on 9 February 2013
I get married on the 6th of July 2013; some of you will be reading this before then, others after.

This books is SO helpful to any couple who are starting down the road to a serious relationship or marriage!

Covering a wide range of potential issues within marriage, such as money, sex, hopes and aims in life, this book will get you talking, it will get you discussing and it will prepare you before you get married to deal with potential issues that you might face once married. Thus helping you know more clearly if you are both making the right decision by moving ahead with your relationship!

A MUST buy for all couples, who are in any stage within their relationship!

For your information: I asked top leaders from some of the best Churches across Europe and North America for their opinion on what is the top marriage book. After going through their answers the top ones mentioned time and time again are:

1, Love & Respect by Emerson Eggerichs
2, Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married by Gary Chapman
3, The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts by Gary Chapman
4, His Needs, Her Needs: Building an Affair-Proof Marriage by Willard F. Harley
5, Sacred Marriage: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy? by Gary L. Thomas
6, Sheet Music: Uncovering the Secrets of Sexual Intimacy in Marriage by Kevin Leman (with this one I have been advised to only read it a couple of weeks before I get married!)
Comment Comment | Permalink
66 comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2012
This book really opened my eyes to what really i wish id known before i got married. Nobody really shared anything in that book with me until I read the book after 11 years of marriage. It really met all my needs and I wish every intending couple and married couple could read the book over and over again. Thank you
on 9 March 2016
I love the way Gary takes serious subjects and writes about them in a light-hearted way, E.G. the last chapter on personality-differences. As Gary says in the epilogue, even if you're not currently married, you can tuck these thoughts away in your mind for future reference.
on 8 February 2016
Very helpful book... marriage is a great partnership & we need to work at it every day. This book is a helpful insight into what should be thought about before we take that 'step' into our marriages.
on 29 April 2016
This book discusses very important topics which I think couples would do well to be aware of before tying the knot.
There were things I hadn't even thought about, things I had simply assumed who would do it e.g. who would clean the toilet / do the dishes (yep, dishes have to be done lol).
I learnt that love alone is not an adequate foundation, forgiveness is not a feeling, communication is key and a plan is needed for handling money, and also that it's not just marrying the individual but marrying into a family as family dynamics play a role.
on 4 February 2014
This book lists some pointers on things to look out for in preparations leading to marriage and resolve, discuss and reach an amiable conclusion before entering marriage, in order to enter prepared. It's very easy to read and understand, quite focused on the issues and has questions at the end for both parties to discuss which should be very helpful in articulating one's stand and understanding.
on 8 January 2014
I've read this book a few times and at different stages in life and its just as applicable. Personally its less of what to expect from my husband but more of what I need to work on before becoming someone's wife. It also helps you see beyond the 'fantasies of romance' and on the reality but beauty of blending two selfish people together.
on 12 March 2011
Excellent resource for engaged or pre engaged couples.
Lots of insight and practical examples of issues to discuss before marriage. Invaluable!
on 5 November 2015
Amazing book helped us so much to get to know each other with topics we didn't think were so relevant at the time- we got married at 21 and 22 and other books also helped us a lot but this one particularly as each chapter has some interesting points on finance, in laws etc...surely it will help you no matter the age. We advise every engaged friend to read it.
on 22 February 2011
I picked up this book for my finance and I. As a christian couple we were looking for practical help in preparing ourselves for marriage, something that reflected scriptural teachings. I don't know if Dr Chapman believes exactly the things that we do, but this is absolutely irrelevant because the book he's written is honest, deals with potentially very tricky & stressful issues that couples should bear in mind and plan for.
I'm going to buy a copy for every couple in our circle of friends who gets married....it's already been of great help to us!