5.0 out of 5 stars First Glance...
Published on 9 Feb 2011 by Greg Thomas

1.0 out of 5 stars Vertical line fault in every scan.
I've ordered two of these scanners in past few months and both have had to be returned due to the same fault.

Both units (ordered at different times from different suppliers) were defective and have a series of white vertical lines running throughout every single scan.

Published on 28 July 2012 by N. Raymond

5.0 out of 5 stars First Glance..., 9 Feb 2011
Greg Thomas "Xenus" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)
So I was looking for an A3 scanner on a budget of around £150...not a good idea. So decided to look for a good A4 scanner and just stitch together images afterward. Read a few reviews and I was surprised that this little scanner seemed to be rated up there with the more expensive models. As a freelance illustrator and an illustration student I needed something that would give me good scans on a relatively small budget (using printer/scanner combos have been a nightmare). I mostly do line art so when a review said this £60 scanner produces 5 star quality black and white scans which were better than most £100+ scanners I was a bit skeptical buuuut I got it today and have just tried a few autoscans which have come out pretty much perfect. The pencil line work is strong and crisp, smudges have been removed and the levels have been adjusted to give a nice clean background. The USB power source is a great idea as I travel with my laptop a lot and so allows me to basically scan and upload images to the net wherever I am.

For £60 its a bargin, even for pros.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Scanner, 6 Oct 2010
Johnny D (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)
I bought this scanner to replace my Canon LiDE 60, as the LiDE 210 is compatible with Windows 7. I've only done a few scans with it, but it seems excellent. I particularly like the fact that the Canon LiDE scanners work off a single USB lead, not requiring a mains plug, and that you can stand them on their side, giving them a very small footprint.

The only thing I would point out is that the LiDE 210 did not come with ArcSoft PhotoStudio, despite this being mentioned as included in the Amazon description. (ArcSoft PhotoStudio was included with the previous, non-Windows 7, models.)

Update: I have emailed Amazon and they say they have passed my comment to the relevant department to have the reference to ArcSoft PhotoStudio removed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results, easy to use, 21 Oct 2010
Mike (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)
Very happy with this scanner - great results. I got the 210 to replace my LIDE 50 that is not supported by Wndows 7 - this is. Essential that the software is installed before plugging the scanner in for the first time - this is in the instructions. I only wanted a basic scanner, but this will actually do a lot more. One useful feature is the ability to scan A3 in two A4 scans and it the software will stitch it together for you. The Zed hinge is good for allowing you to scan books. You can mount it vertically to save desk space, but putting the paper/book in and keeping it in the right place when you close the lid can be tricky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Excellent, 23 Jan 2011
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)
I find this an excellent product on my setup which is an Apple Mac G5, OS 10.5.8, Canon iP4600 printer. I use the Scanner Driver and Advanced Mode (rather than the Auto modes) where you can set Colour/Greyscale/B & W; Input Size; Output Resolution (up to 1200 dpi); Output Size (by mm or by dragging a selection frame); Image Adjustment (Document, Newspaper, Magazine, Photo, Auto, None); Unsharp Mask; Descreen; Reduce Dust & Scratches; Fading Correction; Backlight Correction; Gutter Shadow Correction-to clarify the gutter area of books open at both pages. All these look complex but are in fact easy to use although one feature (the ability to create groups of setting with individual names) does not work.

The result of scanning into Photoshop, then printing, for each of the 4 doc. types listed above, was very good. Colours true, blacks black, image sharp, including colour photos printed on ordinary or photo paper.

Using the auto buttons on the scanner is convenient but imposes default settings which might not suit all tasks, but they work (although the Scan to Email launches Mail which I do not use). The ability to scan several originals and to have them assembled into a single multi-page PDF is useful. The on-screen manual is comprehensive and describes all sorts of expert features like setting White Balance, Colour Balance, Saturation, Histogram etc. (if you need those).

A really excellent high quality product, especially at this price. (I first bought the competitor Epson V330 but had to return it because of a strong green cast which Epson Tech. Support could not solve.) Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, 1 Nov 2010
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)
Bought to replace a Lide 50 for Windows 7, things have moved on quite a notch in the last few years.

The nice and simple set-up takes only a few minutes and the software is so much simpler to use, which is a good thing.

I've stopped using the standard 6x4 settings, as they seem to leave a border on two sides, but if you set it for Auto Detect, then there's no problem. It also scans 4 at a time without chopping the bottom one, which my 50 did.

I haven't found a preview button, which would allow the scan area to be cropped, which I always find useful, but it's not the end of the world.

Speed is definitely improved, although this is a level above the old 50 anyway in terms of performance.

I haven't bothered with any manipulation software (I'm not even sure if any was included), as I always use Photo Elements for a half decent job and only want the scanner to scan old prints, which it does perfectly well.

Update 02/02/11 - You can indeed do previews and presumably adjust crops, but I find that the multi-scan is so simple and useful that I don't bother with anything else. The only time I might use the manual preview is when scanning a cropped area at maximum resolution, which would be useful for increasing picture size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Piece Of Kit, 15 Feb 2012
G. P. Rasch - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)
I can't say anything the other reviewers haven't already said so there's no point in going into technical details.
I basically bought this so that I could get a huge backlog of photographs electronically stored, with this you can store and file 4 6 x 4 inch photos in around 20 secs at in many cases they look more vibrant than the originals, it even splits each photo as a separate file automatically. Definitely worth every penny and unless you're a professional must offer all that's need, absolutely well pleased with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vertical line fault in every scan., 28 July 2012
N. Raymond (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)

These white lines render the resulting scans files useless and the device is not fit for purpose.

The clearly visible vertical striping occurs over both colour and plain white paper scans.

Frustrating and disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars struggles with old photos., 26 Aug 2011
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)
LED back-light tech used in this scanner has serious issues with certain types of media.

Scans perfectly photographs that are flat, however if you are scanning photos that have been slightly crumpled, the LED light seams to highlight these folds really badly no matter how I try to flatten them. Much better performance from my 8yr old epson scanner - which uses the traditional fluorescent tube backlight.

Also doesn't handle some really old matt photographs well, (circa 1950's). Must be the texture on the photo paper it doesn't like, resolved by using my old epson again.

In general however, for glossy photos and items that are perfectly flat, the quality and speed are really good.

The bundled software is not my cup of tea, its redeeming feature is that it lets you scan lots of things one after another then dump the lot out to a folder - where I can use picassa or iphoto to manage them.

The scanner driver is pretty good at selecting and separating two or three photos placed on the platen and spitting them out as separate files.

Oddly the OSX version of the software scans once and cleverly crops out the pics, whereas the windows version of the software scans each photo one at a time. This makes the OSX version much faster to use when scanning hundreds of photos.

The anti fade feature is also very good for a small number of the really old photos, however its worth playing with the levels for each photo to get the best result.

Whilst the LiDE technology is neat in that you do not need a separate power supply, its drawbacks are huge when trying to scan old photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scanner, poor instructions, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)
I purchased this scanner a few days ago and have connected it to my Imac running Snow Leopard, The scanner overall works very well and is I believe a quality product. With the imac however I have to keep restarting the computer to get the scanner buttons to work, but in the great scheme of things I guess this is fairly minor, but nevertheless annoying. More annoying is the poor quality of the interactive user instructions. Quick start paper instructions are provided in numerous languages on big sheets of poor quality paper, and the first job is to throw most of them out. If you want to know more detail you have to wade through the CD user guide, which I feel is poorly constructed and no substitute for a decent booklet in the queens english. Although widely advertised as a 4800 dpi scanner, nowhere in the CD can I find any reference to 4800 dpi, and indeed a search on te user guide for 4800 yields a zero result. So on this aspect at least, i remain totally confused. The descisions taken by canon on the instructions are obviously intended to save them money, personally I would sooner pay a £1 more to have a worthwhile document.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner (Personal Computers)
I bought this scanner for scanning watercolour artwork and sketches etc - bearing in mind the extremely limited availability of decent A3 scanners I went for (what I thought would be) a decent A4 one. My last A3 scanner (Brother MFC6490CW)did not pick up colours correctly. I had read the reviews of this one and people raved about how true the scanner is to picking up exact colours. This colour matching is exactly what I wanted (although would have been better as A3) and I assumed that the scanner would pick up the image crisp and clear. Not so - I have now tested the scanner on the same image with different settings about 10 times, and each time there are areas that are fuzzy - not just this, but different areas each time(scanner is not being moved or knocked whatsoever). It seems this scanner is really quite unreliable on quality of scanning - now Ive found I have to weight down the scanner lid, make sure 'unsharp mask' is not ticked, and scan at 600dpi. At first the scan was quite dark, now it is brighter than it should be (again, why did it suddenly change? settings were the same) but a photoshop adjustment helps that. The colours are well matched - but this scanner is clearly designed specifically for photographs and does not take any other paper surface well. Really dissappointed and another piece of kit that takes a lot of fiddling each time to get right, time that I dont have!

Canon CanoScan LiDE 210 Scanner