5.0 out of 5 stars exquisite music
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by Dog in a Flat Cap

3.0 out of 5 stars Polished and pretty
I couldn't believe it - 14 5 star reviews. I feel I just have to give a contrary view - if only to provide a bit of balance.

I suppose it presses a lot of buttons, but it doesn't press mine at all. The skill and professionalism are there - but where is the passion?

Published 4 months ago by Sigrid

5.0 out of 5 stars exquisite music, 24 Jan 2010
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
I saw Lumiere on BBC NI (courtesy of cable TV as I live in London) and was blown away by Pauline Scanlon's voice in particular. So I bought two of her solo CDs and this one, and all are absolutely fantastic. There really is a luminous and arresting quality to the songs and voices on this CD, which is really intelligently put together. The songs are a mixture of Irish and English language, and topics as various as disappointed love, a mother lamenting her son's abandonment of the church, and lullabies. There is a real sense of the storyteller about Pauline and Eilis's singing, and since my own copy has now been permanently borrowed by my mother, I am buying a second copy! Really beautiful music, exceptional and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Blending, 24 Aug 2010
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
Two very good individual singers blend superbly to deliver a performance much greater than the sum of the parts.

Their style is beguiling; pretty well all the tracks are good, my current preferences being 'Edward on Lough Ernes's shore','Spencer the Rover' and 'Sile' but plenty of others following closely.

This CD is very easy to listen to, quite lovely, it sounds like they thoroughly enjoyed making it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous and sumptuous debut album., 5 Oct 2009
film fan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
I purchased this beautiful album while on holiday in Ireland and I was enchanted by it pretty much straight away. The beautiful vocals and the rich and sumptuous arrangements give this album an almost ethereal and haunting feel to it. For a début album this is one of the best ones that I've heard.

I would be hard pressed to pick out a favourite on this stunning first effort so I would more than likely say that all the tracks on here are of a high standard. Each track has their own ethereal charm about them and the tender and beautiful vocals just wash over the listener like a summer surf on a beach at sunset. That's the impression I got from listening to this exquisite CD.

I hope they release a second album cause as far as this one is concerned, this is a first class effort and is sure to warm many listeners' hearts when they listen to it. I highly recommend this album simply because it's magical and ethereal and sumptuous to listen to. At the end you feel like there's a warm glow deep down. I could listen to this album all the time and feel warm and know that I've listened to a beautiful gorgeous and sumptuous album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Polished and pretty, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)

Too much like easy listening for my taste. I like a bit more bite and find this CD rather bland.

5.0 out of 5 stars enchanting, 15 Sep 2009
Ann O'Shea "Peist Leabhar" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
This Cd takes your breath away.. got it the day it was released and cant stop playing it. Its haunting.....

5.0 out of 5 stars A warm glow, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
I find that folk albums don't often get played much once the initial charm wears off, but this one just keeps finding its way back onto the turntable. Firstly I suppose it's perhaps because there are no strained efforts at singer-songwriting, but a great selection of songs I really wanted to hear done again, simply played with acoustic guitars and of course those gorgeous harmony vocals. (Their second CD, Dearest Dear, is also nice but veers dangerously close to clannadland at times). But this one sits there creating a wonderful glow...they just got it exactly right.

5.0 out of 5 stars At their best!, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
I'm very biased, because I love this style of music, and
these ladies are simply outstanding in their delivery of
it! If you enjoy ellectric guitar, fiddle; viola; electric and
acoustic guitars.....as well as exquisite vocal harmony,
then this is surely for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant vocals and sturdy instrumentation show new light on some great traditional tunes., 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
I have seen and heard Eilis Kennedy perform in Dingle a few times and always enjoy her take on the tunes that she chooses to perform. But these Lumiere recordings are surely breathtaking in their execution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 3 May 2013
J. Bredin "JB" (ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
I never heard about Lumiere until I heard a review of the latest album.
I decided to buy this album with the current, because I was so much impressed with the sample of 'My Dearest Dear' I had to get the previous album. I love the style of the music. I never thought thought songs in the Irish language could sound so beautiful. Again , amazing voices, can't wait to hear them live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent voices, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lumiere (Audio CD)
This record was a real surprise. I bought the record after hearing their youtube version of the traditional song "Come all ye fair and tender ladies". Then discovered that I liked more of the songs on the CD, their voices are excellent and they blend together beautifully. They sing the songs and interpret the lyrics as if they were their own. Best of all is they add a soulful touch into these songs that make you believe in them, great music !.

ARRAY(0xa4a4b6cc)