5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 17 Sep 2010
This review is from: Pins And Needles (MP3 Download)
The Birthday Massacre are back with a new studio album. I cannot believe just how good it is. I am the proud owner of every album they have released and it amazes me that they get better and better with each new release (and I thought they were near perfect to begin with). I cannot stress enough how each song just launches itself into your head and carries you off into a land of dreams. The synth is pure atmospheric, the rhythm has perfect timing, the guitars are loud and proud and the vocals are just beautiful. Put them together and you have music to fall in love with. If you haven't heard of The Birthday Massacre yet then you're in for a treat and if you have heard of them then you won't be dissapointed. I could go on and on but I'll finish by saying that this album has just made my year. I hope fellow purchasers will enjoy this album as much as I am, now and forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2010, 21 Sep 2010
This review is from: Pins & Needles (Audio CD)
After their last studio album 'Walking with Strangers' was released 3 years ago, the band set out on numerous tours (both as supporting acts and headlining) including some dates in the UK. With the release of the EP 'Looking Glass' with an accommodating music video and a live album; it's become clear that The Birthday Massacre are here to stay with their unique sound (Synth rock with New Wave and retro elements) and look (Alice in Wonderland meets Horror). I've loved them since their 'Violet' album and the band has gone strength to strength from then. 'Pins and Needles' is no different; sure you could argue it's 'more of the same' and the music is somewhat lighter in tone compared to their previous works (you won't find the likes of 'Blue' or 'Lover's End' here) but if you've been a fan up till now, there's no reason you won't like their latest offering.

It's quite clear from the offset that the band have a higher budget and know exactly how to deliver their sound as the entire production of the album is much tighter, Chibi has more control over her vocals and the album flows naturally from one track to the next. On the lyrical side they've got it down to a T, fantastic examples include "She wears a dress like a body bag" from 'Shallow Grave' and "I can't decide which one of us will leave here alive" from 'Midnight'.

The albums' strengths are in the harder hitting tracks; opening track and lead single 'In the Dark' hits you smack in the face with the guitars, Chibi's sweet singing and haunting lyrics that will stick with you long after you've stopped listening to it. 'Control' sees the return of Chibi's growling during the verses but with the added electric effect to her voice and great guitar licks, this track will be one getting the crowd going at gigs. 'Sleepwalker', my favourite track of the album, contains on the best guitar riffs they've ever done, I heard a poor quality live performance before the album release, I loved it then and I love it more now.

The rockier tracks are great but that's not to say that the slower tracks aren't up to much; I'm quite partial to 'Always' with its tear jerking melody and relatable words and 'Pins and Needles' starts off as a heavy hitter but gives away to the catchy mid-tempo verses.

The important thing to mention is that Birthday Massacre albums have always been growers; I hated 'Science' from 'Walking with Strangers' at first but now I can't skip it when I play that album. At the moment 'Secret' and 'Two Hearts' have failed to grab me (the latter's chorus being too similar to previous mid-tempo songs they've done before) but a few months from now I'll probably be singing them praises.

At 11 tracks the album does go rather quickly but every minute spent is very much worth your time. Birthday Massacre fans - grab this album, it's just as good as their previous efforts. Newbies - go buy Violet, love it, then come back and put this in your basket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where have you been all my life?!, 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: Pins And Needles (MP3 Download)
Don't you just love it when you find a random band you've never heard of and instantly fall in love with it? That is what happened in my case with The Birthday Massacre. Popping up randomly in my suggested list, 'Pins and Needles' is one of the best albums this year, or in my case, THE best album of 2010. It's very haunting yet amazing to listen to at the same time, combining some hard hitting rifts with eerie electro/synth. I still can't place the actual genre: gothicy-synthy-melodic-hard rock? Well in any case if it's VERY UNIQUE which is something the music industry seems to be lacking in recent years.

Standout tracks include the title track 'Pins and Needles' and 'Control'. Definately a 5-star album. Now excuse me while I raid my piggy-bank for their back catalogue...

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one.., 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pins And Needles (MP3 Download)
I must have worn my ears out listening to this band for almost two years. I regard Pins And Needles as my favourite of their albums simply due to the consistency of decent music on it. At the time of writing this though, I've just discovered that their live album Show And Tell almost eclipses it for quality. I come from a Metal background and someone who occasionally liked to listen to Within Temptation and Delain, but The Birthday Massacre are far better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Pins & Needles (Audio CD)
Big fan of the birthday massacre, the album arrived in perfect condition and quickly, happy to own a physical copy and support the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly done, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Pins And Needles (MP3 Download)
I thought I would give this a try after reading various reviews describing how many of you had stumbled across it. Having listened to it few times I am hooked and I can fully understand everyone's enthusiasm. I have seen it variously described as 80s meets metal, a blend of the Human League and Marilyn Manson etc. I am still trying to find a way to describe it.
I have had fun playing "spot the influence" and I would say there is an obvious Psychedelic Furs guitar rif in there, and the synthesisers sound very Roxette inspired. There are more which I can't quite work out yet...
More pop than goth I think, but whatever it is, it is brilliantly done

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't just listen. You experience., 7 May 2011
This review is from: Pins & Needles (Audio CD)
I'm pretty sure if you like their music you'll like/love every song on this album, one more than another but they're all amazing songs on an(other) amazing album.

I do feel as if the album (in general) is a bit softer (more open to a wider public) compared to previous songs. At least that's how I felt when listening to the songs for the first times.

I wish more people realized this but music should be more than listening to some sounds, and that's just what The Birthday Massacre does; you experience their songs, they contain a (fantasy) atmosphere. It's hard to describe how amazing this music can be to someone (me), but if it can be as amazing to someone else (you), that person (you) doesn't want to miss out on this.

If you like this kind of music get it, there's simply no other band comparable with The Birthday Massacre, which seems to be rare in these days of (commercial) music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album - Must hear, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Pins And Needles (MP3 Download)
This album was my first paid downlaod ever and for the price and quality of the album it was worth every penny.

I had already seen The Birthday Massacre back in October and heard a couple of songs, but the album is just great and very much worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Pins & Needles (Audio CD)
A quick review, I have had this album on repeat since it's release! BUY IT!!!

I have read a lot of reviews stating that the album is quite commercial etc. & I have to say, I think that TBM have stuck to their signature sound, heavy guitars, haunting keyboards & innocent, angelic vocals! The album is certainly the best produced album they have released to date!

My favorite track has to be "Sleep Walking", it's been a long time since I have got addicted to a song! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning return to form, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: Pins And Needles (MP3 Download)
Fantastic work from The Birthday Massacre, returning to a style more akin to their earlier work on Violet but with the increased experience gained from years of touring.
Much more dynamic and emotional than previously, Pins n Needles really talks to me :)

5 stars!