5.0 out of 5 stars asylum by disturbed
If you enjoy classic disturbed then this album is a must buy, many of the songs being written by david draiman about his past such as the song my child which is about the child that he lost.
Published on 27 Aug 2010 by ben hume

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent album
A decent album, but nothing new or that great.

I'm getting a little bit bored with the song structure disturbed use.
It seems to be a riff is played, then it's palm muted during the verses, then it gets louder,
Published on 30 Sep 2010 by G. Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars asylum by disturbed, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
The stand out songs have to be the title track, asylum and the song, another way to die. however, all the songs have a great story behind them that makes you just want to here more, so as a message to all true disturbed fans, BUY THIS ALBUM NOW!!!!
Also, on the back of the CD it says there are 12 songs but there are in fact, 13 songs, so if you listen to the 13th song at about 1 minute 35 of the way in you will hear a version of the song: I still havn't found what i'm looking for by U2

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, but it's still brilliant, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
I first heard Disturbed with their debut album, when i was a young teen. I soon grew out of that scene, and forgot all about them.
Last year, i heard a newer song by them and quite liked it. They seem to have matured and moved away from their original sound which is great.

Aslyum is on a similar lines to their previous couple of albums...only continuing that trend of making slight changes (improvements to me). Becoming more along the lines of a traditional Heavy metal band with a catchy chorus, great riffs, some solos and mroe clean vocals.
This album has these elements in abundance, yet it is still very much Disturbed.

The vocals stand out as usual, although again i think they have improved a bit more on this release.

Some of my favorite tracks are: Warrior and The Animal, but every song has it's place and i can't pick out a weak moment.

As someone who has not been an avid follower of this band over the years, but who does own all their albums...this album will not dissapoint. I can't see how fans of their last 2 albums would dislike this.

If you're not a fan, and just want some good, solid heavy rock music with good lyrics, vocals, riffs and melodies ..yet sitll being rather heavy then this should be a good buy too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic., 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
I bought the limited edition version for my fiance, who's a massive fan of Disturbed, and has been since day one. He'd got me into listening to them a year and a half ago, if not longer, and I love this album. The track listing, and my opinions on the tracks are as follows:
1. Remnants.
2:44 of absolutely beautiful melodic guitar playing. A first for Disturbed, who have never done an intro for an album before, and I can safely say that I would happily have an entire album full of this.
2. Asylum.
This song follows on directly from Remnants, and the two fit together beautifully. The second single release from Asylum for Disturbed, and a very powerful song about love. You're able to feel David Draiman's (lead singer) emotion the whole way through. The guitar riffs are as fantastic as ever, and of course, there's some iconic Draiman noises.
3. The Infection.
This was definitely my favourite from the album with my first listen through. A deep, powerful, heartstring tugging song about depression eating away at a person's soul ("The infection must die, murder the beast that's been eating me alive") after breaking up with a partner. I love the way you can hear his emotion the whole way through, and the guitar is just fantastic the whole way through. I love the solo, fits in beautifully with the song in general.
4. Warrior.
Admittedly, I really did not like this song when I first heard it, as I've never been a fan of their "The Sickness" stage. The song starts with a guitar riff from Dan Donegan, which continues through the song, giving the song the main stability. The growling grows on you after a few listens, if you prefer their "Believe" stage. This is their latest release, and I'm glad to say that I can happily listen to this now after 10 or so plays.
5. Another Way To Die.
The first single release from Asylum which has a strong bassline and drumbeat. The guitar fits in fantastically around the singing and other instruments. As a whole, AWTD is about how we've destroyed the Earth, and the way we're aware of it, but still don't stop as we're greedy and only really care about our race, but how we're ignorant to poverty. I love the solo in it, as it's just so, so fitting to the song, incredible, but still manages to keep a sombre feel.
6. Never Again.
A controversial song about the Holocaust. David himself is Jewish, and has very strong feelings about the subject. The song is trying to raise awareness of what happened, and saying that it cannot happen again, as the name implies. The solo in this song, bar Remnants is definitely my favourite, as it's absolutely fantastic.
7. The Animal.
Their third release from Asylum. This song has a fantastic, creepy start with weird sound effects. This, quoting the man himself, "is inspired by the movie The Wolfman. It is about somebody who transforms into a werewolf under the light of the full moon." An odd choice for a song meaning for them as they're so deep, normally, but this was also another one of my favourites.
8. Crucified.
In all honesty, this song is a bit slow for me. I've listened to it several times, but I wouldn't know it if it came on, as it doesn't really stand out. Saying that, I like the chorus, as his voice sounds fantastic, it's more of a soft song than their normal loud songs, which is probably why I don't feel it's very special, although I'm sure if I focussed on this song in particular, it would grow on me.
9. Serpentine.
One word. Beautiful. His voice is just incredible in this song. The entirety of the song is very melodic, and the music complements his voice perfectly. Serpentine is about "a succubus demon woman who utilizes her sexuality to prey on the weaknesses of men." You can hear his pain through the whole of the song, "My will cannot endure, as my heart is torn away." Definitely one of my favourites, and it would be a very strong single. My only problem with it is a lack of a solo, but Draiman makes up for it with a whispery, growly bit.
10. My Child.
Another controversial song. It starts off with a baby crying, which isn't really to my tastes. It's about a miscarriage David suffered with his ex girlfriend. I've never really listened to it before, and focussed, so now is my first go. It's a very deep, emotional song, and really makes you feel his pain and sadness. The bridge and chorus are really melodic, vocally, and the drum beat throughout works well with his voice, and the guitar is quite simplistic throughout, which makes a change for Disturbed.
11. Sacrifice.
In all honesty, this song and Crucified are very similar to me, probably because I haven't really listened to either that much. Although, the guitar before the chorus is cool, and David's voice is fantastic on the chorus. This song is about how people have two sides to their personality. The solo is pretty basic, although towards the end, leading into the chorus sounds great.
12. Innocence.
A fantastically, hard hitting song from the group. It's all about corruption within law, and lawyers defending criminals they know are guilty, so they get away with it, so they can reoffend and cause more harm. "Who is innocent? No one is innocent who is innocent." I could actually quote the entire song, every line is that good. A nice drumbeat complements the song and the singing, and there are some funky guitar bits in the chorus which I really like.
13. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.
Disturbed covered U2's ISHFWILF for their hidden track on the album, which starts 1:34 into the last track's silence. Personally, I think it's a fantastic cover, and the guitar riffs are beautiful. David still manages to keep the emotion in the song, whilst making it heavier. I love the solo in the middle of the track as this just makes it Disturbed's own, and it's definitely not awful like some covers are.
Bonus Tracks:
14. Leave It Alone.
This is definitely worth a download. It starts off with a brilliant guitar riff from Dan, and then breaks into David singing about his anger, which the guitar continuing in the background, which is probably my favourite thing about the song. You can see why it's a B-Side, as it doesn't flow like the songs on the album do. The solo is quite reminiscent of AWTD, but this one just isn't quite as good.
15. Down With The Sickness (Live)
These last two are bonus tracks on the Limited Edition copy, which was the version that I bought, as it came with a DVD. I don't like this song, as I don't like the song itself. But David overcompensates when he sings live, since he had an operation on this throat, which ruins the purity of the song, as you can hear him straining, which I don't like. Overall, the singing is okay, but there are some bits where he's really off-key which is a bit painful.
16. Stricken (Live)
The only redeeming feature of this is the giggle you get at 21 seconds when David does his iconic scream. Again, it's very forced, and although it's not his fault, it isn't very enjoyable to listen to. It's a very emotional song, but it doesn't come across as much in this version. My favourite part of this song is the solo, as it's so, so beautiful and full of emotion (I didn't know solos could be full of emotion, but it is, somehow.) and it's absolutely flawless; the crowd rightly cheer as Dan gets into it.

Overall, a fantastic, incredible album, note the huge review.
Stand-out tracks for me are: Remnants, The Infection and Serpentine.
I recommend you buy it as soon as you can, as you're currently missing out on some incredible music. Get the limited edition if you can, you get the expanded album art, the main album art in poster form and Decade of Disturbed/Dissected DVD, which is both inspiring and comical, and the awesome album case layout.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Disturbed, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
Having been a Disturbed fan for quite a while I do have to admit a lot of their songs can sound similar, this album is no exception but don't let that put you off. If you enjoy Disturbed on any level you should at least give it a listen, there are a few stand out tracks most prominent for me being Another Way to Die, The Infection and Warrior.

I think I prefer Indestructible but this album does seem to be trying to strike a similar tone and overall I did enjoy it if not as much as their previous album. However it's still defiantly worth checking out if you're a Disturbed fan or just enjoy this genre of music. I'm not really one for explaining why songs are good I just find that everything gels pretty well here to create some entertaining tracks with some great lyrics and guitar riffs.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent album, 30 Sep 2010
G. Walker "Reviewer" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
A decent album, but nothing new or that great.

I'm getting a little bit bored with the song structure disturbed use.
and then there's some chords played during chorus. It doesn't always happen, but i can't help feel Disturbed's guitarists are a little bit limited in skill on the guitar or creativity, as the riffs are beginning to sound more and more similar to the ones they've already made, and Disturbed never create a riff that you think "wow, how did they come up with this stuff".

I love Ten Thousand Fists, i like Indestructable, this album will be played a few times every now and then.

The only songs i really listen to often, are Serpentine and Infection. The rest of the songs are really quite average.

The songs have meaning, but lack that 'esque that makes you want to headbang to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bes Album Yet, 26 Oct 2010
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
From the instant I heard the first track I knew this was going to be a good album. Every track on the album is epic.
Asylum, Warrior, The Animal, Never Again and Crucified are my favourite tracks on the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the madhouse!, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
This is a really good record by a talented and accomplished band. It starts off with a nice intrumental and guitar solo by Dan Donegan (he does some really good solos on this record) that leads nicely into the title track 'Asylum'. This is a terrific song, twisted, sick and paranoid in equal measure, it is classic Disturbed! Another single released from this album was 'Another way to die', a song about global warming ,it is a bit different to what Disturbed have done in the past but it feels like a great Disturbed track but with an important message in the process (nothing wrong with that). The song that follows on from that 'Never again' shares similar themes of apocalypse but through genocide. References to Nazism and the holocaust is heavy subject matter to tackle but again the message is clear.

The rest of the album is also solid, 'Warrior' and 'Animal' are nice traditional metal anthems, 'My child' is very sad (about the loss of Davids child). 'Sacrifice' might be my favourite track on the album. It conjures up images of a madman in a straight jacket in the asylum or a demented killler about to take his pound of flesh. The album ends with 'Innocence' which deplores how corrupt the justice system is and ends with the line "Has the whole world gone insane?". The artwork is also terrific both on the front cover and in the booklet. I love flicking through album booklets, it adds to the record, something you can't do with a download. If you like Disturbed then you should like this record. Great vocals by David Draiman, good songs, full of sickness and insanity!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this, 17 Jan 2014
Mr. D. Thomas - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
Buy this album then buy all there other albums ,David Draiman as got one wicked voice . He moved on to DEVCE you should give that a try to , very good

5.0 out of 5 stars A great metal album, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
I liked Disturbed before I bought this album!

Now I REALLY like Disturbed! The songsThe Animal, Another Way to Die and The Infection are my favourites.

At thsi price you have nothing to lose.

Go for it - a great purchase for all Metal Heads out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Asylum (Audio CD)
Love this album, and would definitely, highly recommend to any disturbed fan, it's really good quality and is just awesome