5.0 out of 5 stars A TREAT TO USE
We bought this a week ago and it was delivered very promptly. We plumped for this model as we wanted to be able to manually froth milk as well as making espresso from beans. Which? magazine rates this as one of their Best Buy machines, and having read up, we took the plunge.

Published 22 months ago by N H S MITCHELL

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor espresso
Against better advice to avoid a bean to cup, the excellent reviews this machine receives persuaded me to try it out. I put about 4kg of high quality beans through this machine over a 6 week period and finally came to the conclusion that whilst it is a well designed machine, it is not capable of producing espresso anything better than mediocre. With a little modification...
Published 7 months ago by superdudeo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A TREAT TO USE, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: Delonghi ECAM22.110.SB Fully Automatic Bean to Cup Coffee Machine, 220 Watt (Kitchen & Home)

It's very easy to set up and get running. Read the instruction manual, whatever you do, as it needs just a little preparation. There's a water hardness test that you do - very simple - before installing the softener cartridge that comes in the box. Then you add beans, fill the water tank and get acquainted with the easy-to-use buttons. After 3 or 4 espresso shots I found the right strength for me. Changing the coarseness of grind or strength is a doddle.

The last trick was to hone our milk frothing technique. Quite straightforward really: just get a jug that is at least 3 times bigger than the amount of milk you have in it, press the steam button and, when it's warmed up, turn the knob anticlockwise. The trick I quickly discovered was to fully immerse the spout of the steam nozzle into the milk. Then you just gently move the jug up and down until you have the right amount of frothed milk - perhaps 15-20 seconds for one or two macchiatos - and, hey presto, you're done.

Each time you turn the machine on and off it performs a self-clean. A few whirrs and clicks later, it's ready. The drip tray at the front easily slides out with the waste coffee grinds container sat in it.

So what does the coffee taste like? Well, we've started with Lavazza Qualita Rossa and the taste is nicely balanced - a nice crema and flavour, with just a touch of bitterness at the end. The results we've had so far are very close to professionally-made coffee, and the straight espresso really is top-notch. This machine also gives you the option of using ground coffee as well, so your choices are very wide.

Absolutely impressed with our first use of this machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice machine, some possible improvements, 3 May 2014
Positive points:

* Fairly compact size, not too wide but fairly deep. The ESAM range is wider, while the ECAM range is compacter, but still as deep and tall.
* Easy to clean: the drip tray can be pulled forward easily, the infuser unit easily removed etc.
* Easy to fill water: tank is pulled forward and does not have to be fully removed to be filled. Reasonable tank size given the machine size (although the switch on and switch off cleaning cycle do use quite a lot water), and transparent so level can be seen on the side of the machine
* Does not seem to generate much heat, so can be safely stored under cabinet units (Delonghi advises on 15cm clearance). Some top clearance will be required to fill in the coffee beans
* Fast operation: when switched on, the cleaning cycle is quick, and the first cup of coffee is fast. No long waiting times for water to heat up
* Simple to use: just a few buttons for cup sizes and a strength button, determining how much coffee is used
* Clear lights: the various warning lights display clear pictures/icons of possible issues (e.g. used coffee tray full, low water tank etc).
* Programmable sizes: it's possible to reprogramme the size of the various drinks/associated buttons and keep the settings stored
* Build quality seems quite good. Even if made of plastic, seems to be well made and robust
* Can handle tall cups or small espresso cups
* Transparent bean cover: easy to see without opening if there are enough beans

Negative points:
* Espressos seem a bit weak/too much water: despite selecting a fine grind, and a maximum strength from the front dial, still a bit too much water, but could be down to the coffee beans or lack of pressure. Still tastes good
* Bottom metal tray is a nice classy touch but will scratch badly after 3 uses, and I am not sure the replacement part can be found easily. Pulling the water tank forward to fill in with water will also scratch the tray. Delonghi should have used a better type of metal, or maybe a plastic tray would have been better to keep the machine looking good for longer
* Plastic cover on the bean tank: not tight enough, so the coffee beans won't stay fresh very long once in the machine.
* Ground to cup? The point is that coffee should be ground just before being used. Yet, Delonghi's manual state that changing the grinder settings will take several cups to be noticeable, so does that mean some already ground coffee stays in the machine?
* Top cup warming tray is very "passive", so only using the heat generated by the boiler unit inside, and therefore not very warm. Leaving the cups on the machine during the start cleaning cycle will fill in cups with hot water and warm them much better, and it also means the top of the machine does not become too hot, and can be stored under kitchen cabinets
* Milk frother: wand is too short for a 600m jug, and it is too much trouble to use steam to make milk foam, with average results. I use a separate automatic Dualit milk frother machine that gives consistent results and much thicker foam. I think the steam milk frother can make hot milk with a bit of bubbles, but not thick foam
* ECO mode: not clear what that does, and how it affects the machine. The manual does not really say. It seems to reduce the amount of steam generated and the ability to dispense hot water
* Water filter: way too expensive, but hopefully optional (machine can be used without). I will fill in the machine with filtered Brita water instead, which will achieve the same result and prevent limescale. It will also have the benefit of not having limescale in the transparent water tank, while the Delonghi filter won't achieve that.
* Lack of proper display: a proper text display, showing the status of what the machine does, temperature etc would be a nice addition, and would cost little to Delonghi. Some of the setting changes (such as automatic switch off time) involve some obscure sequences of pressing buttons, impossible to remember
* Grinding is quite noisy, but only lasts for maybe 5 seconds per cup. The rest of the operations are much quieter and in line with espresso machines.

Most ESAM and ECAM Delonghi machines seem to have the same inner parts (infuser, boiler, grinder etc), so the choice of a specific machine is down to its size (compact or not), style and functionality/buttons. A higher price machine in the ESAM or ECAM range won't mean better coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far So impressed, 6 Nov 2012
I had previously been reluctant to splash out hundreds of pounds (or more) on a domestic machine just to make myself a cup of coffee when I had a perfectly serviceable kettle and a £20 filter machine to hand, when in time honoured fashion I could not resist a bargain and picked up one of these at a bulk sale at a local retailer. I had also until then been rather sceptical at what the quality of the end product was likely to be from machines of this ilk at the lower (albeit by no means cheap) end of the scale.

I was pleasantly surprised and to date have been very impressed both by components, build quality and in the standard of coffee produced and also by the maleability and range of blends,sizes and strengths of cups of coffee that can be produced with a modicum of effort.It is impossible not to produce a cup of coffee to suit anyone's particular taste once you have got used to how the machine works which is a Godsend with guests and one of the main advantages of these over a filter machine. I was so impressed in fact that when a friend of mine came briefly to stay and took a liking to it I ordered one for delivery through amazon for him as a gift in return for some work he was doing for me. He has been equally satisfied with his unit and impressed since. It is elegant and a nice blend of simplicity with electronic convenience but without unnecessary electronic gimmickery and the added expense that that entails.

Having been reluctant to spend even a few hundred pounds intially on such a product, I subsequently found myself happily paying for two as these are competitively priced by reference to similar products. I then decided to buy a third to take down to my holiday home to keep my wife happy but was only able at short notice to get hold of the more basic "Magnifica" model rather than this the "Magnifica S".

I have only two slightly negative comments which even then are not critisisms. First , the frothing device is a joke although in my experience they are on all these machines and take a disproportionate amount of effort to use effectively and to keep clean afterwards.(I just warm some milk up in the microwave instead). Secondly, although it is more than a simple upgrade and is in fact a newer and entirely different model to the standard "Magnifica" ESAM 4200 model with greater electronics, the standard unit makes equally as good coffee as this model at almost £100 less for the unit. It also appears to share the same two most important parts of the mechanism namely the pump and the grinder so is equally well made. This model though is admittedly smaller so takes up less space and is more attractively designed and generally more elegant than the standard model in the range. If things of such nature are of importance to you then this more sophisticated model is worth the extra expense as comparatively this machine is good value in its own right. If cost is a greater concern than aesthetics then you will not be disappointed or be trading down in terms of quality of end product should you choose to go for the cheaper unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars COFFEE MAKER, 9 Nov 2013
After years of persuading my husband that we would benefit from the coffee maker, I have now converted him. Great taste, easy to clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I expected, 14 Oct 2013
The De Longhi machine is everything I expected. It seems well made, works exceptionally, and produces first class coffee with little fuss.
Represents extremely good value at the price I paid from Amazon.
I purchased this machine on the recommendation of a close friend who has owned a similar De Longhi machine and have not been disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars coffee maker, 23 Sep 2013
C. Perry - See all my reviews
I got this machine because it is smaller than my previous coffee maker. Not only is it good it is quieter. I did see on one review that the temperature was not hot enough. The coffee temperature is fine by me.
The default settings are pretty much right. Mostly I have a double espresso. Sometimes a long coffee. The steam pipe is used by my wife and she likes the milky coffee the machine produces.
So all in all the de longhi goes down well.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it is supposed to do (read the review for more details), 18 Jan 2013
Update after about 3 months of usage

Warming the cups and the whole system is REALLY important to achieve a very good, almost perfect, coffee.
My technique is:
1)Turn the machine on: it will automatically take some hot water out to clean the circuits and warm them up
2)Fill the cup completely with hot water
3)Empty the cup and re fill it with hot water again: at this point cup is really hot
4)Press again the button to activate the "cleaning" which does the same of step 1
5)Empty the water from the cup and make your own espresso
6)Cup is very hot as well the coffee and coffee is really good (assuming you have some good beans)

Note 1: Is INCREDIBLY important to tune the grinding level. It should take 25 seconds for 25cl of coffee when doing 2 espressos at a time (half if doing only one since it uses two holes). Grinding level should be adjusted every day since it changes with the humidity of the air (My set up is usually around 2,5).
Note 2: when doing two cups it's true that the quantity is not completely symmetric between the two holes but result is still acceptable
Note 3: I'm currently using Lavazza beans and they are really good (no bitterness at all). Probably coffee roasted in UK, even if very good quality, is better for filtered coffee than for espresso. I'm going to try the Kimbo coffee which is also supposed to be very good (not tried yet). In any case I prefer Lavazza more than Illy even if Illy is supposed to be better.

---------------------------------------------------
Original review:

I'm Italian and I love espresso (what a surprise).

I have been using it for only few weeks and I'm relatively happy.

The fact that I'm not 100% satisfied is for mainly two reasons (in order of importance for me):
1)The Coffee is not very hot; you have four different temperature levels (it doesn't say the expected temperature of the water) and I can't even understand who could use this machine at a level lower than the maximum. If I just make the coffee as soon as the machine is ready, coffee temperature is not really hot which is disappointing. To make it hotter you have to "play" a bit with the machine like using the hot water function, the steamer and so on. This also includes to put some hot water in the coffee cup first to warm it a bit (don't even think that the metal plate on top does something, it's not even warm). After all this the coffee is reasonably hot even if I would have liked 3/4 degrees hotter but it's simply impossible. All this means that first you can not do a quick coffee but have to spend some time to manually heat all the circuits a bit more. And second you end wasting quite some water.
2)I don't think it's really possible to use it to make two coffees at a time because the distribution between the two sides is not even so you will end up having one cup which has less coffee than you wanted (ristretto) and one cup with more (lungo)

Taste of the coffee is good, you have the cream, but of course you have to find the beans you like the most.
I'm currently on Illy, coffee is good but I find it a bit too roasted.
I've ordered some Lavazza Cream and Aroma but not tried yet.

I will then try something more particular like beans sold by Monmouth.

Just an extra comment.
My parents recently bought a Nespresso. I think coffee is really good but if I find it expensive in Italy (a bit less than 4 euros for 10 capsules) here in UK price is ridiculous (something like 8 pounds for 10 capsules? Seriously?) and coffee is not very hot either.

At work we recently bought a Dolce Gusto Piccolo. Incredibly cheap and capsules can be found almost in every big supermarket. Well, with my big surprise the coffee is not bad at all! The machine costs around 90 pounds, capsules a bit less than 4 pounds for 16 capsules and coffee is HOT.

Of course I will stay with my DeLonghi at home because I want to choose my own coffee beans and everything but they should really increase the water temperature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful coffee, 22 Jun 2014
Is but a button press away, the absolute choice given of choosing your beans and grind quality. We've gone from a house of tea drinkers to converted coffee aficionados - mostly black. Don't waste money on takeaway coffee when you can have it simply at home and this was £150 cheaper than in the stores!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best by far, 15 Jun 2014
I had this machine for my 40th birthday ,
Well its almost a year now and i can safely say "WELL WORTH EVERY PENNY"
We have had lots of different beans from : KENCO DARK ROAST, ROSSA , All very nice but have now settled for iLLY DARK ROAST beans.
P.S . If you are looking for a great machine then this one will not let you down a MUST BUY.

4.0 out of 5 stars Proper coffee, 27 April 2014
jon (hampshire) - See all my reviews
I have had this machine for about three months. The coffee it produces knocks spots off the Nespresso machine (with capsules) I had before. This is the equivalent of having a Costa or Starbucks in your own kitchen.

It makes rich, fragrant, deep-flavoured cups of coffee from whole beans (I use Lavazza) which really satisfies. The crema is thick and full.

I usually drink my coffee black, but if I want a latte or cappuccino the steam wand works brilliantly and is very easy to clean after it's done.

You can spend three times the price on bean-to-cup machines but in my opinion there's no need.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›