on 11 April 2001
This album has been out-of-print in the States for more than 5 years. Even when it was still in print, it was a miracle to find it. This is a fantastic album in all respects. Here are some of the reasons:
1) Since the third album flopped in the US, the group got R&B genius Arif Mardin, as well as Lew Hahn to produce this album. 2)Phil Pickett helped write virtually all the songs with the group, the same guy who helped with "It's A Miracle" and "Karma Chameleon". 3)There were more female background vocals, including not only Helen Terry, but Jocelyn Brown and Ruby Turner. 4) Last, but not least, George was going through a tough time with Jon, including being on heroine. As we all know, many times it is in the darkest times of our lives we show brilliance.
I must say this is just as powerful as the first two albums, but in a different tone. "Move Away" was the commercial hit, but there are many other great songs. "Too Bad" is new and fresh, but deep, while "Work On Me Baby" is great to listen "under pressure". "Gusto Blusto" is the ultimate dance track, while "God Thank You Woman" is entertaining is a similar style as "Karma Chameleon". When we hear "Reasons", we think we are directly in the R&B world. It's a great song, and so is "Come Clean", which is deep as well. Yet, the best song on the album, and deepest is "Heaven's Children". It came relate to all of us when we are in a dark state. I suggest you buy this now, because one day I believe it will be unavailable in Britain. Thanks for reading.
on 31 March 2005
The only reason for this great gem of an album to have been dismissed, judged and poorly received by the music industry is that fact that Boy George was going thru some very rough times in his personal life which is a crime in itself cause the album is brilliantly done and produced.
George never sounded better from the opening track Move Away to Sexuality. It is quite obvious Work on be baby, Gusto Blusto, Heaven's children, Too Bad all would have been perfect contenders for singles had the band found themselves under different circumtances.
My only question is why didn't EMI/Virgin include this great album on their remastared edition of the band's recent re-issues? It's a crime to deprive CC's fans but one never knows, maybe it'll happen in the near future? The same can be said for George's solo efforts. I think a CD/DVD retro package is just about due.
Luxury To Heartache is very highly recommended to old and new CC fans all over the world.
on 26 April 2008
This cd is absolutely fantastic, 2 years in the making from the last cd, they focused and worked hard to come up with this masterpiece. The first single Move Away, was a fine return to the Top 10 and into our hearts, the media then were out to get George and boy did they get him!!. After certain times in George's past (1986), the paparrazzi reports etc this cd peaked at No.10, and the second single God Thank You Woman peaked at No.31, which is a damb shame, has this cd should have put Culture Club right back on top form. Other stand out tracks are Work On Me Baby, Heaven's Children (which originally was gonna be titled Innequality), Reasons and Come Clean. This cd is still a good listen, but the memories of George from 1986, purely and poorly outshine the talent that was put into this cd, but still deserves 5 stars for the pure determination and guts of Boy George and Culture Club.
on 7 March 2016
Why is it you can always sense that a group is on it's way out? Sadly this is what's happened to this album from Culture Club. Exit the brilliant Helen Terry,enter the equally brilliant Ruby Turner and Jocelyn Brown (with help from Phil Pickett,Wendell Morrison,David Lasley) but they will never be a substitute for Helen. Don't get me wrong Move Away was a great opening track and single release. The next 5 tracks, I Pray, Work On Me Baby, Gusto Blusto, Heavens' Children and God Thank You Woman are good tracks,catchy and with meaningful words but I always have the feeling in the back of my mind that they're trying to attract a more American audience. The next 4 tracks absolutely ruin it for me especially the dreadful 'country and western' sounding Come Clean. I'm sorry guys but this album really didn't do it for me.
on 27 January 2016
Perfect Culture Club which faulted because of circumstance not quality of music. This CD deserves a re-release with extras. Sounds great now although Sexuality sounds slightly dated.
on 4 February 2015
Culture Clubs last album and tho its not there best its true to their style. Move Away is sheer magic.
on 25 April 2016
Brilliant
on 3 March 2011
this is one of culture clubs best alubs yet did not get air play and deserved to be a number one !!!!
on 22 May 2014
I Love Culture Club. My opinion this one of their best and over looked cd's. Buy it. You'll love it.
on 4 July 2014