I have a complex set up at home with two extenders and a homeplug system (now Billion). This is due to the fact that the different parts of the house are on different meters, so I can't use the homeplug system everywhere. Prior to the Billion plugs I had a set of more recent, allegedly 500mb, Devolo plugs. These turned out to be unreliable and fairly useless. Having had two Billion routers (7800N and 7800DOX, both excellent, now I have an ASUS-RTAC66U because of it's ac capacity) I was well aware of the quality of Billion products, so I bought a set of these instead. What a difference! Just as easy to set up, but the speed is on average three times what it was with the Devolo, with no lag (at times the speed on the Devolo network would drop to 0.2mb, it drove me crazy). And this is a 2009 product whereas the Devolo came out in 2013!!! The Billion adapters come with the latest firmware, by the way. And the range is excellent, one adapter does a wing of the house whereas I needed two devolo plugs before (and didn't get good service).

To make sure that your mobile devices pick up the signal from the access point smoothly (ie that you don't have two networks showing, which is the default starting position when you set up the homeplug network and in which case you'd have to switch manually or use a special app on your phone like Wifi Manager (excellent app, by the way)), from the 'Status' main page of the adapter (which you reach by typing http://192.168.1.253/ in your browser), click on the link to SSID1 (in blue, on the left), and then in the relevant box change the name to that of your main network (make sure you spell it exactly the same, including capitals). Also make sure that the channel selection is set on 'auto' in both cases (ie the main router and the adapter), apply settings and away you go. Your phone (or mobile device) will transition seamlessly to whichever has the stronger signal, your router or the Billion access point. Bonus, you can still access the adapter through its IP address (some AP disappear once they are on identical settings with the router).

IN SHORT: Typical Billion, no thrills, not particularly pretty, but boy does it work! Get it, you won't regret it.

PS: if you need to set up a network with more than one adapter, beware of IP addresses conflicts as all the adapters will come with the same default IP address (http://192.168.1.253/). What you need to do is set up the first adapter only, and once it's up and running, go to the Status page by entering the address above in your browser and change its IP address by clicking on the 'IP' blue link. Assign a different address (within the range and subnet mask of your router): usually if you just modify the last digit (no higher than 254, it's better to decrease it as usually routers will have 1 or 254 as their default address and you don't want a conflict there either!), so for example set the new address for the first adapter to http://192.168.1.252/. Click 'apply' at the bottom of the screen (the adapter will reboot). Then connect your second adapter by plugging it in and pressing the 'join' button on it and on the main plug. If you have a third adapter, then change the IP address on the second one before you add it (to http://192.168.1.251/ for example), etc.
on 17 November 2010
So having used a Billion wired router for a few years, this was my first time installing a wireless network. I wanted to keep the existing router in my office and simply add a wireless system for the rest of the house - I was assured this would do it.
Wow does it! I was a bit concerned beforehand about setting it up, but it's extremely easy - just plug in and it all works (ah if only everything windows-related was like that). So now I have a very fast wireless network (now secured, as I followed Billion's instructions ;) ) added to my wired network which can be accessed from anywhere in the house on the laptop. Also as its 'N' is noticeably faster than B/G networks which can seem to crawl along.
If you want a quality, fast wireless addition to your broadband - and using the existing power cables in your house which is quite cool in itself - you've just found it!
on 27 November 2014
Billion 2073R2 + 2073N excellent performance HomePlugs - extends home wi-fi radio signal to far away rooms 200Mbps Max (141Mbps actual depends your own house wiring) I didn't need to push sync buttons or use the supplied cd
1. connect Ethernet cable (1m length provided in kit) from Router to 2073R2
2. plug 2073R2 into a wall socket near your Router and turn on
3. plug 2073N into a wall socket in the room with poor wi-fi signal and turn on, the default wi-fi signal is open and not the same as your Router's Wi-Fi, i.e. your phone will see a different open wi-fi network and so will your neighbours!
4 Configure 2073N to match your own Router wireless and security settings, In your Browser type in 192.168.1.253 username= admin password= admin
5. In Basic Wireless Settings: SSID1 = enter your Router SSID name exact spelling (use App Wi-Fi Manager to read your home Wi-Fi SSID (name); Channel (Frequency) = select same number as your Router (Wi-Fi Manager will read your Router channel)
6. In Wireless Security/Encryption Settings: SSID choice = your Router SSID name exact spelling; Security Mode & Encryption Type & WEP Key = same as your Router
7. Click Apply button to make 2073N Wi-Fi wlan same as your Router, the open AP will disappear. your phone will 'hunt' and seamlessly switch over to the 2072N, check Wi-Fi Manager to confirm wlan and full signal strength 54Mbps
on 25 March 2013
Billion P106N Wireless-N HomePlug AV 200 Ethernet Starter Kit works brilliantly when I finally got it installed. But, the installation was not straight forward... The enclosed disc with the utilities did not run on my W8 64 bit machine or my W7 32 bit laptop, but an email to Billion UK gave me a link to compatible version for W7. Again this did not work as planned but the installation did show doth devices were connected ok to the network.

However I still couldn't get it to work.... The problem was soon solved by a call to Billion UK who fixed the issues I had straight away and it then worked flawlessly. The problem I had was my Virgin Media SuperHub had an IP of 192.168.0.1 so was not on the same subnet mask as my router. We went into network settings and changed this, the PC could now see the device and we could change the settings to be the same as my SuperHub meaning that the same SSID and password is used so your iphone etc will pick up the strongest signal and not hunt for the base station all the time.

Since doing that it has worked like a dream... I even run the base unit from an extension plug (not a wall plug) wired to the router and that works fine....

Works much more reliably than a wifi repeater which I tried already.
on 7 October 2010
I opened the box and plugged the non-wireless plug in to the wall socket near my router. I then connected the supplied network cable - that was about 15 minutes ago.

I then plugged the wireless plug in to the wall socket at the other end of the house (near the other computer - an iMac in the study - I wanted to connect to) and connected another network cable (supplied one was too short at this end - only 1.2m - something to bear in mind) ... I turned on my computer, pushed the sync buttons, and it worked! I have to admit, that I am amazed!! In my spare time since I plugged in the sockets, I have also changed the name of the wireless network and added a password to secure it, and then unplugged the cable at this end so that it runs on wireless, as well as added the new network to the list of networks on my iPhone ... way too simple!! Didn't even need the supplied setup CD.

I am writing this review on the iMac, connected via wireless to the 2073N, which is telling me it is getting about 140Mbps (for both transfer and receive rates)

So - so far so good!
on 24 March 2015
Not such an easy/seamless installation if you already have another Billion LAN-based device on your network.
The software on the CD, with its configuration program, seemed to be of little or no use.
The best advice is in the Amazon reviews. But they didn't cover this issue.
I have a Billion BiPAC 7800 router and, significantly (as it transpired), I also already had on my network a Billion BiPAC 3100SN LAN-based Wireless-N Wall Plug Access Point, bought a while back. (I have stuck with Billion BiPAC products for compatibility).
After connecting the P106N twin-set (i.e. 2073N and 2073 R2), I typed in the IP address 192.168.1.253 to my browser as advised, but (as I eventually worked out) it accessed the existing 3100SN instead of the new 2073N.
The reason, it turns out, is that this fixed IP address is the Billion default for many similar devices.
I got instructions from Billion support online and tried again a day later.
In essence, you have to disconnect the conflicting device temporarily from your LAN network, then connect the 2073N by ethernet cable direct to your computer and change its fixed IP address to another number in the same range, which doesn't conflict with anything else.
To achieve this,
- I disconnected the existing single LAN cable from my computer (so it could not access any other Billion device);
- I connected a separate LAN cable from the 2073N to the computer (and plugged it into the mains);
- I typed in 192.168.1.253 on the browser; and this time it succeeded in accessing the 2073N;
- I changed the fixed IP address from 192.168.1.253 to 192.168.1.252 (my router is at 192.168.1.254);
- the 2073N went through a reboot cycle and eventually I could access it again, via the new assigned IP address 192.168.1.252;
- I then changed all the necessary settings on the 2073N to match the router settings (as per advice in the Amazon reviews).
I then disconnected the 2073N from the ethernet cable, plugged it into an electrical socket elsewhere , and pressed the sync buttons on it and the 2073 R2. (I also reconnected the 3100SN etc).

The P106N/2073 would have worked then, except that (it transpired) there was some oddity about the electrical socket I chose for the 2073N; another message to Billion Support and that was fixed by moving the 2073N to a different electrical socket.

Got there in the end.
It is working well now.
on 15 February 2011
I thought it was time to write a quick review of the P106N setup from Billion. We recently had moved house to a single floor property and were having issues with thick old walls and wireless range from our BT homehub 2. First thing was to get the Billion 7800N to replace the hub but even that wouldnt give enough range/signal strength for our desktops the other end of the house. A quick call and few emails later to Billion UK and it seemed that the P106N would do the job. Convinced to go for it, they arrived and I quickly tested them on close plug sockets in the house (who knows what old wiring is like). The items are sturdy and well built, the plugs can be attached onto the main body of the device in either orientation, so you can have them pointing up or down depending on your wall plug access. Initially i couldnt simply get them to sync by pressing the appropriate buttons, so decided to boot a laptop up to the wired device and use the Billion utility from the CD. Remember to unsync the devices by pressing the sync button on each for more than 10 seconds, then run the software. Ran smoothly under Windows 7 and the main device reported the wireless device was also found on the power lines. Success. Getting 160mbps over the powerlines, in a nice and secure setup. After removing the laptop connection, and moving the wireless plug to where we needed it, sync was still present and all working. A note to remember is that the default IP of the wireless plug is 192.168.1.253 so make sure your broadband router has the network IP setup as 192.168.1.X and not 192.168.0.X or the plugs will be on a different network to your broadband, not good - thankfully all of this is covered in the concise manual. The browser based interface of the N plug is basic but does the job, most things are there, apart from a listing of connected devices (which your main router wont be able to report either as the connections via the powerlines) so maybe thats something they will add in the future. With no traffic the devices enter sleep mode to save energy etc.

All the standard wireless features of security are there, signal is strong and overall a great piece of kit. So much so I recommended it to the parents and they are now running a set too. Would highly recommend to anyone, but make sure you go via the route of setting up with a laptop/ethernet cable to the plugs, it will save a fair bit of time.

Thanks to everyone at Billion Uk that helped out, especially Jules for his extensive advice.
on 23 April 2014
This was my first powerline network I have setup. I've used many routers and repeaters etc but never tried these. After a fair amount of research these seem to crop up as the best to go for. I have to admit my findings to be very good indeed. I'm getting around 13Mbps speed over my network, whether I use the ethernet port or the wifi, which is more than enough. I suppose I could rewire my house but I was going to do that any time soon, I'd wire in ethernet ports throughout the house as well. I'll admit it was fairly simple to setup, although I think I made it more complicated than it was. However I did have some issues setting up the wifi security. It does not come turned on as a standard, so I had to do it manually. I did not find this to be the issue. The only issue was that I had to manually enter the IP info in to my Win 8 computer before I could gain access to the web browser configuration utility. Now this may or may not be accessible via the CD provided however my laptops cd drive doesnt seem to be able to see the CD. All in all though I am very pleased with this purchase and will no doubt be buying more of the wifi adapters if needed. The range I get is better than expected too. We have a ground, first and loft conversion, and although the wifi adapter is on the ground floor, I still get a good signal in the loft. All in all, very pleased.
on 28 January 2011
I really like what this product offers. I have a wireless router which can't cover the whole house and I wanted a power line modem to connect to my TV. This solves both problems. Having got this and using it for about 1 month I think it may have been better to buy the version which allows you to still use the power socket even with the modem connected.

Pro
One unit to extend wired and wireless network
No issues connecting once set-up & doesn't drop connections
Some basic diagnostics, but haven't had to really use them.
No issues/conflicts working with my existing netgear wireless router for rest of the house.

Con
Bigger and boxier than I thought it would be so a bit ugly for a sitting room (but not nasty) and difficult to plug in near the floor. Kit provides a plug to allow plugging in upside down, but why only is only one supplied?
Set-up was a bit Flakey?

Set-up
I had some problems getting it set-up initially.
What could have been 5 mins took me a couple of hours as the intermittent operation seemed strange. It started up and synced easily & my PC connected wirelessly, but I couldn't connect my PC to the router directly and re-configure it to enable security etc. Then wouldn't allow me to connect wirelessly. Then it started to work again. Its been fine ever since. Some of this may have been my PC not the modem.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 February 2011
My existing Sky wireless router left a deadspot in my kitchen where I wished to use a laptop, but as a non technical person I was struggling to find a solution. Homeplug type technology was recommended by an IT contact at work and a google search produced two or three products; but I wasn't certain which would work best - if at all. I sent a enquiry to a couple of suppliers and received a very swift call back from Jules at Billion who talked through the issues and recommended the P106N. It was more expensive than some other options, but the instant repsonse from Jules and friendly advice made it an easy decision to go with the Billion option.

Installation of the product was very simple - working straight from the box - albeit I couldn't install a security passcode. Jules emailed through a software solution, which worked first time, so I now have a full wireless coverage across the entire house. In fact I have now disabled the wirelss setting on the Sky router so that the house operates just on the Billion wireless network.

Its early days but overall, an excellent product with excellent technical support.

See one answered question