5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant live CD, 14 Mar 2009
J. M. Ward (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where The Light Is (Audio CD)
For anyone who hasn't heard of John Mayer as a musician, then let me tell you he is an amazing guitarist, songwriter and singer. I've been listening to his stuff for a couple of years now, but then I saw him play live in Manchester last year and was blown away by just how good he was. This man is a serious talent, and deserves to be heard by a wider UK audience.

It pains me to say that he is mostly known in the country for his list of famous girlfriends, and he's often to be seen on the cover of Heat, OK and other such mags with his most famous squeeze, Jennifer Aniston. DON'T LET THAT PUT YOU OFF! John Mayer is a serious, and seriously good musician. Have a listen to him if you don't believe me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 18 July 2008
This review is from: Where The Light Is (Audio CD)
This is a truly excellent album. THe acoustic sets are superb and show John Mayer off as the brilliant guitarist that he is. The trio sets and in deed some of the full band songs sound very much like Jimmie Vaughan. It is excellent, the songs are his best, from all previous album, but live. The small twiddly bits between/ leading into songs are very good and original. I would definitely recommend this any day to anyone who like rock, blues or jazz.(I mostly listen to metal by Mayer is the Jazz man that I like, he is a shinning example for all those in his genre) *****. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can it ever get any better?, 15 Oct 2008
M. J. McCabe (Nottinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where The Light Is (Audio CD)
I am no stranger to reviewing material by John Mayer and I know that sometimes I can come over as evangelical in my praise, but how else can you describe such an immense talent?
The SRV analogies are bound to resonate through other reviews, and I'm sure the talented Mr M would not baulk at the comparison. However, when a 'white man plays the blues', these analogies are all too easy to use and this takes away from the originality of John Mayer's skills as a songwriter. 'Stop This Train' is the most powerful song with the most simple delivery that I have heard, and is a song which, in its live format, I often find I'm too sensitive to listen to. I am fortunate to have seen him live on two occasions, but have only seen him perform this song on the first. I almost didn't want him to do it - it feels too personal to share with thousands of others (like having your mind read by perfect strangers) and his delivery on this album moves me to tears. Quite how he can get through it, baring his soul, I do not know. But I'm very grateful that he does.
This is essentially three live sets for the price of one. His accoustic set is sheer virtuosity, the Trio is, well, The Trio and the band set gives you all that you expect when you think John Mayer. He seems to have no specific genre - how can you compare a song like 'Neon' to 'Slow Dancing In a Burning Room' and then throw in interpretations of the likes of 'I Don't Need No Doctor'? His appeal is so broad as to attract fawning girl fans and middle-aged male guitar afficianados alike (I fall somewhere in between!). I had considered Continuum to be his magnum opus, and couldn't imagine that he could make a better-sounding cd. Happily, I was wrong, and he continues to push my buttons (all of them). Long may it continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for the blues buff, 7 July 2008
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Where The Light Is (Audio CD)
This is the first I have heard of John Mayer and I am very impressed indeed. An advantage of such live albums is that you get a sense of immediacy which, with a singer/songwriter working mainly at the blues end of the spectrum, can often be lost in the confines of a studio. In this case Mayer clearly connects well with his audience and by splitting his perfomance into three distinct styles he shows off a wide repertoire of skills.

The first section is solo acoustic, very much in the style of a typical singer songwriter, with songs on the folk/blues borderline typified by a version of Tom Petty's Freefalling which is really rather good. Mayer's husky voice and exemplary guitar playing remind me a bit of Kelly Joe Phelps without the slide guitar.

The second section of disc one is performed as a trio, and allows Mayer to rock out a bit, very much in the style of Hendrix (there are a couple of covers) this is still rooted in the blues with a hint of jazz thrown in.

The whole of the second disc is performed by the John Mayer band and is not the rock wig out I was expecting. Covering a variety of styles and songs my immediate thought was that it was most like John Hiatt overall, with a hint of brass here and there, a mellow fuzzy guitar style and a fair bit of funk and gentle soul. For me the standout track of this disc and indeed the album is Slow dancing in a burning room, which is a Thin Lizzyesque ballad which is ended by a couple of minutes of twin guitar soaring and tumbling, very much in the manner of Gorham and Robertson.

Overall a fine introduction to this artist which has encouraged me to seek out the back catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars if your stuck on planes for 24hours...check this out, 28 Jan 2010
This review is from: Where The Light Is (Audio CD)
Note to self: when flying from Australia to England, don't.
Don't unless you have this album.
It was in the tv screens that are preloaded with albums, movies, games etc
And I have to say it killed so much time, well more than killed it, this music made it enjoyable.
Theres three sections as it says. The chilled out acoustic set, the bluesy trio and then the classic full band.
Its a great live album, and if you've liked any of his songs in the past, or need to fill out your collection a little more I defintely recommend this album.
Its Ive-got-your-back-love!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an expert, but..., 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Where The Light Is: John Mayer Live In Los Angeles (MP3 Download)
I know there will be huge Mayer fans out there complaining this isn't the best live album or whatever but I discovered this recently and haven't been able to stop listening to it. I've never really listen to John Mayer before but this really is exceptional. The songs themselves are excellent but the playing is superlative. Encore.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb album, 16 Jan 2012
a great blues/rock/pop mash-up at a concert i would have loved to attended! combination of songs, the crowd's re-action and of course JM & band's superb delivery makes this album one of my current favorites... great for intense listening, great for back-ground, great for the car... just great!

5.0 out of 5 stars ace, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Where The Light Is (Audio CD)
this is one of the best live albums I've heard, the first five songs are amazing. i can't imagine ever not wanting to listen to this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly enjoyable, 12 Nov 2009
This review is from: Where The Light Is (Audio CD)
I just love this album! It inspired me to attempt to be first in line for his upcoming show in London (did not succeed in this quest but got the tickets) and truly tuned me in to what a talented, fresh and exciting musician John Mayer is.

The three segments of the show make this double album sound like three very different albums and there is a raw power to many of his songs that his studio albums don't quite capture. Most of 'Continuum' is featured here, as well as highlights from previous albums and a wonderful acoustic version of Tom Petty's 'Free Falling'- this album serves as a perfect introduction to John Mayer.

I can not recommned this album enough - but I do recommend that you watch the show too (check it out on You Tube if you don't want to buy the DVD) - complete your John Mayer experience - you wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite simply Fantastic, 17 July 2009
S. Sims (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Where The Light Is (Audio CD)
I've got to say this Album is just great. i'd only heard a few of John Mayers songs beofre this album but figured i'd get it since a few of my mates said it was very good. it is quite simply fantastic.

The range this guy has in his music is amazing. Blues, Jazz Funk, Some Hendrix Covers, Pop Folk. and he is as just unbelivably talented with the guitar.

if you aren't a fan of guitar driven music then this quite obviously isn't for you but if you have any kind of love for the instrument (be it playing or just listening) this is a great album to have