4.0 out of 5 stars Such potential
I remember watching this on BBC2 when I was 9 or 10 and enjoying it.
It's just as good as I remember, ok so the script is a little corny in places and the acting can be a bit wooden but it's got plenty of action and explosions.
Published on 9 July 2012 by S. Woodhouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss Playability in the UK?
I've got both a multi-region DVD player AND a Region 1 set laptop, but neither of them would play this set. I took it to a friend's house where he put it onto his DVD player and it played OK.

The series is great, but it seems a bit hit and miss if your player will play this in the UK.

I gave it to my friend...
Published 3 months ago by J. Palmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Such potential, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Space Precinct [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
I remember watching this on BBC2 when I was 9 or 10 and enjoying it.
It was a series I felt had so much potential (I would add Eerie Indiana and Wonderfalls to this category), maybe some better script writers might have helped but it deserved a second series.
Box set is simple, 5 discs in a double width DVD case, no subtitles, dolby 2.0 sound and reasonable picture quality.
##IMPORTANT##, this has literally been ripped from the US TV feed, it breaks every 10 minutes for adverts so we get a small animation and 1 second black gap before the animation again, in total about 5/6 seconds, not a deal breaker but it gets annoying if you watch several episodes in a row.
As there doesn't seem to be a UK release of this you have to accept it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rival to Trek and B5?, 6 Jan. 2012
I'll admit it, I'm an Anderson Fan. No surprise then that I enjoyed seeing this again.

It's better than I remember, but is really a cop show set in an unusual precinct, with some characters made up as aliens. So what is wrong with that - nothing I say and a very enjoyable romp through these discs I have had.

I'm surprised by the accusation of racism levied by the one star reviewer here. Did he get past episode 1 I wonder as that is the only episode that shows an alien with unsavory habits. You can't even levy the accusation that it is always the aliens who are the bad guys, there is an even spread amongst them and the humans.

Gerry Anderson as well, is well known for breaking down racist barriers and showing Black characters in prominent roles over the years, so even if the aliens are an allegory, then this must be subliminally promoting race relations.

Back to the series, the stories are imaginative (a number of the themes explored have surfaced in Babylon 5 and Trek universes), the prosthetics rival anything in say Babylon 5 (there is even a character who could be the fore-runner (in make up terms) of the Soul Hunter).

I'd recommend this if you are an Anderson Fan, but check out the prices on Amazon.com (and exchange rate) as if under £18 it does not attract import duty.

4.0 out of 5 stars An under-rated Anderson gem, 7 Aug. 2013
I bought this box set for three reasons: 1. Simone Bendix, irrestistible in or out of uniform 2. Gerry Anderson was the series creator and producer 3. I like science-fiction shows in general. I would have purchased it in Region 2 format but it doesn't seem to exist as such, apart from in wildly expensive single episodes; I don't have a multi-region DVD player but it's not hard to find out on the Internet how to 'dezone' your machine using the remote control so that it will play discs from anywhere in the world. The purchase price was frankly ridiculous compared to many new DVDs that appear on the market and delivery to Europe from the USA is quite fast.

Although a Gerry Anderson 'fan' of both puppet and live action shows (Thunderbirds, Space 1999, Captain Scarlet, UFO etc) I had not previously seen 'Space Precinct' (I live in France - well, somebody has to) and I'm not sure it has ever been on TV here. I didn't really know what to expect as some older sci-fi programmes can show their age and some reviews of this show were mitigated. However, I must say that having almost come to the end, I am really enjoying it. The 'human' actors do not take themselves too seriously and the programme contains quite a little humour. The masks that the 'alien' creatures wear are superb in my view - each is different and allows for eye movement and facial expressions that almost make you forget you are watching 'a man (or woman) in a suit' and the characters have a distinct personality.

Some say the story lines are a little corny, perhaps so but they are entertaining and allow for the car chases and explosions and superb models (such as the robot Slomo) that we associate with other Anderson productions. There is even a little suspense - will Officer Haldane finally get the girl (Officer Castle)? One wonders what on earth (or should I say on Altor) is the man waiting for! It is true that the commercial break 'bumpers' can be somewhat frustrating every few minutes but you get used to them. One regrets no subtitles and no bonus features but the five discs fit nicely in plastic case only 1½ times as thick as a normal one. This set is well worth taking the risk - I think you'll probably succumb to its charm (and certainly that of Simone...)

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss Playability in the UK?, 26 Jan. 2015
J. Palmer "The Big Bear" (Devon) - See all my reviews

I gave it to my friend...

3.0 out of 5 stars Space Precinct [DVD] [1995] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC], 4 Aug. 2014
It is was good to see the old tv show again but with this box-set being a US import . The dvd production company have been a little lazy and left all of the US advert (Thats English for Commercial) in and out bumpers . It gets a little annoying after a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Sept. 2014
Just another great program from Gerry Anderson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally complete season on DVD !, 13 Oct. 2010
I'm waiting for this release so long and I'm so very happy the complete season will be on DVD (regio 1)available in nov 2010 !
I don't know if there will be subtitles available, but I'll buy it anyway !

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun. 2014
had no problems

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 April 2014
I am very happy with this item and would use again and would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but boxset could have been better., 7 Feb. 2011
As an avid sci-fi fan, I was well chuffed when I read that Space Precinct was coming in a complete box set instead of those over-priced volume dvd editions.

I got this from America from one of the amazon sellers, and while I was glad I had got it, I was slightly dissapointed with what I got.

It comes in a thick plastic dvd box like Streethawk did, a nice shiny cover, but there was no booklet and the dvds are just plain silver discs with Space Precinct in Black capital letter lettering.

But if you look at the picture, it looks like it would come in a shiny cardboard outer with the case inside.

For the £26 that I paid, I would have expected more.