5.0 out of 5 stars 5 to 9
This book is full of very useful information.
I wanted to work on my own and I now have some excellent ideas.
I would recommend it to any one who wants to be there own boss.
Published on 28 Jun 2011 by christine

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as far as it goes
If the book is intended to encourage you to start a 5 to 9 business then it succeeds, though the case studies sometimes let the content down - some feature such niche markets (origami modeller for instance) that the lessons that can be learnt from them are limited.

Published on 31 Aug 2010 by punter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good as far as it goes, 31 Aug 2010

In terms of practical information there isn't that much. It is mainly a listing of useful websites to support each aspect of that particular chapter.

Overall, a good introduction and an encouragement to start your own business but a light read and not the definitive book that many 5 to 9'ers will be after.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ideal if you can't use internet search tools, 17 Nov 2011
This review is from: Working 5 to 9: How to Start a Successful Business in Your Spare Time (Kindle Edition)
I can't help but feel that this book provides nothing that any decent search engine couldn't provide for free. It's that simple, the business ideas you're provided with aren't the authors, but rather VERY brief summaries of what others have done, and are too brief to be of real value.
Even when it touches on areas such as TAX, and other legalities, you're simply directed to a list of web sites that are of more use.
Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations, but unless you have real difficulties using web search, there is likely better places to look than 5 to 9.

2.0 out of 5 stars not as expected, 25 Sep 2011
J. A. Booth - See all my reviews
This book was nothing like I expected so am therefore disappointed with its content. It would have been useful to have seen a preview of the pages. However, the book is useful if you do not know what to start selling, but anyone buying this will need to find other ways to access information on how to actually do this, as this is only a book of ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 to 9, 28 Jun 2011
This book is full of very useful information.
I wanted to work on my own and I now have some excellent ideas.
I would recommend it to any one who wants to be there own boss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Working 5 to 9, 15 Aug 2010
I pretty much knew what I was going to get with this book, I read Emma Jones previous title and liked the format and her approach to the subject.
This is more of the same, but focusses a bit more on a variety of home businesses that were set up alongside paid employment.
If you are interested in setting your own business up, then this book has plenty of ideas and should provide you with plenty of motivation and support

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of style but limited substance, 27 May 2010
J. Bonner (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
The previous person's review is so lengthy that it makes me wonder if it's written by the author or someone known to her.

There is nothing wrong with this book per se - it's attractively presented and no doubt there will be some people who find it useful.

I was hoping to get a book that gave in-depth business start-up advice but I didn't think it did this. The main part of the book is devoted to ideas for businesses that other people have started in their spare time. Great promotion for those businesses, but there's no real detail.

Many of the ideas are applicable only to a select number of people, eg you're only going to be able to set yourself up as a lawyer if you're already a qualified lawyer and to me, you can't be a pig farmer only when you come home from your main job because animals need care through the daytime too!

The book contains lots of links to useful websites, but for me, it just didn't give me the specific advice on business plans, financing, marketing etc that I was after.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Useful, 4 Jan 2014
Too much of this book (not apparent from the sample) consists of listings of businesses that are run from home.

Please don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT A GREAT READ, 10 Sep 2013
This book is OK but as others have said, there is nothing that could not be found on the internet
The case studies appear to of a kind that are not every day business and some I would say are far out even for hobbies. all in all I wouldn't have purchased if I had seen the content, it will be going to the charity shop :-(

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but for me personally, 15 April 2013
I would recommend this book for those whom are whole rounded wannabe business people. For me as an performing artist I took tips and hints from the book but couldn't find the exact help I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 25 Nov 2012
You can quickly get a feel for what is required in order to go down this style of career path change. Be prepared to be aggressively challenged if you want to prepare for the big leap to self employment. By following the underlying themes, there is little doubt that the chances of success are a lot higher than if you just play at changing jobs.