5.0 out of 5 stars Dixie Chicks Essential Listening
Published on 12 Sept. 2011 by Mysterious Squirrel

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I was happy to get this on cd
Published 5 months ago by Dennis Tayler

5.0 out of 5 stars Dixie Chicks Essential Listening, 12 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Essential Dixie Chicks (Audio CD)
As a relative newcomer to the music of the Dixie Chicks, after hearing 'Nobody Knows' on the radio I delved a bit further. These three ladies might look like your stereotypical country girl ditzes putting out cheesy songs but that, I am pleased to tell you, is all packaging and far from the reality. What you have here are/is a very talented trio who can put a decent song together and do it pretty darn well.

Not a C/W fan myself but this crosses into the country rock territory where say, Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band never really ventured. An easy blend of country/rock with great melodies and arrangements.

If you're already a fan of the Dixie Chicks then there's nothing here that you would not have already heard on previous albums but with 30 tracks over two discs and some semi informative sleeve notes this is probably the best introduction to the band and of course, if you're a C/W fan and get along with mid American rock,this album will fit into your collection perfectly.

MS

5.0 out of 5 stars Gotta love this band!!, 13 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Essential Dixie Chicks (Audio CD)
The Dixie Chicks are a contemporary country band, and i have followed their music for some time now. I would most definately say that they are probably the reason that i love country music so much. Each song is so unique, lovable and very catchy.

For me my favourite songs are ' You were mine', ' Not ready to make nice', Travelin Soldier' and 'Tonights the heartache's on me'. To be absolutely honest i cannot say that i don't like any songs that the Dixie Chicks have done because they are all fab.

So if you like Country music and have never listened to them before then, I would definately give them a go. Similar sounds are Miranda Lambert and The Band Perry.

Happy Listening :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Dixie Chicks, 7 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Essential Dixie Chicks (Audio CD)
Heard the album reviewed on the Bob Harris country show on Radio 2. This is a fantastic compilation spanning the Dixie Chicks career. Multi talented players and great voices. I havent stopped playing this since I bought it. A must for all music lovers collections

4.0 out of 5 stars This is great, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Essential Dixie Chicks (Audio CD)
I'm not a massive fan of country music but I really like this album which I bought on a whim having never heard the Dixie Chicks before. There is so much to enjoy here for fans of all musical genres. Disc one has mostly more recent songs and the writing is more mature - highlights include Not Ready to Make Nice (fantastic), The Long Way Round, Easy Silence, Lubbock or Leave It, Everybody Knows, Travelin' Soldier and White Trash Wedding. The songs on disc 2 are older and the "chicks" don't write them in the main but they are still extremely enjoyable. My favourites include Ready to Run, Cowboy Take me Away, Sin Wagon, Goodbye Earl and Give it up or let me go.

The above songs are my favourites but I really don't think there is a bad song on this 2-CD compilation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great listening cd!, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Essential Dixie Chicks (Audio CD)
Love the DC's - a recent convert and having borrowed a few of their cds from family etc - decided to get my own copy - so glad I did - love all the songs - always return to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dixie Chicks Classics, 10 April 2012
This review is from: The Essential Dixie Chicks (Audio CD)
"The Essential Dixie Chicks" contains a good medley of great country tunes. The following is a riveting sampler of the hits on this two disc set:
Ready To Run
Cowboy Take Me Away
Wide Open Spaces
Some Days You Gotta Dance
"The Essential Dixie Chicks" is great for anyone who likes bold country music.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Country' doesn't have to be naff!, 9 May 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Essential Dixie Chicks (Audio CD)
The Country genre is probably the least represented in my large CD collection and as a semi-pro live band photographer, I have my credibility to try and keep intact!

I've had one of those 'World's Best' sort of Country double CD compilations, that was of some interest for a bit. I since wanted something with more depth and continuity i.e. the same artist. Dixie Chicks was a name I had come across, but like so many things, hadn't explored further - often it's only by buying something do you finally get to see if you like it, or not. The 'Chicks' also scored by being all-female (I didn't want Willie Nelson crooning at me!) and seemed to be authentic but also commercial. To some extent, if someone is immensely popular in a region and genre where the target audience is, then they must be doing something right.

I'm not going to pick songs out - mostly because I wanted - and got - a great backing "sound" that is cheerful, swinging and tuneful and one I can listen to whilst doing other things. Dixie Chicks aren't like my favourite Prog Rock, where you turn off the light and immerse yourself in the soundscapes.

My message is aiming to be, that if you're a bit scared and wary of dipping your toe into this area of oft-maligned music, this album is a fine and credible entry point, even if you're probably not going to buy another Country CD for a long while, like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Business, 4 Jun. 2013
J. Potts "Twiggy" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Fantastic compilation of tunes from the feisty trio. I will bring down the wrath of Fleetwood Mac fans by saying the Dixie Chicks' version of "Landslide" is better than the original - but it is. Super sassy blue grass - and not as remorselessly sad as Alison Krauss can be (still an amazing voice though!)

5.0 out of 5 stars can country music ever be better than this, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Essential Dixie Chicks (Audio CD)
i would not say i was a country music fan - the most country i go is usually uncle tupelo, poco, steve earle, emmilou harris, and michelle shocked, this album is about as country as you can get without going daft. yet done with verve, intelligence, and huge vocal and musical talent. there are only say two dud tracks and the rest vary from catchy to outstanding. all moods are covered , from the comic to the sad, from the gutsy to the plaintive. i do not know enough of the bands work to know how representative this album is of their stuff, but it certainly sounds like a wide range of their best is included here, including of course the wonderfully funny song earl must die.

and for 2 discs it is so cheap. whether you like country or not - or perhaps especially if you dont - buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan Freeking Tastic, 30 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Essential Dixie Chicks (Audio CD)
I had never heard of the Dixie Chicks until I watched an episode of the Simpsons. I heard their single Landslide and loved it and then Cowboy Take Me Away and then saw these hits and listened and I love all of their tracks.

These women are extremely talented and really set country music alight. I love how talented they are, its hard to say which are my favourites, Not Ready To Make Nice, Taking The Long Way Round, Bitter End, Long Time Gone, Travelling Soldier, Landslide, Lil Jack Slade, White Trash Wedding, Ready To Run, Cowboy Take Me Away, Wide Open Space (my favourite track), There's Your Trouble, You Were Mine and I Can Love You Better I probably love the whole album.

I am aware they're on hiatus but hopefully one day they will return and I will be ready for their next album

The Essential Dixie Chicks
The Essential Dixie Chicks by Dixie Chicks (Audio CD - 2010)