Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 24 January 2010
I saw Lumiere on BBC NI (courtesy of cable TV as I live in London) and was blown away by Pauline Scanlon's voice in particular. So I bought two of her solo CDs and this one, and all are absolutely fantastic. There really is a luminous and arresting quality to the songs and voices on this CD, which is really intelligently put together. The songs are a mixture of Irish and English language, and topics as various as disappointed love, a mother lamenting her son's abandonment of the church, and lullabies. There is a real sense of the storyteller about Pauline and Eilis's singing, and since my own copy has now been permanently borrowed by my mother, I am buying a second copy! Really beautiful music, exceptional and highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 5 October 2009
I purchased this beautiful album while on holiday in Ireland and I was enchanted by it pretty much straight away. The beautiful vocals and the rich and sumptuous arrangements give this album an almost ethereal and haunting feel to it. For a début album this is one of the best ones that I've heard.

I would be hard pressed to pick out a favourite on this stunning first effort so I would more than likely say that all the tracks on here are of a high standard. Each track has their own ethereal charm about them and the tender and beautiful vocals just wash over the listener like a summer surf on a beach at sunset. That's the impression I got from listening to this exquisite CD.

I hope they release a second album cause as far as this one is concerned, this is a first class effort and is sure to warm many listeners' hearts when they listen to it. I highly recommend this album simply because it's magical and ethereal and sumptuous to listen to. At the end you feel like there's a warm glow deep down. I could listen to this album all the time and feel warm and know that I've listened to a beautiful gorgeous and sumptuous album.
on 24 August 2010
Two very good individual singers blend superbly to deliver a performance much greater than the sum of the parts.

Their style is beguiling; pretty well all the tracks are good, my current preferences being 'Edward on Lough Ernes's shore','Spencer the Rover' and 'Sile' but plenty of others following closely.

This CD is very easy to listen to, quite lovely, it sounds like they thoroughly enjoyed making it.
on 27 May 2011
I bought this purely on impulse as it was for sale at a very low price in a local shop and cannot recommend it highly enough. Having heard it i would happily have paid full price, something i rarely ever do.

Folk music isnt a specialist area of mine, country and blues is more my area, but i do have some folk cd's among them The Unthanks and Seth Lakemen. Both you could say are among the cream of the crop of their generation. If this resembles anyone i have it is The Unthanks only because os the purity of the sublime female vocals. Whereas The Unthanks are resolutely English in the best sense Lumiere are undoubtably Irish in the same way.

The voices here (Pauline Scanlon and Éilís Kennedy)have an almost ethereal quality which is genuinely bewitching and the sparse instrumentation compliments them perfectly. In fact you could easily listen without any and be just as enchanted and that is a very very rare thing indeed.

On reflection i have a Clannad cd where they sing in Irish Gaelic and these two women make that sound..."stodgy", sorry the only word i could come up with, which Clannad definitely are not.

There is about a third of the album sung in the Irish language and it just proves you don't need to speak a language to appreciate the art. Speaking of Irish initially i wasn't sure if it was Irish or Scots Gealic in some of the titles until track 4. Here a male vocalist shares the spotlight and i thought it was Cristie Moore until i looked at the box. They would be easily at home in such company but Declan Dempsey as he's called was more than able as it was.

To finish, i was smitten with the opening bars of track 1, but by the time they began track 6 Wayfaring Stranger i was head over heels in love with this cd. Buy this and play it to everyone you think will appreciate it, or better still just buy it for them.
on 27 May 2011

on 30 November 2013
I couldn't believe it - 14 5 star reviews. I feel I just have to give a contrary view - if only to provide a bit of balance.

I suppose it presses a lot of buttons, but it doesn't press mine at all. The skill and professionalism are there - but where is the passion?

Too much like easy listening for my taste. I like a bit more bite and find this CD rather bland.
on 15 January 2012
Being a Sinead o'Connor fan, I have her 'Collabrations' CD and on that album she duets with Damien Dempsey on the wonderful 'It's all good' - I'm now a big Damien Dempsey fan :)
Consequently DD teamed up LUMIERE on the hauntingly beautiful 'The West's Awake'. {See the brilliant video on YouTube} This song sends shivers up my spine.

The lovely ladies really are truly gifted singers.I can't recommend this album highly enough: Grand on the ears and you can also improve your history too by listening to the lyrics.
Fair play to LUMIERE, on producing an incredible album together.
on 15 September 2009
This Cd takes your breath away.. got it the day it was released and cant stop playing it. Its haunting.....
on 7 December 2013
I find that folk albums don't often get played much once the initial charm wears off, but this one just keeps finding its way back onto the turntable. Firstly I suppose it's perhaps because there are no strained efforts at singer-songwriting, but a great selection of songs I really wanted to hear done again, simply played with acoustic guitars and of course those gorgeous harmony vocals. (Their second CD, Dearest Dear, is also nice but veers dangerously close to clannadland at times). But this one sits there creating a wonderful glow...they just got it exactly right.
on 1 February 2011
I am surprised there is no review on this CD yet. One of the best CDs I have listened to in a long time and keep on listening. I gave it to all my friends and family as birthday or Xmas gift.
The harmony of the two voices is outstanding, and the second song in Irish Fill Fill A Rún Ó is absolutely fantastic. I can recommend this for the pure pleasure of listening to beautiful singing you will not get tired of. Very relaxing and invigorating at the same time. To step out of a hectic day or just enjoy some moments of relaxations.