Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 September 2010
I've been lucky enough to hear a preview of this album, and am simply stunned. It is the best thing I've heard this year by by miles. Actually for several years. Every track is superb. It really demonstrates what peerless songsmiths Killing Joke are. It is up there with the very best of their previous output and as a complete work is probably their finest. Buy this as soon as it's released. I will be...
44 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2010
This album has just blown me away. After my disappointment with Hosannas and (I have to admit) the 2003 album as well, this will for me be one of their most definitive pieces of work. It's just about all there, nearly all the combined strengths of the band, drawing on their large canon of work from the last three decades.

I say nearly. Paul Ferguson's tribal drumming that so characterised the distinctive Killing Joke sound of the 80s is only hinted at, but this isn't a negative. It's still powerful in its raw style and, together with Youth's bass, keep most tracks thundering along from start to finish. Like Hosannas, there are a lot of tracks between 5 and 6 minutes long but unlike that previous album where I began to wish one or two of the tracks would just end, here they sit just fine. Of course, this is in no small part to do with the welcome return of Jaz Coleman's anthemic singing which made both the Night Time/BTATS and Pandemonium/Democracy 'eras' such great times for Killing joke fans. Thankfully too, Geordie has taken a step or two back from the simple 'thrash' guitar of the previous two records (where I thought he was completely wasting his unique talents) and in some parts returned to the 'classic' Killing Joke sound - check out the fantastic Eighties-style Here Comes the Singularity.

On some tracks the thrash is still there mind, as is Jaz's bellow, but this time around they are fused with the equally dissonant sound of the first three albums. Oh, we have joy indeed! With tracks like Fresh Fever From the Skies, Absolute Dissent and in particular Depthcharge we hear (or at least I hear) the colliding of the two eponymous albums, or Revelations vs. Hosannas. Throw in a bit of European Super State trance and Ghosts of Ladbroke Grove dub and you have Killing Joke's most eclectic album to date.

I don't have the musical jargon at my disposal to properly give justice to this album, but I can't think that there will be many Killing Joke fans from either the 80s, 90s or 2000s that will be disappointed with this latest offering (except maybe those who swear by Outside the Gate).

Brilliant. Uplifting. Stick the Raven King on loud and you'll know exactly what I mean. Sublime, just sublime. Back to their best? Only time will tell, but I for one have all ready decided.
88 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2010
I've been a joke fan for 25years.But every album they have made has momments of brilliance,but also a few tracks that ,for me were not really up to the mark! I've loved every album since Nightime, but there has always been filler tracks that have made listening to the whole album a slightly less than perfect experience. That is up untill now!
This album is powerful, passionate and euphoric.There is not a single track on this album that is not perfect.

LISTEN TO IT LOUD!
IT'S LIKE HOLDING THE HAND OF THE DEVIL WHILST LOOKING INTO THE FACE OF GOD!

AMAZING!
on 24 January 2016
Excellent and possibly more balanced than recordings 95-2005.Having encountered this in reverse having had the "experience" of Seeing KJ on the Pylon tour .Prior to that my journey stopped at Eighties.In order of ranking would say that this is#3 in recent releases with MMXII sitting #1 followed by the extremely brutal Pylon.
on 1 October 2010

(On this edition you get a second CD of cover versions of past Killing Joke songs. I'd rather have it than not but I reckon many Killing Joke fans may put it down as an interesting curio if they're not all ready into one or two of the bands included. It's always hard to improve on an original version of any song - Metallica's The Wait and Helmet's Primitive are valiant efforts, but for me none of them improve or add anything to the originals. Then again I am biased. It is a tribute CD after all, and all kudos to the bands featured here for acknowledging one of the most influential bands on the planet).
on 2 October 2010
Incredibly,this completely 'undiscovered' band of 30 yrs will remain so for eternity.Such is the fickle nature of the masses that cannot,will not see genius in their midst.More fool them.This work is no less than a masterpiece of controlled brutal intelligence that leaves everything else in its wake.This is the greatest KJ album since their other masterpiece-Whats This For,30 yrs ago.There were moments of brilliance on KJ03 and Hosannas to keep me listening,but this latest offering is just in a league of its own.I can honestly say that every single track is a joy to behold.I can never understand why KJ are always seen as negative doomongers by the uninitiated,as i always find their music to be totally uplifting and euphoric.If this is the last album,then it will bookend a quite unique,influential career.
on 23 November 2014
After more than 30 years in the game, Killing Joke produced their finest album. They have been responsible for some great stuff but have also produced more than their fair share of monotonous dirges. This album is different, it's a full on sonic assault from the first beautiful moment to the last! It's the sonic equivalent of a knuckle duster inside a velvet glove, brutal but gorgeous.
on 2 October 2010
Best release by any band for a long time -- Not very useful? Well, it's all been said in these other excellent and insightful messages. Never been moved to write a 'review' for anything before, but needed to add my recommendation to this brilliant piece of work.
on 1 October 2010
The effect of playing this through for the first time has left me with a lingering disturbed feeling, some of the tracks open up the state of the times we live in, and get under my skin making the subject matter unsettling. Other tracks are stunningly beautiful and uplifting. Either way, it is genius and a beautiful piece of work.
It just demands to be played again and again. And i will be playing it over and over (studying every lyric Jaz). It's already loaded on my pc, my phone, and copied in my cars cd stack - the original tucked into my hifi in the lounge for home listening. Sit down, open a bottle of red, put on your headphones and travel through it. You never know what you are going to get from one track to the next first listen so enjoy the surprise experience.
I simply cannot describe how important and relevant this album is. It will be a perfect snapshot of our time now when looked back upon in the uncertain decades to come.
Read the lyrics, it means something, we are not all asleep. As long as some of us out there are buying music like this then there is hope...
on 16 September 2010
There is nothing tired or dull about this new album. It's quite simply a brilliant Killing Joke album with everything you expect from them as a band, especially the individual elements of each member, together for the first time in years.

Big Paul's drumming is steady, Youth's bass roars and Geordie's guitar grinds.The first three tracks are my favourite with plenty of anthemic and intense vocals from Jaz. I couldn't help singing the chorus' of 'The Great Cull' and 'In Excelsis', even on the first listen, because it they just suck you in.

I suspect 'The Raven King' is a tribute to erstwhile bass player Paul Raven. Starts off with gentle keyboards, like a track from 'Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (Restored Mixes Version) before building up to a triumphant chorus.

I'm less keen on 'European Super State' because of the dance beat but because it's surrounded by such brilliance I quickly forgot about it. By the time the last track plays out you will be wishing for more....... so just put it on repeat and feel your brain melt!!