4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a series
Published on 29 Jun 2011 by Zed

3.0 out of 5 stars Slighty predictable yet enjoyable
Along with most other reviewers I too chose this book because it was free. This is a not untypical tale of "otherworld middle ages" type books. There is nothing here that hasn't been seen before and at times I found the characters to be a little bit... twee I suppose is the closest word I can think of.

Having said this I have to agree that the premise of the...
Published on 25 Oct 2011 by twocities

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great start to a series, 29 Jun 2011
This review is from: Call of the Herald (Godsland Series: Book One) (Kindle Edition)
This is a very typical farm girl inherits great powers and is destined to save or destroy the world. Ive never had a problem with typical fantasy stories especially when they are well told. Call of the Herald is no exception, its a very well told story and beautifuly written. I felt major parts of the story happened too suddenly and were a bit OTT but this book is blatantly the intro to an epic tale. With some great characters and enjoyable pace to the story I am looking forward to the next one as these are the types of books that get better and better. Definately recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first novel, 6 Sep 2011
I confess that I chose this fantasy based on the fact that it was a FREE Kindle ebook. But what a great choice!

This is the tale of Catrin, her protector, and small group of friends at the start of an an epic tale.

I immediately liked it and thought it was very nicely written. It's not a disturbing, frightening or cutting edge tale - but it is hugely enjoyable.

Just let yourself go along with the tale and you won't regret it. The author, Brian Rathbone, is one to watch!

and did I say that Call of the Herald - The Dawning of Power was FREE??!! Even if there is now a small charge it's still a great read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slighty predictable yet enjoyable, 25 Oct 2011

Having said this I have to agree that the premise of the story is sound and the plot quite well written. I would be quite happy to pay a reasonably small price for other books in the series. A decent read but not in my opinion anything much out of the ordinary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very weak, 26 Dec 2012
Struggled to get through it. Errors throughout, implausible storyline badly set out. Uninteresting and unappealing characters. Certainly won't be bothering with anymore in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable action you have to read this it's great, 13 Feb 2012
This is a great book in the Lord of the Rings type, it is slow to start then the action starts non stop page after page. You simply cant stop reading as it pulls you from page to page with none of the page filling antics of other books. So if you think you dont like it after a few pages, then don't give up, keep going then you are hooked till the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warning! a highly addictive trilogy but brilliant, 19 Dec 2011
I loved this book. Normally when reading a trilogy of series of books I try to read another book in between, after reading this book I had to read the 2nd and 3rd straight away!!
For those not used to the fantasy genre this book is a wonderful and gentle introduction.
The book is gripping and the characters likeable. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars easy read, great series, 14 Oct 2011
Mrs (LARKHALL, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I, too chose this as it was free, but what a great way to be introduced to new authors. I found this whole series (so far) easy to read and very engaging and was very happy to purchase later books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A light easy read, 13 Sep 2011
Jordan Paterson "A book a day!" (London UK) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed reading this fast paced fantasy story based on a young girl who inherits great power and the path this takes her and her friends on is one that is easy to follow, interesting to read and made me order the second book in the series as I wanted to know the outcome.

Not a booked I'd tell all my friends to read but one i enjoyed on my daily commute.

4.0 out of 5 stars decent enough, 10 April 2014
I agree with a previous review that this book is slightly predictable but still enjoyable. I wasn't blown away, but I found the story engaging enough. The style of writing is good, although I think the author needs to have a look at ways to impart urgency without spelling it out for the reader.

Still, good tale and I'm off to get the next in series now, which is as good a review as anything!! :) It's still free on Kindle as I write this review - it's certainly worthwhile downloading and reading. I have a feeling now the set up is done, the action might start to become a bit more..well....actiony!! (just showing why I review books and don't write them I suppose!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Call me ...., 8 Mar 2014
I really enjoyed this book with its host of characters and story. It keeps you wanting to read more, enjoy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›