5.0 out of 5 stars A detective, who is both judge and jury
Published on 18 Mar 2012 by Cheryl M-M

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark Horse
When I first started reading this book I felt that the narrators voice was a little grating, however I decided to persevere with the book and by the end I quite liked Jim Knighthorses sense of humour and arrogance. At times when reading the book I did feel a few phrases had almost been repeated word for word such as his "classic detective pose".
However saying that I...
Published on 10 Dec 2011 by Alice

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark Horse, 10 Dec 2011
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
However saying that I did enjoy the book and was glad I had read. It would have been nice for there to be more interaction with Derrick Booker, the accused murderer, apart from a small conversation at the start he doesn't really feature as a character.
My favourite parts in the book are when Jim and God have their conversation in McDonalds. It gave the book an interesting dimension that I hadn't really seen in other books, especially within this genre.
Overall I did enjoy this book and I would recommend it and if there had been the option to give it 3 and a half stars I would have but it didn't quite merit getting four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A detective, who is both judge and jury, 18 Mar 2012
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved it. What a well rounded, caustic and superbly entertaining book. The characters are strong, with a lot of depth, which in turn makes the reader relate to their situation and feelings. The fact that Jim Knighthorse is the vigilante, who acts upon his sense of right or wrong, only endeared me to him more. He does what most of us would like to do, instead of watching society mollycoddle the abusers, killers and deviants and let them go unpunished, Jim takes matters into his own hands. Aside from the main plot the writer has incorporated a secondary story, which managed to be just as engrossing as the murder. The idea of having Jim debating the existential idea of this persons existence and in doing so questioning his own self, is just done in such an utterly brilliant way. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Downloaded this book onto my kindle for two reasons....first one being the reviews were good and second of all cause it was free. I found it very entertaining and humourous and I just wanted to keep reading. Jim Knighthorse is a great character, I found myself disliking him at first but as you read on, I thought he was just brilliant and very likeable. I look forward to reading more from this series.

1.0 out of 5 stars dull, 9 Mar 2012
B. Lowe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
There's not much to like about this novel. The story line is thin and unoriginal. The hero is a cardboard cut-out of a few badly drawn stereotypes. Even the dialogues with God don't quite lift it out of mediocrity. I'm not going to become a follower of this detective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
When I first began reading this book I found it difficult to relate to the main character of Jim Knighthorse, he seemed arrogant and I could'nt seem to like him, but as I read on through the first couple of chapters I began to see past the arrogance and gain a better understanding of the character.
I found his conversations with God a little disconcerting at first but soon warmed to the idea as I got to know more about Jim himself.
I think the story is well written and the characters interesting and engaging.
By the end of the book I was totally hooked and am looking forward to reading the other books in the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars sorry, didn't do it for me, 7 April 2012
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I didn't get past the first chapter on this book, I found the writing style not to my taste and just didn't like the main character. He came across as so very arrogant and unlike-able that I couldn't bear to stick with him till the end of the book. The plot sounded like it would get more interesting over time, but it didn't grip me to the point that I was willing to ignore the character's flaws and the bland writing style.
Sorry, this book just didn't do it for me, and I went through 5 other free books that week!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Struggle, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really struggled with this character, I wanted to like him but frankly he is just another narcissist who thinks he is clever and funny and tries to deliver a wise crack every line. I found this very tiresome. He can shoot and kill someone because they deserve it or beat them up because they deserve it, he talks to God ( maybe )He wants to relive his youth as football jock. He is bigger than most, smarter than most and if he was chocolate he would eat himself. I can't really find anything endearing about him so won't be reading his next venture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 3 Feb 2012
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I've not had my kindle for long so downloaded a lot of freebies, this was one of them. I'm very impressed, have just bought the next in the series. I quite liked the lack of flowery filling out that you get in some books, which I generally speed read over. I was surprised at the outcome of the book so it wasn't predictable in the least. I also want to know more about the main characters, hence buying the next book. Looked at some of his other titles but vampires don't do it for me so will have to search a bit further if this book proves as good as the firs.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab read!, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Really really enjoyed this book - read it in a day! Great style of writing that really puts you in the shoes of the Jim Knighthorse character. Funny, fast paced - an absolute must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good - My First Kindle Read, 5 Jan 2012
N. Hunt "nicolamill3" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Horse (Jim Knighthorse Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was the first full novel I read on my kindle. I really enjoyed it. I can only hope all free kindle books will be as good as this!