5.0 out of 5 stars Unquestionable brilliance
I have never in my life seen anything like this series. I had thought that the Blue Planet, also by the BBC, was the pinnacle of achievement of wildlife television. The deep sea episode had left me breathless, but that proved nothing compared to Planet Earth. The effort that went into this series is obvious. Only at the end of each show when we spend time with each of the...
Published on 23 Jun 2006 by Rumpole of the Finchley

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty In its current state
Just a quick update about this set. It has been identified that four of the episodes in this set have a video error where the contrast is blown out. See link below for more info.

[...]

BBC's DVD support are denying that there is any issue at the moment so I cannot recommend it at this time. I would anyone who has purchased the set to get in contact...
Published on 8 Oct 2010 by metallicninja

‹ Previous | 15 6 786 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The most stunning documentaries I've ever seen, 5 Dec 2009
Franco Egidi (Italy) - See all my reviews
The series Planet Earth by BBC is probably the best set of documentaries ever shot. It shows natural phenomena within the animal kingdom which have never been seen before on screen thanks to its massive budget and advanced technology.
The series covers all areas of our planet, from seasonal forests to caves, from the poles to the deeps of the oceans, showing all sorts of creatures in their natural habitat. Sharks erupting from the water to smash unfortunate preys with their massive jaws, the wierdest of bacteria dwelling in pools filled with sulphuric acid, polar bears struggling for survival and fungi eating away insects.
One of the series' quality is the fact the it doesn't just focus on the most well known animals such as penguins or pandas, but it shows things that you would never imagine about the strangest creatures.
The commentary is perfect, simple yet precise and likeable.

Surely an item that mustn't be missed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning filming technique, breathtaking images, 10 Oct 2009
Nemes Daniel (Bucharest, Romania) - See all my reviews
Before buying it I have red both positive and negative reviews. Most of the negative ones were about the poor quality of video in some parts of the documentary. Yes, there are some parts with noisy image or not so crystal clear. However, in most of the video the image is so sharp that sometimes you may have the feeling of not watching a TV but rather looking out of a window to the surrounding landscape. There is great depth of image and detail. Overall video quality is very high and yes, this is a must for any plasma owner and yes, it can be considered as a standard for video image quality. But there is so much more than image quality here. You will see things you have never seen or imagined before. The strong point is of course the Cineflex consisting of an HD camera mounted on a 5 axes gyrostabilizing system attached to a helicopter which keeps it perfectly steady. You will see a wild beast in close view and then the camera zooms out until you realize you are kilometers away from it and finally you can see a whole mountain. The aerial filming is worth all the money. But there is more: you can see in slow motion a shark in the air, out of the water while catching a seal or you can see on fast forward a flower opening or a mushroom grow or how the colour of the trees changes with the passing of the seasons. And there are many, many more outstanding things to watch and learn. After viewing this extensive documentary you may get an ideea of how big and complex this world is and how small and overated our civilisation is. You may realize that we, humans, the only species capable of altering the enviroment are however just a particle of dust on the evolution scale. The final conclusion: this is a must have, you won't regret buying it, not for one second.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blue Marble Dream, 9 Oct 2009
Alfonso F. De Orte "NUCLEO" (Curitiba, PR, Brazil) - See all my reviews
Breathless images with a lot of scientific explanations. Nice making off with crew interviews.
It only could have an legend option for translation to others languages. There are legends for impared only.
So I can not show or share with others that do not understand english. My mother language is Portuguese.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome deal, 24 Feb 2009
J. Lee (Canada) - See all my reviews
Cannot get a better deal than this anywhere! I'm from Canada and it still a good deal, If you are in UK with the free shipping, there's no excuse to not get this unless you have it already, if you bought the American version, throw that out and buy this now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet Earth blu ray, 17 Feb 2009
I had already purchased Earth (blu ray) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Planet Earth is the full BBC series, beautifully filmed and narrated by David Attenborough.
I missed the series on TV but knew that the BBC is one of the worlds best in producing this sort of wildlife documentary, so decided to splash-out on the blu-ray DVD set (5 discs).

The documentaries themselves are the usual high quality you would expect from the BBC. Some of the episodes are somewhat over-long, but the diversity of themes means there should be something for everyone who normally enjoys these sort of documentaries.

... but what did it for me was the STUNNING image quality of the blu-ray edition. This dvd will really set a new standard in my opinion in visual/audio quality. With many feature film blu-ray dvd's you are not always looking at something natural, so the stunning quality doesn't necessarily come to life in the same way, but with this set, the picture quality is astounding.

All in all, thoroughly recommended if you normally like these sort of documentaries. The storyline/content might not be groundbreaking (although there is certainly plenty of new content), but the visualisation/image quality will make you realise what a stunningly beautiful planet we live on.

5.0 out of 5 stars brillant, 15 Sep 2008
My brother just bought this for me (I put him up rent free for months when he came back from traveling). One of the best things he has ever got me. There are five DVDs and I've already watched three, I've only had it a week.

When you watch it your just in awe of the scenery, it's beautiful. There is a purposefully made score for it that just adds to the enjoyment. As for people that say they can't hear David Attenborough because of the music, they must be deaf the music always quietens down when he talks. I love the Planet Earth Diaries parts, it's very enjoyable to watch.

I may be wrong but I think this was the first or first major nature progamme to be filmed fully in HD and it's all the better for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly rewatchable masterpiece, 8 Jan 2007
Touring Mars (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Quite possibly the most expansive and impressive series ever brought to our screens, the DVD boxset of 'Planet Earth' is quite simply a must-have for anybody. Here are all 11 stunning episodes, as well as 3 additional documentaries called 'Planet Earth: The Future' which discuss conservation issues in more detail.

Each episode is the best part of one hour, with approx. 50 minutes of stunningly beautiful and at times awe-inspiring footage, and approx. 10 minutes of additional material at the end of each episode charting the making of the series, under the heading 'Planet Earth Diaries'. This is a neat and novel way of incorporating the 'Extra Features' you usually find on other titles. 'The Diaries' play an essential part in giving the viewer an even greater appreciation of just how far the filmmakers have gone to bring us such spectacular footage, as well as giving the filmmakers their due credit. Although the series is narrated by Sir David Attenborough, it is really the large team of dedicated filmmakers who deserve most of the credit for this unique series.

The stunning visuals are perfectly accompanied by a beautiful score composed by George Fenton ('The Blue Planet', 'The Company of Wolves', 'Cry Freedom') which would have made Howard Shore or John Williams proud. Even the DVD box is beautifully presented. Each disc blends seemlessly with the photographic background in the disc holder - and both disc and background show which episodes are on which disc. Even the box looks great - made with a silvery background and even the title of the boxset is embossed in silver text. One tiny drawback is that it is scratchable, as I found out to my cost when my dog stood on the box and scratched it right down the middle of the front cover! But that, seriously, is the only thing wrong with this boxset!

One thing that sets aside a great film or series with a great DVD purchase is rewatch value. Some films/series just can't be watched very often, let alone time and time again... however, Planet Earth comes firmly into the category of 'highly rewatchable'. I can honestly say that there are some parts of every episode that I will never tire of seeing. Some scenes are just so breathtaking or awe-inspiring, you can even just play the DVD without the sound on and use your television like an over-grown and ever-changing picture frame (although you'd be missing out on Fenton's great music and Attenborough's unique and fascinating insight).

Truly wonderful, and worth every minute of the 4 years it took to make, thanks to the BBC for this televisual masterpiece, and a very competent DVD package to do it justice.

4.0 out of 5 stars I own both Blu Ray and standard def sets of Planet Earth but, so far..., 12 Nov 2007
Mr. A. Martin "'T Dogx'" (Halifax, West Yorkshire, England, UK.) - See all my reviews
I now own both the Blu Ray and, the standard definition sets of this Planet Earth series but, so far, I've found the Blu Ray to be poorer in respect of jiddering images when panning and, changes to the narration. I also didn't realize the diaries weren't on either. The picture quality seems higher quality in most situation but, I'm not sure what the difference is with this set being 1080i, instead of the usual 1080p and, whether this has a bearing on the playback. I have a 1080p Toshiba 42" High Def. TV and play DVDs through a Play Station 3.
Apart from the negative aspect of my review, I would say this is the best natural earth programme ever made and, it's worth buying in standard DVD set. I note the price of Blu Ray increased on Amazon this morning, just as the Blu Ray was released! But, to be fair, the standard DVD set was reduced in price considerably. Any comments?

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this 1080p and not 1080i ?, 13 Jan 2008
D. Franck - See all my reviews
As Mr Bradford already said in a previous review I also believe this is 1080p intead of 1080i. And here is why :

When I play the disc and check the info my tv is being feeded, it first says 1920x1080i@60hz and then switches when the documantery actually starts to 1920x1080@24hz.
So I really think it is 1080p and not 1080i as stated on the cover.

I can't believe some people compare it with the 480i dvd version ?? Where are you playing it on ?? I think you better buy a new tv because on my Samsung F86 I get a fantastic image.
Not all shots are razor sharp, but mostly they are and if I use the motion flow option (low) on my Samsung it sometimes looks like looking through a window instead watching television. A friend who's not into HD didn't believe his eyes watching this and was highly impressed by this image.

5.0 out of 5 stars BREATHTAKINGLY SPECTACULAR !!, 22 Jan 2008
Mr Tea-Mole (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
WOW!! The content on these DVDs is sheer, raw brilliance. I'd never come across this set before, and was randomly surfing the net when I saw it on Amazon. The reviews intrigued me; "can any set of DVDs be THIS good?" I asked myself. I finally could resist no longer; I clicked the "buy" button, waited till they were delivered, and eagerly placed the first disc into my DVD player - only to have to invest in a new table soon after because of the force with which my jaw hit it when I witnessed the sheer awe-inspiring beauty of the content. Enough to bring tears to your eyes - the raw power, the naked beauty, the silent, poetic elegance, the mesmerising, gasping wonder of all varieties of different creatures we share the planet with is brought before us in extremely high quality visual imagery.

Empire penguins huddling through the coldest winter (-70C) on the planet, crocodiles devouring thirsty wildebeest, the annual migratory patterns of millions of seabirds, hungry lions hunting an African elephant, wild Bactrian camels eating snow, a mile high mountain of bat poo in a Borneo cave - every inch of which is covered by cockroaches, a terrifying vampire squid 2 miles deep on the bed of the Pacific Ocean - these are just some of the amazing content / creatures you will see on this set. All I can wrap up with is this: don't faff about, just click the "buy" button and watch it - we've not all been paid by the BBC to write reviews like this!

‹ Previous | 15 6 786 | Next ›

Planet Earth - Special Edition [Blu-ray]
Planet Earth - Special Edition [Blu-ray] by David Attenborough (Blu-ray - 2010)
14.75