5.0 out of 5 stars Best Printer I have ever had!
I am not lucky with printers probably because I make my own greeting cards and have trouble with paper feed due to the thickness of the card.
The previous model MP270 had been recommended to me but as it has been discontinued I ordered this one and Amazon delivered it the next day.
The printer arrived with a USB cable and ink cartiridges.
So far it has...
Published on 14 Nov 2011 by Naomi

3.0 out of 5 stars Get some ear plugs
Published on 7 Oct 2011 by lynsey adams

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Printer I have ever had!, 14 Nov 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MP280 All-In-One Colour Photo Printer (Print, Copy and Scan) (Electronics)
The printer arrived with a USB cable and ink cartiridges.
So far it has handled every type of paper that I have tried, and also quite heavy cardstock.
I cannot recommend it highly enough to crafters, or anyone else that needs a very reasonably priced excellent printer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all-in-one printer but expensive inks, 10 Feb 2011
G. K. Griffiths (Wolverhampton, West Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a faulty I455 printer and did not really need an all-in-one but the price was cheaper than a dedicated printer. However, the trade-off is that the printer is almost twice the size of the I455 (and heavier), a significant factor since it is used with two laptops so is hardly in the same place twice. Canon have decided to place the two cable connections (power and USB) on opposite sides of the machine which means extra space is required on each side. However, the machine is much quieter than the I455 and the quality of prints is outstanding.

Buttons are provided on the top to allow direct copying without using a PC and the device is supplied with compehensive software to allow printing and scanning with minimum fuss. Installation was straight-forward and only took a few minutes to complete.

The biggest problem with the printer is the cost of replacement ink cartridges. The replacements are chipped and come complete with new print heads which guarantees good quality printing but at a very heavy cost. Also the Canon original cartridges have very little ink so do not last very long (larger capacity cartridges are available but at a premium), the colour cartidge lasted all of three days before it reported as 'running low' by the software.

I have managed to source alternative remanufactured cartridges which contain more ink but the software for this printer has no way of manually resetting the ink levels so the PC is constantly warning of low ink once the new cartridges are installed. However the printer still works beautifully though I have no way of knowing when it is running low on ink.

Overall, an excellent purchase for the price but beware the replacement ink costs if you do a lot of printing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get some ear plugs, 7 Oct 2011
lynsey adams "Kanga" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My old HP all in one died after eight years of continuous sterling service. It didn't like remanufactured black cartridges, but thankfully was not averse to the cheaper colour ones, and also I could easily get an extra week's worth of printing after the first prompt that ink was running low. I really could use the ink to the very last drop. Photo printing was also very good for an all in one.

While the HP was in it's death throes, I bought a Canon iP4500 photo printer, and began using that for everyday printing as well. Admittedly a bit more expensive than the MP280, it was very quiet, fast and smooth, and separate four colour cartridges plus black meant that I could buy the black, which of course always runs out first, very cheaply. The cartridges lasted well, and also allowed me a good deal of printing after the 'ink low' notification.

I soon missed the convenience of an all in one however, and because the iP4500 was so good, I decided to get the MP280 on the strength of the some of the good reviews and because it was much cheaper from Amazon than say Staples.

The first time I used the printer I nearly jumped out of my skin. It is VERY noisy, and the reviewer who said it does a lot of clattering backwards and forwards before it decides to print is quite right. That wouldn't matter so much if you could position it some distance away, but mine is right by my left ear on the table. I don't understand why it has to be so noisy - surely Canon is capable of making a printer that is quiet as well as cheap? Maybe not.

It is slow, and not at all smooth. Sometimes it pauses halfway through printing a page, as if thinking what to do next. Other times it prints in jerks, and only occasionally will a page go through smoothly. Although the print quality is generally good, I have noticed a very slight distortion on some lines of type, presumably from when it pauses to think.

I am really annoyed with the very short time that the cartridges last. This was totally unexpected from previous experience. Is it true that manufacturers deliberately put in low capacity cartridges with the package you initially buy, or is this actually what I will get if and when I buy a new cartridge? The black only lasted a couple of weeks, and that is no use to me, after five or six weeks from an HP cartridge. I did check the price of the remanufactured cartridges before I bought the printer, but if they only last five minutes (and there is some doubt about them even working), I won't bother.

As for paying the full price for genuine Canon cartridges, as other reviewers have said, you might as well buy the whole printer package instead and throw out the old printer (or barely used in my case), which seems incredibly wasteful in today's supposedly recycling mad society.

Can anybody please recommend a remanufactured cartridge that will work with this printer? I don't have the skills or desire to start refilling them myself.

Another gripe is that when the printer says 'ink running low', it's certainly not kidding. A few pages later, and it's gone almost completely. No messing about with giving you a bit of time to get a new cartridge like my old HP or the excellent iP 4500. Obviously I've been lulled into a false sense of security with better printers.

Three stars for being cheap, not too large, and reasonably stylish for a printer. I suppose you get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars needed a spare multifunction Printer 5/5., 28 Feb 2011
David Glasgow (Co.Tyrone, United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Don't know why some say its slow, when that's simply not the case, if you have it on standard quality which is great it literally fires those pages right back at ya, whether it be colour (or) Black n' White... so 5/5. there ya go!!!...

The Design of the Printer a scanner has a small footprint, compared to its older siblings - and "they are much slower, as a matter of fact, my Canon MP610 is slower than this MP280".

As for the Bargain price with "4-5 free inks", sometimes its cheaper to buy the printer package, as it works out cheaper and sell the new printer on to a friend, or just give it away. (easy)

However, because I'm very happy with the (One 2 One 'Photo scans') I will be holding on to this baby, the INK is much cheaper at around 25-30 from Amazon for original Canon INK. (Great Value)

and it will last for ages, providing your not doing pictures every day, about every 3 months I place new ink in my canon ink-[jets, for colour "printing from the Web", (regular) say 5-6% coverage.

It's very economical if your just doing black n' white only. seriously about 3p per page. (roughly) from top to bottom.

Also this model has a (new and improved multi-scan, head cleaner), which means "if you do NOT use a printer a lot" it cleans those Print Heads like *NEW*" ...Once you switch on the Printer.!! -: so, its very well thought through by Canon. So it also means there are no ink tram lines up your clean new paper. just like the day you took it out of the box.

Please, if you found my review helpful at all, please don't for get to Vote with your Mouse. and click / yes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement printer at affordable price, 24 Oct 2011
T. J. Williams (Suffolk) - See all my reviews
Bought the Cannon PIXMA MP280 All-in One Colour Photo Printer (print, Copy and Scan) to replace my old cannon printer with a scanner feature at a low budget allowance. For a little more than the cost of purchasing colour and black ink this machine exceeded my expectation in terms of quality and capability for printing and scanning. I am delighted with my new cannon and has been used extensively in processing (by copying and printing legal documents) the sale of my recently aquired property.

Only one slight negative point- the printer seemed a little bigger than I was expecting. However, I am very pleased with a quality product at a very competitive price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all in one, 25 Feb 2011
Ms. E. Smith (Surrey) - See all my reviews
I was a bit worried when I purchased this printer. Some of the reviews were good and some were not so good. However, I'm glad I bought it. It took just a few minutes to set up and I was printing within 20 minutes. It's not the fastest printer but certainly not the slowest. The print quality is great and although it's a bit noisy - well it's a printer, you'd expect it to make some noise! It's very neat and the stylish black glossy exterior looks good. As I said at the beginning, I'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Pixma MP280, 9 Oct 2011
Works great just wonderful for a small all rounder photo copying, printing and scanning all run smoothly
great product for the small user

4.0 out of 5 stars Best value for money all in one printer...., 10 Dec 2011
I have been looking for all in one printer for about 3 months since my last one broke down.Then i recieved an email from amazon with this one cannon all in one printer at 26.99 wow!!! what a price i bought it straight away and absolutly no regrets delivered in 3 days very well packaged and up and running in 20 mins.Can't go wrong if like me your out there looking for a new printer.Only one concern you don't get a usb cable with it luckily i had one from last printer,but hey shouldn't be complaining at this price......

4.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 17 April 2011
I purchased this Canon Pixma printer/scanner and although in my mid-seventies, so not brought up in the internet age, I managed to install and set it up with the help of the easy to follow Canon PIXMA MP280 All-In-One Colour Photo Printer (Print, Copy and Scan)instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars printer, 27 Aug 2011
Had this printer a little while now and for the cost perfect for the home.If you dont run your own company and you dont need wireless then cost wise this printer really does the job print,copy and scan.