4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely printer, shame about the ink
Published on 17 April 2011 by Lady J. Buckley

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning
Great printer, no discernible difference to its predecessor however, watch out..
Canon have changed the cartridge, even less ink for your money than previous and no re-fillers have cracked the chip inside yet, so expect to pay through the nose for your consumables.
So beware.
Published on 10 Dec. 2010 by Starlight

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning, 10 Dec. 2010
So beware.

2.0 out of 5 stars not as good as other PIXMAs, 4 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4850 Colour Photo Printer (Electronics)
I am sure that someone who hasn't owned a Pixma previously will be rather pleased with this one. Compared though e.g. to the ip3600 this is a letdown. The inks are horribly expensive and the colours are way too saturated.

I owned an ip3600 before this one and it broke down right before an important deadline. Since I had no time to waste, I rushed to a shop and purchased an ip4850 (the ip3600 was not in stock). The original inks for this one are incredibly expensive, and even the compatible inks are about two times the price of the compatible inks for the ip3600. Furthermore, the colours are too saturated and this is not as good as it sounds. I'm sure it will look good for office graphics for instance, but if you are printing photographs and already have the right degree of saturation, it makes them look too 'heavy'.

I recently bought another ip3600. The reduced printing costs more than justify this decision.

My advice is that sometimes the high-end model is not the best option. I love Pixma printers, but not this one. And this tactic of Canon (constantly reducing the capacity of ink cartridges and increasing their prices with each model)is annoying.

3.0 out of 5 stars An IP4700 look alike, 26 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4850 Colour Photo Printer (Electronics)
I bought a Pixma IP4700 from Amazon in December 2009. It performed quite satisfactorily until near the end of the warranty period then seemed to eject a component out of the paper output tray. On Canon's recommendation I returned to a Canon repair centre but they were unable to make a repair and I accepted a warranty exchange with the IP4850. Although to outward appearance and function the 4850 is identical with the IP4700, Canon have cleverly changed the cartridges and given them a different number so that the cartridges left from the IP4700 will presumably not be usable with the new printer. They do however appear to be identical in size and fitting.
Apart from this annoyance the printer does perform well enough though I am not convinced that quality is much better than my now old HP deskjet 970cxi. My replacement IP4850 came with a complete set of cartridges so I am unable to understand why one reviewer had a printer with a black missing (the large black cartridge is however packed separately from the smaller). The absence of a USB lead was well documented and therefore not a problem especially as I seem to be building up large stocks of various leads from earlier equipment purchases over the years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely printer, shame about the ink, 17 April 2011
Lady J. Buckley "Grannybee" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4850 Colour Photo Printer (Electronics)
The Pixma iP4850 produces photo-prints of really excellent quality and is very keenly priced. To get the best results from it you need to experiment with the settings in the printer menu. I find that I get an almost perfect match with the image on my monitor via Main>color/intensity>matching>ICM>Adobe RGB 1998; but much will depend on your image-processing software. So why not 5 stars, which the price and performance would fully justify? Simply because of Canon's outrageous policy on the price of ink cartridges. The Pixma iP4850 is in dimensions and interface virtually identical with the Pixma iP4600, which used CLI-521 and 520 cartridges. It is hard to see any valid design reason for fitting the iP4850 with new cartridges, the CLI-526 and 525, and making the 521 and 520 unusable with it. But whereas you could if you wished buy the equivalent of the 521 from independent manufacturers for around £2.00 or £2.50 (which indicates the production costs involved) you have to buy Canon originals at around £9.00 apiece if you need the 526. The aim can only be to defeat, at least temporarily, the reverse-engineers and maintain Canon's colossal mark-up. So before you buy be aware that ink cartridges for the iP4850 are very expensive, and that if you have to replace the printer with a new model (my iP4600 lasted only just over two years before breaking down) you may well find that it will not accept any cartridges that you have in reserve. Since a full set of 5 ink cartridges costs over £50.00 - not much less than the cost of the printer - this is an important factor to consider before you decide what to buy. I love Canon's printers - after all, I did buy the iP4850 and am very happy with it - but not their commercial department

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Printer, 15 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4850 Colour Photo Printer (Electronics)
Excellent printer, as you would expect from Canon. However, the Frequently Bought Together option suggests "CANON PGI525 BK CLI526 CMYK 5 INK BUNDLE PACK" and "Canon Original ChromaLife 100+ Grey Ink Tank CLI-526GY", you do not need the ChromaLife 100+ Grey Ink Tank; regardless of what this review says, it is not compatabile with this printer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose as duplex text comes out grey, 2 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4850 Colour Photo Printer (Electronics)
A big disappointment is that duplex printing (automatic and manual) of black text is done with the grey ink cartridge CLI-526 BK. I bought this printer for the duplex facility and nowhere in the specification is it made clear that duplex printing is done in grey. I mentioned this to Canon and they admitted that this was the case. Their reason was that the proper black (pigment) ink might smudge in duplex printing if it doesn't have enough time to dry, but I never found this to be the case with my previous hp printer when I did manually-fed duplex printing. I asked Canon to give me a software patch on the driver to deal with this problem, but they were singularly unhelpful.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor greyscale printing, 2 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4850 Colour Photo Printer (Electronics)
I bought this printer to, amongst other things, print large greyscale documents (mainly B+W pictures). I was attracted by the fact that it had two black cartridges and most of the reviews banged on about the quality of the greyscale prints. However, the printer will only print them using cyan and magenta giving hideous 'purplescale' instead of greyscale. I even converted the PDF's I was printing to greyscale (NOT process black) and still got 'purplescale' prints. My cyan and magenta ink is running out, the black is untouched and I have lousy quality prints. I should have stuck to Epson...

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon quality, 2 April 2011
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4850 Colour Photo Printer (Electronics)
Am still using earlier model, Pixma IP4500, this has served me well.
Very pleased with performance of the IP4850.
Disadvantages: (1)smaller ink tanks than with the IP4500
(2)cost of ink tanks for the IP4850

2.0 out of 5 stars 35.4% increase in printing costs on ip4300, 12 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4850 Colour Photo Printer (Electronics)
I bought this as a replacement for my ip4300. While the quality is much the same (very good, slow on high-quality prints), the ink cartridges are smaller & cost almost as much. The CLI-8- range of colour inks had 13ml and cost, in the shop I go to, 15.99. The new cartridges hold 9ml and cost 14.99. This means an increase of 35.4% in cost of ink. When I contacted Canon I was told I should have researched the product before buying it. I did research it but I didn't see this mentioned anywhere online.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality for a low price, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Canon PIXMA iP4850 Colour Photo Printer (Electronics)
The print quality is very high and after owning an Epson before this I was happy that the prints matched what I saw on my monitor, I don't have to waste time adjusting brightness and contrast of the picture for the print.

I tried some printing on some old Epson 194gsm paper and found that marks were left from the wheels that pull the paper through the printer (though once in a photo album sleeve they were not visible), but when using Canon's 260gsm paper and Kodak's 280gsm there were no visible marks. Print speed is quite quick, a high quality A4 photo takes around two minutes.

You don't get a USB cable which seems to annoy some people, but I think this is sensible as once you have one why do you need a new one with every printer? Buying what you need seperately is less wasteful, and if you read the box contents (listed here on Amazon) it shouldn't suprise you that there's not one in the box!