5.0 out of 5 stars I don't believe it! Every episode of One Foot In The Grave!
This superb box set contains 12 discs and features every episode of the show including the Christmas Specials and a few documentaries. For the benefit of any potential buyers these are what the 12 discs contain:

Disc 1: Series 1 (6 episodes) plus featurette Britain's Best Sitcom.

Discs 2 and 3: Series 2 (6 episodes) plus 1990 Christmas Special 'Who's...
Published on 8 Dec 2010 by Dee-en

3.0 out of 5 stars One Foot in the grave
The first few episodes seemed dated but I soon got into the characters and found it very funny. It is easy watching when you do not want to view a full film. I normally watch 2 episodes as a light view before I retire to my bed.
Published on 13 Nov 2011 by Terry Thomas

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars In the name of sanity...just buy it!, 5 Aug 2010
Pure genius. David Renwick, that is. What a devilish mind this guy has to come up with the darkly comic and mysterious stuff seen both here and in the fabulous Jonathan Creek.

Victor Meldrew is one of the finest comic creations of all time. Annette Crosbie as Margaret gives one of the best supporting role performances you could wish for. They have tremendous chemistry.

I can watch these episodes time and again and still roar with laughter. For me, the One Foot in the Algarve special is the real star of this box set. The full-length feature film, surprisingly with laughter track added although this does not detract from the experience. From Victor's first scene at Victoria Station to the final humiliation for Peter Cook's seedy photographer character, this is an absolute work of art. It's typical Renwick, with fantastic misunderstandings, an excellent mystery involving Mrs Warboys' pen pal, and some superb set pieces. Amazingly this has only ever been repeated on TV a tiny handful of times since its first airing. It deserves a wider audience!

Even though some of the early stuff is a little dated, it's still marvellous stuff and a billion times better than any British comedy currently on TV.

As for the ending, while obviously it's not to everyone's tastes. But for me it's perfect. The final scene involving Margaret getting into her car, with the viewer unsure what has happened in the house, is just fantastic. I can't praise Renwick highly enough for that.

This is a great price for a slice of British TV comedy history. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever see a comedy series this funny, clever and engaging on TV again in my life time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comedy Classic At A Bargain Price, 25 July 2008
What more can I say... this truly is a classic show that has and certainly will continue to stand the test of time and it is right now a steal at its current price.

I have to agree with two other reviewers here...

the American reviewer who says that how well written and acted "one foot in the grave" is really shows how poorly most American comedies compare. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like some American comedies ... Friends, Seinfeld, Cheers in particular but even these shows don't hold a stick to a show like this (and in my opinion to most successful British-made sitcoms who know when to bow out and don't suffer the conveyor belt syndrome of 24 episodes every year regardless of actual episode and story quality). Yes, one foot in the grave is a breath of fresh air because unlike most sitcoms it manages to be both dark and very funny, it doesn't rely on witty one liners delivered by young and gorgeous actors/ actresses who can't help but show they are delivering funny lines and know it too.

Also, I agree with my fellow twentysomething reviewer below- I too remember catching this show often as a teenager and loving it, even though I was hardly the target audience. I also agree that it's great that the cast are mostly older people than your average t.v show allows nowadays because of the desire to sex everything up and appeal to young people... it's nice to see a show focusing on characters in their later years of life... so often older people are cast in mere token roles now on t.v.

Well, as for this actual set... every episode made is present on this set... a lot of which I had never seen before actually, I was only six when series one first aired! I was a casual viewer of the show, I caught the odd episode on BBC ONE in the mid- late nineties but hadn't followed the show religiously, so this set is an absolute treat... i think all the episodes (including all the Christmas specials) are consistently good... none of the shows struggle for funny moments... there's always some crazy accident, misunderstanding to fuel plenty of laughs... And I for one actually liked the final episode, I know some other reviewers didn't though, I'm glad they killed Victor off in such a dark way... it was fitting for a show that often treaded closely on the line of dark humour... and it stopped the temptation of resurrecting the show for another series or Christmas special every other year until the quality waned and the show would be very tired and unfunny any more.

Finally, I know there are some early reviews stating problems with audio-visual timing, that the mouths don't move on screen at the same time as the words are spoken and heard. I was considering buying this set at Christmas when it was on sale cheaply here on Amazon again but I was put off by these reviews.. a few weeks back, I saw the more recent ones saying they had no such problems and I decided to take the chance and buy the set at last... I'm glad I did.. I too experienced no such problems and I watched the series on two different tv.s and two different dvd players.. one very basic sony model, one sony hard disk dvd recorder.
As for the price, this 12 disk set includes the 6 series (with 6 x 30 minute episodes each) and a total of 6 separate 1 hour Christmas specials (90 special, 91 special, one foot in the Algarve special, 95 special, 96 special, 97 special)... all for just 32 or for me 45 Euro... an absolute steal, I mean I saw this set here in Ireland in a high street branch of hmv for 99 Euro last year, more than double the price!

So it really is a quality classic show and at a bargain price right now. Highly recommended to anyone who has ever watched and enjoyed even one episode of the show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comedy - Great Value!, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: One Foot in the Grave Complete Series 1 - 6 Plus Christmas Specials Box Set [DVD] [1990] (DVD)
There seems to be some confusion as to what's in the box, so to try and help all the 'would-be' purchasers I've listed the contents below:

Series 1 (one disc).

Series 2 and 1990 Christmas Special (two discs).

Series 3 and 1991 Christmas Special (two discs).

Series 4 and "One Foot in the Algarve" Special (two discs).

Series 5 and 1995 Christmas Special (two discs).

Series 6 (two discs).

The 1996 and 1997 Christmas Specials (one disc).

Each disc has a 'special features' section (although I haven't watched them yet!).

Hope this helps...

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as I remembered!, 17 Mar 2011
B. Knott (Leeds England) - See all my reviews
I took this collection away with me on holiday and a couple of episodes per day added hugely to the enjoyment of the break! This series with its combination of deft, ingenious writing and plotting plus the wonderful acting has a right to be considered as one of the best of all time in this genre. Not only the two leads but the supporting actors seem to give of their best in appreciation of the terrific scripts they have been asked to perform. The ingenuity of the plotting has to be so admired, poor Victor often avoids what looks like an obvious banana skin only to fall down a hidden 'trapdoor' of misery soon after. I must just mention the scene in the episode 'I'll retire to Bedlam' in series one where Victor is sat in the optician between two strangers chatting to each other while having eyes full of 'drops'. The dialogue combined with Victors facial expressions are a joy to behold and Victors comment about, 'Must have insides like a map of the Metropolitan Line' in context is just side splitting.

Please don't deny yourself the pleasure of this wonderful series together with the several 'specials' and interviews with writer and stars. I have a feeling we won't see it's like for a very long time!

B Knott

5.0 out of 5 stars 'I DON'T BELIEVE IT ' !!!!!, 19 Nov 2007
NEO "Daren" (orpington kent) - See all my reviews
Victor Meldrew has to be one of the best comedy creations in many years played by Richard ' I don't believe it' Wilson. Victor is very much a victim and took the weight of the injustices of life on his shoulders. His poor wife Margaret played by Annette Crosby is the perfect sane voice to stop Victor going over the top. There is also the Tactless Mrs Worboys who always manages to get into scrapes and wind's up hapless Victor even more. Grumpy Victor get's wound up about anything from the wrong newspaper being delivered to rubbish on his front garden. Finally poor Victor ends up being run over in series 6 but the legacy will remain. Of the set we get all the Xmas specials and some good added extras , suffice to say it's a must buy !.

5.0 out of 5 stars “Send more bees?!!”, 9 Mar 2014
R. Morley (UK) - See all my reviews
Back in 2004, One Foot in the Grave came just 10th in a series that set out to find ‘Britain’s Best Sitcom’. I remember being surprised by this, as what we have here is without doubt one of the cleverest, funniest and downright surreal pieces of programming ever. The only possible explanation for One Foot not being ranked at no. 1 is a style of humour perhaps of a more challenging kind when compared to something like Only Fools.

Victor Meldrew is a man in his 60s, ousted from his job and thrown onto the ‘scrapheap of life’, the shadow of mortality now looming ever more presciently over him. The strange and hilarious situations he finds himself in, struggling to find meaning in his new life of retirement, are a reflection of the absurdity of our own small lives. Anyone of any age can relate to the trials and tribulations of Victor and his wife Margaret, as writer David Renwick explores to the fullest the maxim ‘hell is other people’. Tedious characters like Nick Swainey along with the ‘gibbering old bat’ Mrs Warboys are not dissimilar to the sort of people we all have to put up with every day. Meldrew’s moaning about them is a very human catharsis, and a delight for the audience, as he says the things we all want to say.

One of the most distinctive features of One Foot in the Grave is it’s much talked about ‘dark’ humour. When a dead cat shows up in the freezer as early as episode 3, it is hard to disagree that this may be an edgier affair than your average sitcom. The utterly maddening bit-part characters Ronnie & Mildred are later used to stark shock effect during a particularly morbid scene. This black comedy is made all the more effective by the sharp scripts, but the other masterstroke is the amount of visual humour deployed. From grumpy snowmen to ‘grinning’ television aerials, Renwick makes the most of the televised format, creating a unique and bizarre world – and all this right in the middle of quaint English suburbia. It is a sublime mix of the mundane alongside the absurd, and it gives the programme a depth that is rare in this genre.

I received this set as a gift a couple of years ago, and was laughing for about the next two weeks as I made my way through each series chronologically. One Foot in the Grave is excellent from the very beginning, right through to the final episode with its inevitable conclusion. Other sitcoms are sullied by inconsistent quality or naff specials – but not so here. Every step of Victor Meldrew’s journey to the grave has been mapped to be savoured again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars You Think Of It, Victor Has Suffered It, 11 Jan 2013
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
It's amazing really, how much Victor Medldrew has suffered over the years - from being buried in the garden with only his head showing, to the time when he got lost and ended up at an old people's home where people are being badly treated, Victor's seen it all. In his sixties, Victor seems to be getting more and more frustrated with life and his only way to vent it is by yelling.

His wife, Margaret (Annette Crosbie) has to suffer the daily goings-on of Victor, usually with her moaning "oh for god's sake Victor!" as she slowly but surely thinks that her life is going bad too.

Their neighbours are no strangers to Victor's antics, especially Pipa and Patrick (played amusingly by Angus Deyton) - everything from cockroaches to funny paintings, Victor's life really does get on their nerves.

This is all 6 series of OFITG - and all the Christmas specials, including the final Christmas special which really wrapped up the saga. There are loads of laugh out loud moments in the entire box set, specially when Victor gets to uncover bizarre things, like a yucca tree in his toilet, and the one where he picks up the phone "4291" and grabs Patrick's dog.

This is a pretty good box too, about the size of 4 standard DVD boxes, and comes in ultra slim cases. Each DVD has it's own space, so it's not going to scratch against other disks. Each series has 2 disks each, usually the first one is the series, and the second is given up to the Christmas special. In total there are 6 DVD9s and 8 DVD5 disks in the package. Each series and special is subtitled in English only, for the hard of hearing. Sadly, this has not been subbed in other languages. There is no audio description.

The output quality is pretty good, with a decent enough picture and the sound is well mixed.

All in all, this is a good set, and really does make watching the series again very easy, as it's all there. The only one I really couldn't stand much of was the One Foot In The Algave episode - otherwise it is all good fun, and will keep you laughing for decades to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 18 April 2011
Chris (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
There's not much one can add to the reviews here. This is an exceptional comedy, and doesn't seemed to have aged, despite being over ten years since the last episode was made. Each episode is so exceptionally clever and self contained as quite a detailed story. My only 2 complaints would be - not the complete collection, omits the shorts made for Comic Relief, and the packaging is a bit confusion, for example series 5 and a Christmas special is in a package of 2 DVDs, but what is on which disc is a bit unclear. anyhow at the price this box set is being sold for this is an absolute gem, and in these dark days of cuts there is much to make us say 'I don't believe it'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old age, 12 April 2011
This is a very funny series which manages to be poignant at the same time. Brilliantly acted and a very good buy.

Excellent value for money and will provide hours of entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't belieeeeeeve it! It's over 1200 hours of one of the best British comedys of all time., 5 Sep 2010
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There's nothing funnier than other peoples misfortune, and the writers of this comedy knew that. However, you can't help but feel for poor old Victor.

Every episode of this series is packed with original and outrageous scenarios and ideas, not to mention great performances.

The scripts are tight, the characters brilliant and I can't help but notice that everyday, the more junk mail I get, the more market research phone calls I get, and the more automated phone services I have to deal with, the more and more like Victor I become.

One Foot In The Grave lets us laugh at everything that annoys us in life about the idiots we're forced to deal with on a daily basis, and also, find warmth in the fact that it could always be a lot worse.

The great thing about every episode of these is that, just when you think it can't get any worse for Mr. Meldrew, it does. And in some brilliantly bizarre way that's pushed to its extreme for full comic affect.

This remains one of the few TV series that has me laughing so hard no sound comes out and I find it hard to breath.

Lastly, just before you click 'buy', I'd like to point out that this is the US import of the box set. Sorry, I've only just noticed... I thought, I'd better point it out because had you bought it you'd have been your very own 'I don't believe it!' moment when it arrived, right?!

To sum up - easily one of the best British comedies packed full of memorable scenes and scenarios... if you haven't seen it, well... I don't believe it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›