
*Update 15/05/12 It's not been long over a year and a half and my iPod has given up the ghost! One day it was fine and the next I get a battery graphic with a thin red bar indicating it's too low on power and needs charging. But it was in one of my speaker docks on charge when this happened which was odd. So I used the apple sync lead and tried charging it via my pc's motherboards usb. Still no joy. It wouldn't even connect to iTunes or even reset. Believe me, I tried everything.
I then gave apple a call and they said it may be the battery. As it was out of warranty it would cost £65 and if it wasn't the battery then they would replace it for £180 but would need credit card detail as this is automatically done.
Now that's unfair! No choice to say no in replacing it at £180 if its not the battery?
So I took it to a third party iPod repair centre recommended by my local apple dealer. It turns out the logic board is faulty and will cost £195 to replace.
This is a joke? A premium device that lasts less than a couple of years. Come on apple. Jeez! What a waste of money!*

(Back to the original review)
If anyone who already owns or has owned an iPod touch will know what an amazing piece of tech this is. But there a couple of warnings about the new design to consider.

The Good

Never have I owned something quite like this. The interface is so slick, so intuitive it has always been a pleasure to use. And it's so much more zippier than my 2nd gen thanks to the better cpu and double the ram.

The screen is noticeably much better (not than past generations were bad!) beautifully sharp and text is a dream to read. Ok, some will wonder why it has no in-plane switching bearing in mind that the iPhone 4 does. IPS for those who don't know means you can view the screen at at extreme angles. But why would you on this device? I can still view it at extreme angles if I wish to. The colour may shift to a blue hue, but I only notice that when looking at the screen from the home button end and tilted at a ridiculous angle. The iPod Touch is too small for this to be ever dreamt as concern and IPS only benefits the iPad in my opinion.

The volume buttons are now separated as opposed to a rocker and are pleasant to use. The power button has moved to the right and have no issues with its new place as I thought I might have. And the speaker is an improvement but not really loud enough in a fairly noisy environment.

Face time works well and I love the ability to flip from the front camera to the back while in a conversation.

The .7 megapixel camera may seem a disappointment at first, but given that apple has packed in HD video recording all is forgiven. The camera is good enough for emailing and uploading to social net works, but for printing your images the quality is pretty poor. I managed a 5x4 print with fair results taken in good light. A bit jaggerdy in places, but then again, for a .7 mp camera it's not a bad effort. But I most definitely would want to use a dedicated camera to capture those all important moments.

But for me having a HD video recorder is far more rewarding feature to have than a 5 mp camera for my needs. It's not quite as good as some of the flip range, as a comparison, but this crammed in with what seems as a never ending list of functions I take my hat off to apple. How do they do it! The video I have recorded I am more than satisfied with in daylight, but it is grainy and a bit noisy in low light due to not having an in-built light/flash. But for its sheer portability i doubt i will use my camcorder again. Just make sure you purchase a 32GB or 64GB model as it will gobble up your storage. A short 2.44 minute movie equated into a 208mb file!

Wifi is still simple to set up with a solid connection. And with blue tooth, you are finaly able to control the volume of blue tooth speakers that have no volume control. Somthing my Sony Ericsson W705 has done for nearly a couple of years!

The Not So Good

Firstly, if like me you're using a speaker dock (mines a Bose sound dock original with scosche passport converter) or some other kind of dock, you may want to check first if this 4th gen model will fit.

Apple never supplied a dock convertor like they have on previous models which seems to my thinking they knew there would be compatibility issues with consumers existing docks.

The 4th gen iPod Touch has a slightly narrower connector than previous models. When I first hooked up the iPod with its factory made sync/power lead I noticed it was very tight when connecting. Then I tried my sound dock and after a little bit of wiggling around found that it just wouldn't fit. Unfortunately by doing that I found a thin piece of plastic had blocked the iPods connector and rested on the pins. I managed to move this back with a thin tool and was then able to insert it into the sound dock.

But after a days in and out of the dock it finally would no longer dock due to the thin piece of plastic getting in the way and the sync lead just became too tight to insert. So I took it back.

To give apple their due in six days I had a replacement. This one was better and I could dock it with my sound dock, although still a bit tight, but after one week I have had no problems.

I would like to say this is a one off, but looking on the internet I'm not the only one.

*Update 23/11/10: It does seem now that the above is due to a faulty device rather than compatibility issues with docks and power/sync leads. My replacement iPod to date has been working fine if still a little tight connecting.*

Also I do feel there is too much to sacrifice(better quality stills camera?) for a new thin design as the last model was very thin and I don't really notice the difference enough to warrant it.

And if only apple would ditch the scratch magnet chrome back and save as a small fortune in buying cases to protect it!

Edit: One thing I failed to mention when I first posted this review was the small amount of light bleed around the long right hand edge of the screen. As I was taking the iPod back the day after I got it I wasn't concerned about it, especially as my replacement had no light bleed. But it appears to be an issue with other owners who brought this model. If you're looking at a dim screen the light bleed will definitely be noticeable and off putting. So if you do get one with light bleed, take it back and you should get a replacement.

But this is still by far a five star device.

If you have never owed an iPod Touch before then I can't recommend this enough. If your upgrading from a 2nd gen then this is the move you have been waiting for. For third 3rd gen owners, if the HD recording floats your boat then go ahead. But personally I would hang on to that 3rd gen and wait and see what next year's offering delivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughts from an Ipod newbie, 22 Oct. 2010
The Ipod hype train has passed me by again and again and again without making me take notice of Apples latest mp3 masterpiece so this one certainly went straight over my head. The media and consumer voice have made a lot of my decisions about Apple, that they are money hungry and sell products that break within days. Then there was the fiasco about the Iphone 4's signal and that story certainly didnt impress me.

But after ignoring the temptation of an Ipod too long I succumbed, because I was in need of something to replace my trusty Zen Stone, which is now resting in pieces thanks to my son :(. I went big on the purchase with one of these; I thought that if I wanted to experience an Iphone without paying the ridiculous monthly tarriffs this was the best choice. I didnt prepare myself for love but thats what happened.

Too hold it in your hands is idescribable, it feels beautiful, slim but satisfyingly heavy. Set up was done in moments on my windows pc and itunes. I started to explore the phones features. So I tried the web browser, which is the best I've used on any mobile device. Then I set up all my emails so they would come straight to the device. How about the apps? I must hold the world record for apps downloaded within an hour.... there are news feed, mobile banking... AND ebay! Christ, I love ebay, and its a damnsight better than the ebay I get on my blackberry.

Lets not forget the games and the graphics on this kit... PWOAR is all I have to say. The graphics are incredible; I've heard that the pixels are closer together than the 3rd generation but I've never used one of those. Its just PHWOAR.

Now the touch interface was something i was worried about because I have fingers like german sausages. No need to fear, its accurate like a sniper on stimulants. I suggest you buy a screen protector because you'll want to touch it all the time and fingerprints are not attractive.

By the time I had fiddled with apps and games... I'd forgotten all about the music! So I stuck a load of tracks on there and what do you know, it's a great mp3 player; what a good idea Apple.

And now for criticisms: not many, buy yourself a new pair of headphones because the ones supplied are diabiolical. Also Facetime... I've looked it and cant really be bothered to use it: its more something you would use on a phone anyway. Also, I didnt buy it for taking photos, but the quality is pretty poor. But i'm not complaining, if you want great pictures buy a camera.

Bottom line: Yes I'm an Apple covert, its really quite easy to change when they make technology as beautiful as this.

Thanks for listening to my first time using an Ipod. Best bit of advice to you is to buy one, and if you got more dosh buy an Iphone which is all of above and the ability to phone and text so I've heard.

NOTE: You obviously need wifi to use internet, receive mail and log on to app store etc.

UPDATE: 04/11/2010

Having used the Ipod for well over two weeks now there is another negative that has become apparent. Battery life. When using apps it degrades rapidly, and when the apps are that addictive your going to be doing a lot of Ipod charging! However, the battery is great when playing music, it hardly consumes it at all.

Aside from that my love hasn't faltered. I sometimes find myself grabbing for the ipod when I have a bit of net surfing to do instead of my cumbersome laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant iPod, once again!, 17 Dec. 2010
I had an ipod touch 2G for two years, which had an 8gb memory so i filled it up which is why i got the 4G version, with 32 gb. Im sure any ipod owner would tell you that they are reliable pieces of kit, and this new 4g touch is even better!

The screen is a lot better than the 2G, which i didnt think was possible, its very clear and amazing quality. Its also very bright.

The battery life is EXTREMELY good. I was used to the battery on the 2G running down a lot when i was using apps, but so far i havent had to charge the 4g once, and ive had it for around a week, and thats with a lot of use everyday.

Its a lot thinner than the previous models, which is good and bad. Its good because its a lot lighter, and fits easier into a pocket because its not as chunky, but being light can also be a disadvantage as im constantly worried that im going to lose it or drop it without realising.

Like all previous ipod touches, its got a mirrored back. This scratches really easily so i would recommend a case as soon as you buy it to prevent this, and also a screen protector, which arent too expensive.

Theres a lot of new features on the new ipod, with 2 cameras. Theyre good enough quality to take casual snaps, but definately not good enough to print big sized pictures. It also has a new feature called facetime which is similar to a video call, just over wifi. The only problem is, is that you can only use with other people who have a new ipod touch and are on the facetime app. I would have thought that this is more like a iphone app rather than a iPod app.

I would highly recommend this product to anyone who doesnt just want something that plays music. It plays videos, shows pictures, and you can play games. What more do you want?! Its a great peice of kit and very good value for money, and i know it will last me a very long time as i know i can rely on apple.

5.0 out of 5 stars The future., 12 Jan. 2011
DefectiveStoat (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
In short: If you are thinking of getting one, get one.

In long:

It fulfils a needs I did not even know that I needed. A touch screen iPod? Whats the point? Whats wrong with a click wheel? After all, you don't need to look at the screen whislt you are listening to music.

Oh, but the iPod Touch is so, so much more. It is basically a PDA, almost to the point of negating the need for a netbook. I bought mine so I could fit all my music onto my iPod (all the Nanos are too small in capacity) and for the internet and Apps. Browsing the internet on this thing is beautiful. Such a tactile intimacy with the information you are reading. Double tap and the iPod will scale the column you are reading to the screen. Pinch to zoom in and out. Page scrolls are smooth and the momentum is just right. Browsing is fast and is a joy for when you want to quickly check a fact or find out some information. It really makes you realise the true value of the iPad. It makes sense, it is a joy to use. Apple have nailed this.

Apps are wonderful. Simply wonderful. The iPod is worth it just for Apps without a contract iPhone. There literally is an app for everything. IMDB, eBay, Amazon, Paypal, BBC News, Cineworld are a few useful ones off the top of my head that really streamline your search for information. As the iPod unlocks so quickly and is instantly connected to you Wifi, you can find out information in just moments. So effortless compared to a desktop computer, even a netbook. In eBay for example, you can list an item by scanning a barcode, check your auctions, browse and bid.. the functionality in many apps is very rich and makes checking things on the go and in a hurry a total breeze. In many cases, I'd rather browse on the Ipod than on my netbook, as the interface is just so fluent and such a joy to use. There are apps for fitness tracking, diets and lifestyle, personal finance managing, and many of them are free or of a negligible price.

I laughed when people said that iOS would overtake the DS and PSP for portable gaming. How can you plays serious games without buttons? Well, I haven't touched my DS in months. The app Store has reinvigorated portable gaming for me. Games cost £3 or under, rather than £15 plus. There is oodless of variety and enjoyment to be had here and I love the creativity that is present in some indie games that you so rarely find on the DS and PSP. Plants vs Zombies, Chu Chu Rocket, Cut the Rope, Infinty Blade, Eliss, Pix'N Rush, Doodlejump.. these games are so addictive you just cannot put them down, and they were all so very cheap compared to retail DS and PSP releases. And I have suddenly realised that buttons are not a necessity. They may help- but the touchscreen is allowing for new innovation and gaming experiences. If they get this into kid's hands, maybe start selling prepaid game cards in Gamestation (removing the need for a debit card on file), I can see them effortlessly overtaking Nintendo and Sony. The App store is brimming with innovation and fun to be had, even if you don't want to pay anything. It goes without saying, there is also lots of advert-ridden and feature-poor apps there, but generally just read the reviews and stay in the top lists and you will be fine.

The free 'Find my iPod' service is a nice touch. Register it, and from a PC you can locate your iPod, send it a message, or even erase it. It pinpointed mine down to my exact street location.

The screen is amazing. Well, not quite as amazing as the iPhone 4, which has IPS so that the colours look the same at any angle. The iPod Touch's screen will distort in colour even at a relatively low angle but it never presents as much of an issue really. A high resolution might not sound like it is needed, but it can eliminate the need to zoom in on webpages as the text remains clear and readable even when it is tiny- provided your eyesight is good enough! Apps not optimised for the new display can look blocky and pixelated but it is never so bad as to make them unusable.

The internal speaker is passable with enough volume for games but not enough clarity for extended music listening. The camera is better than nothing. I like how it means iPod Touch users can now use the same apps as iPhone users- including the barcode scanners. It is grainy and doesn't give great results, but it is good enough for the apps that need it and the occasional photo which is all I ask. The volume keys and power key are in good positions and give a good positive click.

:Update: Oh, and yeah, it plays music. This is the last feature I tried ;) It sounds amazing. Music seems 'fuller' and 'punchier' than with my old Nano 4g. Stereo separation seems better with the same earphones.. I'm hearing noises in my music that I don't think I would have been able to pick out on the Nano, it makes me almost pop my earphone out because I think it is an outside sound! I cannot be objective on this, but I swear down the Touch pulls out sounds that I never heard on my old Nano- even through the same earphones. The iPod produces smooth, resounding bass, crisp highs, and overall a balanced sound. I worried maybe Apple forgot the iPod's core reason-to-be- no way is that the case. Also, it is a joy being able to search for music by typing it in =) Oh, and the included Apple earphones fit nicely into a bin. I highly recommend the Creative in-ear earphones that retail on Amazon for around a tenner as they are affordable and great sounding. The sound is amazing. It brings a smile to my face, and that is really saying something. The iPod excels at music playback, giving you an amazing listening experience.

There are a few reasons. however, keeping it from achieving total perfection but these should not detract from your desire to buy one. I updated this review from 4 stars to 5 stars to reflect that I think this product does not suffer from these nitpicks.

The first issue is the dependency on iTunes, a bloated and shameful piece of software. Managing music is a total chore as the interface works against you at every click. For example, in Media Player, you can CTRL+V and down arrow your way down a list, pasting as you go to make many changes quickly. iTunes won't allow this, and also enjoys dumping you at the start of your library as you navigate backwards, rather than returning you to your previous position. It also needs mummying with album artwork, oeftn refusing to find album artwork from CDS you have imported yourself after ripping elsewhere. You need to shift+click a whole album, press get info, and then drag artwork in. Which then takes a while to process. Why not just drag it onto the first song? Well, iTunes is so thick that it only applys it to that one song. Since when did different tracks on an album have different cover artwork? Overall, though, it is bearable because the iPod Touch is worth it. Get a big one, sync all your music on there, and then touch iTunes as little as possible.

It is so easily scratched. Put it on a hard surface, it will get cuffed. Case us basically a necessity if you do not want any scratches, thankfully a silicone one will do and not make it much bigger.

The battery life is not stunning. Whilst I cannot vouch for music playback, playing games will easily, easily kill it in a handful of hours. As such, a charger is basically a necessity unless you are always near a PC to charge it. Of course, Apple do not include one. I highly recommend you budget for an official Apple charger (beware fakes). I use mine for other USB devices also, such as my TomTom. Worth the purchase, and it also comes with the USB lead which gives you a handy extra.

My screen is slightly yellower in tone than my sister's. I know not all screens are created equal, and it is ever so slight. But some more consistency in manufacturing quality would perhaps be beneficial. It really is at the point where the difference is so slight that only I can tell. Everyone else just says I'm fussy. And they're probably right.

No flash. Yes, I know it is a battery killer, buggy and the likes, but it prevents me from viewing video on some websites which the necessitates the use of my netbook. It would be good at least as an option. Perhaps click to activate it in a webpage that requires it would be an elegant solution.

Overall, the device represents the future. Simplified for the masses, but feature rich, a joy to use, and insanely helpful. My netbook used to see constant use for fact-checking and the likes. It now sits looking scornfully at the iPod in almost constant use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best iPOD TOUCH 4th Edition 2010, 2 Oct. 2010
David Glasgow "Wego" (Co.Tyrone, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Best iPOD TOUCH EVER - 4th Edition.

I've just bought my iPod Touch 4th edition from Amazon and I am over the moon, Im into my music, PC gaming and also like my gadgets.

The fabulous thing about the new iPod Touch is the FACT its just very similar to the Apple iPhone 4 in very many ways, has the Hi Def Video camera,
(at rear), also it has the Facetime Camera at the front too.

I could go on and mention the new super powerful "A4" CPU processing chip, and GPU, for multi tasking and gaming, its just got it all for half the price of the iPhone 4.

Yes, its also got WIFI 802.11 b/g/n so it covers all frequencies, in all hotspots.. So out and about all you need is to be close to a router.

Yes, you can download 140,000 apps very many FREE, and some you pay for, from as low as 'FREE or 49p' to '£5-£15' or thereabouts' for the most expensive... but the program apps are really great value for money as most are 'FREE or pennies' seriously. You can back them up on your PC (on the iTunes software) so you don't loose them.

My favourite is the Razor Sharp "3.5 inch Retina Screen" which I'm thrilled to bits with, I know it'z kinda Sad, but for the 1st day all I could do was look at it.! (beautiful). not far away from Super AMOLED SCREEN QUALITY 'BUT NOT Quite THERE YET Apple'.! 'Super AMOLED' IS THE VERY BEST I hope Apple have it on the next 5th edition

off course, there's many other features the "iPod Touch" has, including the new operating system, but I have just covered the main ones.!

Don't forget to get a nice soft case...

Thanks for reading...

5.0 out of 5 stars Music heaven, 21 May 2011
T. Jackson "TJ" (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I looked for a long time for an Ipod that would be the best one for me. This has not disappointed. I have loaded TV episodes, music and video with no problems. The sound quality is great and having the full screen view is easy to see the programme. I also have a Nano (older type) and this is definately better and easier to navigate. It appears to me very much like a touch screen phone, where all the options for use are on the main screen. Logos show all the options available for use, such as music, safari (internet), face time (talking to others with this app), camera/video, this can take video/photos facing you or away from you with the touch of a button (clever to have 2 cameras installed). Quality of these pictures are not excellent, but great for catching the 'moment'. Easy to upload these. Once you have loaded the itunes program, once you sync the ipod (happens automatically once you have set it up) it downloads the pictures to your ocmputer. It also backs up your ipod to your computer at the same time. There also a new faciltiy to locate your ipod and clean the harddrive, this is incase you loose it and need to wipe the images. A good idea if it falls into the wrong hands. There are many more features, but these are the ones I use mostly and I wouldn't like to pass judgement on other areas I haven't tried. But there are also games, maps, calendar and a link direct to the apple store. I would recommend this item, the only downside is that the battery needs charging regulary. Obviously this depends on how much you use it, but I use mine perhaps playing music hour a day and switched on checking emails all day and it lasts 3 days before needing a charge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade from the 3gen to 4th Successful., 13 May 2011
GratuitousViolets "Ash" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I've had the 3rd Generation iPod since April of last year. Easy to say that I cannot be without my iPod no matter what I'm doing as it has so many different apps in it that are useful, entertaining and informative. Whether I want to check the weather, kill some time with a mini-game, calculate some numbers, check my online banking or send some emails, this is the gadget that saves me the time of having to go boot up my laptop and sign into various websites or load up various software.

My original iPod was the 3rd Generation 8gb. I have to say one of the biggest mistakes of my life was not thinking ahead and getting the 32gb - if I had I wouldn't have needed to upgrade. One must remember, that when you buy an iPod, there's basically NOTHING on there - you have to actually download iTunes and connect it to the thing through a computer and a live internet connection to get the software on the iPod working, and this generally takes up about 1gb of info on it's own, which doesn't leave much for songs and apps (and believe me, once you get started, it can be alot).

The 4th Gen iPod boasts some new features that the previous version didn't have and so many things I couldn't fault from upgrading...

* Its own microphone. If you have a modem at home that supports wifi, then you can use the net with this and downloading SKYPE lets you make internet calls for free to your friends and family.
* Its own camera. Not only does it have two camera modes (front and back) but it also allows to you to take video footage. While the camera quality is admittedly quite rubbish, it's good for on the go, loads blisteringly fast, and also allows you to use video chat on programs like Yahoo and Skype (and I should mention, these apps are free!).
* The retina display is far superior to the previous models. I downloaded an app full of wallpapers, and the graphics were so stunning they almost looked 3D, and were so sharp it almost hurt to look at them. The colours are more vivid, and the detail is absolutely staggering.
* Slightly smaller in width (not by a whole lot). Much easier to hold and doesn't hurt the hand is much. I've heard people also compliment the fact it doesn't weigh as much as the previous iPod but I couldn't tell much difference between them in weight.
* Because iTunes backs up your iPod from synchronization, you don't really have to do much to get everything the way it was on the previous iPod if you're upgrading. Takes a while to put everything on it from brand new, but saves so much time in having to re-look up all your old apps. Plus, you actually get to keep your licenses.
* Included apps (non-optional) are as follows: Calander (lets you actually set reminders, etc, great handy app), email, Safari (iPod's version of internet explorer), Yahoo! Weather, Clock (can use as a timer, alarm, reminder, or world clock), Youtube, Calculator, Facetime, Voice Memos, Notes and App Store. You can't delete any of these from the lineup, and you'll find yourself using most if not all of them.

Everyone I've let try this has become hooked (it's hard to get it back from them at times). Would recommend everyone have an iPod, it's like having a small laptop at your disposal.

A few good notes I'll mention: Amazon Kindle has an app for this now, and many books for free...so take advantage. Using the app is a breeze and it's much more convenient and comfortable to hold than a book (and way more portable). Records video very nicely, much nicer than the photographs it takes, but please remember if you are going to use this to take video, you must tilt it to landscape mode, otherwise you end up with a skinny video at the completely wrong angle! Also note, the camera has no flash, and pictures do come out grainy. iTunes constantly updates the App store to include the most popular 25 and 50 free Apps available; I was psyched when I learned this, as I had honestly expected once I got an iPod I would be forever paying through the nose for games and apps, which is just not the case.

For parents: If you're getting your kid one of these, you can rest easy with the assurance that every time they try to download something, they will be prompted to enter the password for the iTunes account linked to the iPod...so if you're the kind of parent who doesn't want to see all kinds of charges flying onto your credit/debit card from iTunes, it's as easy as setting the account up under your name and keeping the password safe from your children - this way if they want to download something, they have to have you enter/authorise it for them every time they try to download something - even if it's a FREE app/song (and lets face it, this is a good way to keep them from downloading unsuitable material too).

I still have a few little gripes here and there about it; the battery life hasn't improved much from the previous models, it still dies out quite fast if you're constantly using it, and the apps still do crash on occasion. Remember also, internet only works from your home/where your modem is so travelling while using the internet is impossible. The earphones that come with it are quite uncomfortable, be prepared to replace them, and you WILL most definitely find yourself replacing the USB wire for the iPod a few times a year (it comes with no mains adapter, but you can order them online) as they are quite flimsy and tend to split/crack. Do consider investing in a case of some sort to house the iPod, as the high shine finish on the back is quite prone to scratching and do definitely invest in getting screen protective film, as it does really prevent the touch screen from getting scratched (saying that though, they are quite scratch resistant screens, but better safe than sorry).

All in all, I'm glad I upgraded to a better model with more memory, now I don't really have to keep an eye on the storage space/have to delete apps/songs to accomodate future downloads. Don't even bother with the 8gb, it fills up too fast. I couldn't be without the iPod, it lets me do everything I need to and I don't really need to adjust to different buttons, etc. The best thing about an iPod touch...no fiddly buttons, which would be great for the technologically challenged. I'll also say that for those who may have limited use in their hands, gadgets like iPod touch are a great asset as you don't need to have much of a grip or put much effort into navigating through the settings/screens. Takes a few moments to adjust to how responsive the screen is, and then everything you do with it thereafter feels so organic and natural that you don't even have to overthink it.

There's so much to say about this that it'd take pages more to explain how incredible this little thing is. I know it's still technically an MP3 player, but it's so much more when you get into it. It's like having a suitcase full of every gadget and tool you'd ever need.