on 5 November 2010
It is hard to write a review for this book as it is difficult to find something comparable.

If you are on this website looking for a technical brewing textbook then this book probably isn't for you. Charlie Bamforth has, however, managed to create an entertaining yet informative message on the crafting and quality of beer within his superb collection of personal tales, experiences, and industry anecdotes.

Most importantly it reminds us WHY we work in the brewing industry; a senior brewing executive I previously worked under used to remind his team that, above all, the brewing and beer industry should be fun to reflect the product we are producing (..... when consumed in moderation, of course), a message re-enforced by Charlie in this book.

I read this in one sitting on holiday this summer between my usual collection of crime thrillers and celebrity biographies (borrowed from Mrs C, obviously) - I have to say that I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a long time. I would recommend that you use a bookmark so you don't lose track of where you are in the various notes that follow the main body of the book, these in themselves are a worthy read and give a valuable insight into the life of the author.

My advice to students of brewing technology would be to continue working hard at studying your textbooks, technical literature, course notes, publications, and whatever else you think important, put them away in the last few days before your examination (if you don't know it now, it's too late!), and then remind yourself why you are putting yourself through more examination stress (like you swore you never would do again) by reading "Beer is proof that God loves us". I can't guarantee a higher exam score, but can certainly guarantee a better frame of mind!

A great read for brewers over the world, whether involved in homebrewing, craft brewing, regional breweries, or large multinational brewing companies.
on 3 December 2010
This is a fascinating book which I would recommend to anyone who is interested in brewing and beer. It tells the story of beer and brewing from the personal and idiosyncratic perspective of the author. Make no mistake he knows his subject matter very well but it is not a textbook on the process or product although an outline is given by way of an appendix. So what is it? In part it is a history of the world brewing industry which details the consolidations which have given rise to the producers of mega-brands as well as the current renaissance in the craft sector. The virtues of each market segment are described in detail. In addition you will find a well-argued, and to be fair unbiased, description of the scientific evidence regarding alcohol consumption and health. However, this all sounds very dry, the book has another totally different theme which runs through all the chapters as well as the extensive end-notes. This is part biographical reminiscence and anecdote and part the thoughts of one of the world's few Bhuddist-inspired brewing scientists, soccer goal keeper and cricket afficionado. How does this relate to beer and brewing? Well, it all boils down to a big dollop of fierce work ethic lightly scrambled with a good dose of moderation and tolerance. If this sounds far-fetched read the book, it's well-worth it!
on 6 November 2011
Charlie Bamforth writes in a way that gets to the heart of the subject and to the hearts of all brewers who read this book. His common sense approach to beer and brewing beer is a breath of fresh air after all the hype of recent years.
on 31 July 2011
This was an interesting oddity.
The author is a pretty interesting character and this just about stayed on the right side of ego driven self indulgence.
This was far more of an autobiography than I expected.

However the information on the brewing industry was very interesting. It was good to read a different perspective actually in praise of some of the huge brewing conglomerates for a change. Apparently the consistency of their products is quite hard to achieve.
Also many of the fancy imported lagers that are very expensive might well get damaged in their transport and storage.

This was well written and quite witty in places and I did feel that I had learned quite a lot after reading it.

It is a bit pricey though
on 20 June 2012
The book started out interesting. The Uk brewing industry in the 70's. I didn't realise that Thatcher forced the "Guest Beer". After that I found the anecdotes unamusing and his views on prohibition and religion uninspiring. If I'd paid £2.99 I'd have judged the read as worthwhile.
on 21 May 2013
Good old Charlie , Doesn,t he bring back fond memories of my childhood? The travel on my parents Austin 7 coming down to the Trent by the cemetary with the river on the left and that smell that gorgeous smell over the Trent bridge and the smell geting louder Then turning left over the bridge ,and if you,re lucky being held up by those delightful little brewery trains while they crossed the road from one part
of the brewery to another.
Later at my Grandperents the bread with MARMITE on them
oh joy oh bliss Then the walk over the rec to see the Garatt come by ( more bliss)
Thank you Charlie, and I do heartily reccomend this book to anyone who has had a beer ,or not ,
Good health to you all, and God bless ALL
on 19 May 2013
Very disappointing not at all what I expected thought it was a brewing book although there were some interesting facts and figures.