5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like a boss
I was skeptical to say the least, I'm quite the audio-enthusiast and was looking for a card that wouldn't break the banks after recently building a new home media/gaming computer.

Published on 12 July 2011 by Jontayinyourfeet

3.0 out of 5 stars Not fully supported on Linux
Considering the price this card is great value and it works well under Windows 7, although I'm not a fan of the naff Winamp style user interface (it pretends it's a stereo, which was an exciting UI concept in 1997). It could also do with support for hotkeys, so you could switch the output from front panel to rear outputs (headphone to speaker) without opening the UI...
Published on 28 Jan. 2013 by Daniel Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like a boss, 12 July 2011
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)

I was shocked frankly. Granted I do have a nice healthy set of headphones and speakers to go with it, and am unsure on the effects of lower-priced alternatives. But, with on-board sound, high volumes had terrible hissing, the bass was flat, the sound became distorted at certain volumes.

>Plug in card >Boot up >install drivers. Turn speakers on at the old sound level, BLEW MY MIND. It was extremely loud, I now have my speaker notch so incredibly low it's insane :|. The bass actually packs a punch, it's not some pathetic fizzly thud, it has oomph. My movies are more enjoyable, my gaming is that bit more enjoyable also.

Headphones, you can certainly notice a difference. Again, silence, no electric hissing or anything. The 3 settings provided, e.g. VoIP, enthusiast, are really great in my opinion. I can turn my bass up without distortion or destroying the rest of my songs detail. The sound is much clearer, and crisper, and the highs are much better than my on-board realtek.

So, in short. This was a great buy for me and I have no regrets, for the price, it does pack a punch and certainly offers benefits over your typical on-board solutions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but tricky!, 31 July 2011
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)
I'm currently only using this soundcard to play the audio through the optical output to my home theatre system when watching movies, and so far its proved 100% perfect, not had sound drop-outs/distortion or anything so rating this 5* as cannot find any floors. HOWEVER, did have a bit of a nightmare getting this to install correctly in Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, once I installed the card and booted up the PC, Windows updates auto-downloaded the driver (great) but didnt instal the Xonar audio software (not so great!) so the card wouldnt work at all. So inserted the CD that comes wth the card and tried to install the software from there and received error "please insert sound card" (?? - it is!). I read a few forums on www with other people with this same issue - however i found in the end all i needed to do was manually download the latest drivers from the Asus Xonar website and manually install them, once this was done it was all fine - just a heads up in case you find this same issue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price/quality sound card!, 18 Jun. 2011
Filipe Freitas (Funchal, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)
I bought this sound card to replace my soundblaster audigy 2. It never worked properly with Win7. I now have full surround sound (5.1) with awesome sound power and quality. Best choice I made! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 8 Oct. 2011
R. King (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)
This is the best £26 I've spent in a while. I've been playing games in stereo for decades and just recently wondered how much better it might be playing things like Battlefield 2 Bad Company with surround sound. I had no idea what I've been missing! Its so much more immersive. So much more depth - all around. And that BASS! The sound of chopper blades or weapons fire have a whole new life of their own. I'm using some basic headphones just now and its so impressive. Cant wait to hear how much better it can be with some high quality headphones. And its great for playing late at night too. Cant believe what a world I've been playing with all hell breaking loose at massive volumes. And its 1am! Outside of the headphones barely a squeak can be heard. Fantastic. Also worth mentioning that I could have bought the card for less elsewhere but buy the time their P&P was added on it was close to Amazons price and I could get it the next day with Amazon Prime! Very Happy am I 8^)

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good £20's worth!, 23 Jan. 2012
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)
Got one of these to upgrade my PC from the onboard sound which was decent, but not spectacular...

Difference in games (BF3, L4D2 etc) on the Creative 5.1 speakers (about £60-£70's worth when new) I have was definately noticeable, everything that bit sharper and punchier in the mid tones, treble is clearer, my bass speaker isn't that good so I cant tell how much difference it made there.

Headphone amp works well, got 2 sets of headphones, 1 reckons its got additional bass drivers, the other is normal crappy Ross.
The sound is much richer, and the whole range is better in general.

I do like my sounds but I wouldn't call myself a full on audiophile... I'm sure audiophiles with £200-£400 speakers will say this is ok but not good enough...
...well they will be buying £50-£100+ cards...

for £20 I think its a very good value upgrade over onboard.

PS I am using the sound card AND onboard... sound card runs 5.1 (or gaming headset when needing silence in the room), the onboard runs a comms set for Ventrilo. no driver issues.. ;-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 8 Sept. 2012
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)
I am using this card connected to my Sony AV receiver (STR KS1100) via an S/PDIF optical cable. So long as it is configured correctly all 6 speakers are used in Dobly Pro Logic mode. I have surround sound working with DVD playback, websites such as YouTube and iPlayer (stereo upmixed to 5.1), and in compatible games, e.g. Half-Life 2 (full surround sound).

Sound quality must be set to 48KHz, anything higher will cause it to drop to stereo mode. This is set in the Windows control panel, and the driver control panel. I don't think S/PDIF provides enough bandwidth for 6 x 96KHz channels.

If you have a surround sound amplifier which has individual phono/jack inputs for the channels, you may find it is best to use that rather than S/PDIF. The drivers come with controls for effects, graphic equaliser, etc.

Overall it works well for a cheap card.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not fully supported on Linux, 28 Jan. 2013
Daniel Carter (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)

The headphone amp works well in Windows and I use it to drive some 80 ohm headphones and they sound great.

The main issue I have with it is the lack of driver support for Linux, something which is not going to get addressed according to what I've read in the Pulseaudio formums and elsewhere. The rear connector works (I'm listening to it now) but the front panel output and the headphone amp do not. So if you're planning on using Linux then go for something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 27 Sept. 2012
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)
I initiated purchase of a PCI sound card for one reason only: Like most onboard sound cards, the one on my ASUS P8Z77V-LX motherboard generates an annoying "POP" on PC boot that is completely out of character with an otherwise very refined system.

The ASUS DG card is inexpensive and supports a front panel connection, so I ordered one.

The first one was faulty (not detected in any PCI slot despite care taken to observe anti-static precautions) and replaced without quibble by Amazon. The second one installed flawlessly, first time, having of course first disabled the onboard soundcard via the BIOS utility.

My pleasant surprise has been the staggering difference in sound quality both compared to the onboard sound card ("wooden") and also a Creative Soundblaster Audigy card (nothing special) that I used until recently in another PC, in the same location, with the same Creative 5.1 amplifier and speakers. Sure, it is not a patch on high end HiFI kit, but music is surprisingly, well, musical - and enjoyable for it. 5.1 imaging from true surround sound source is also more precise than with the other cards.

Very happy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough card, but atrocious warranty terms, 20 Jan. 2014
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)
I had this card for ca 18 months, when it failed. Asus offers a three year warranty on sound cards, but when buying through Amazon, making use of this warranty is practically impossible:

1. Amazon claims it offers only a 1 year warranty and is not interested in the fact that this particular product comes with a 3 year warranty
2. Asus insists on the customer going through the reseller (Amazon) and is not interested in the fact that Amazon ignores the warranty terms.

With the two parties playing ping-poing with the customer (me), my sound card is dead and I need to use the on-board sound...

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound on a budget, software mostly a gimmick., 19 Oct. 2012
This review is from: ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card (Accessory)
For a low budget upgrade to go from on board sound to a dedicated card to plug your speakers/headphones into, this card is great.
Clear difference to my ears between my motherboard audio and this card. Has 5.1, optical, headphone amp, and a front panel jack header (Which Asus seem to leave out on higher end cards such as the D2)

The software (Downloaded the latest version from Asus website, didn't bother with the included CD) is okay, but outside of the EQ is mostly useless in my opinion.
The EQ presets given are okay, but to get the best out of my Microlab 2.1 system I had to spend a few minutes creating a custom setting. This should be a usual process though to get the best out of different setups.

Other than the EQ, the other functions the software provides I don't think I'd ever use.
For example, there are several 'Environment' settings, which as far as I can tell just add different reverb/echo effects that are too harsh to actually be pleasant to use.
They range from the generic and subtle 'Room' and 'Auditorium' to some extreme effects such as 'Sewer Pipe' and 'Blurred' that add up to about 4 or 5 echoes.
I can't think of any situation where these would be remotely pleasant or useful.

Dolby headphone also seems to just add a bit of reverb to your headphones, I suppose the usefulness of this is to each individual's taste, but to me it's another useless gimmick.

In general if you're just looking for a card upgrade, or a card+speaker set up on a budget that gives noticeable improvement over on-board, then this is a great card to get at a bargain price.
Depending on your budget though, Asus have a very varied range of cards at good pricing levels. However, this is a great entry card into dedicated audio.

ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 Audio Card