5.0 out of 5 stars Dick Francis streaks ahead to another win
Published on 9 Sep 2010 by Ann Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to DF standard
I have loved almost all of Dick Francis's books but this collaboration really doesn't do his legacy justice. Too many "explanatory facts" passages inserted unsubtly into the plot which interrupt the flow and underestimate readers' intelligence. Some of the action sequences show the old flair but otherwise disappointing.
Published on 25 Mar 2012 by Anne

5.0 out of 5 stars Dick Francis streaks ahead to another win, 9 Sep 2010
This review is from: Crossfire (Kindle Edition)
What a page turner! I bought this book for my Kindle at 22.00 and started reading it straight away. Only extreme tiredness made me put it down 6 hours later. It is gritter than Dick Frances's other books and shows the positive influence of Felix Frances. The main protagonist is someone you can sympathise with and cheer on in his attempts to keep his mother out of jail for tax evasion. With its mix of murderous thugs dressed in smart suits, kidnappings and other mayhem it is a worthy addition to the Dick Francis stable.
PS is Felix Frances going to write under his own name now - on the evfidence of this book he should.

5.0 out of 5 stars War Story, 6 Oct 2010
Ted Feit (Long Beach, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossfire (Hardcover)
This is the fourth work completed by Dick Francis and his son, and it certainly lives up the standards the late author set in a long and distinguished career until his death last February. As did the more than 40 novels Dick Francis wrote, it takes as its milieu the British horse-racing scene.

Captain Tom Forsyth, who left his mother's home (and horse-training stables) at the age of 17 to join the army, returns after losing his foot to an IED in Afghanistan, only to find that his mother is in some kind of trouble. She is being blackmailed to the tune of 2,000 pounds a week and is also being forced to make sure that her horses lose important races. It falls to Tom to sort out the culprits, solve his mother's business problems, and find his way into the future despite his physical condition.

"Crossfire" is a tale with the trademark Francis touch, carefully constructed, poignantly written and sensitive, especially with regard to observations of the trials and difficulties of being a soldier (demonstrated throughout by references to Tom's past posts as well as the skills he learned as applied to his present endeavors), and it is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good as ever, 19 Nov 2010
This review is from: Crossfire (Hardcover)
From other reviews I was worried that this book might not be up to the Dick Francis standards. But it is - gripping, interesting and authentic. Thoroughly enjoyed. May Dick Francis rest in peace. And may Felix keep on writing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to DF standard, 25 Mar 2012
Anne "anne22998" (Orpington, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossfire (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars I didn't realise what I'd been missing all these years!, 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: Crossfire (Paperback)
I was aware of the Dick Francis novels but had never been even remotely interested in reading one as the whole horse theme just didn't appeal, but when Crossfire was available for a cheap price, and looking for someting a bit different to the books I normally read, I decided to throw caution to the wind and give it a go. I'll be honest and admit I didn't expect to even finish the book. So imagine my surprise when after reading just a few pages, I found myself constatly picking up the book at every opportunity (something I rarely do outside of my daily commute).

Crossfire is a brilliantly paced novel, which is easay to read, and altough the horse theme is strong, even those with zero knowledge of horse racing (myself included) can follow it, in fact I picked up alot of information about horse racing that I actually found myself watching a few races on TV after I'd finished it - now I didn't expect that either!

If you stop and think too deeply about some of the characters, or the series of events, then you will find flaws, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it and intend to pucrchase more from Dick and Felix very soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling listening, 24 Mar 2011
Pepper (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Crossfire (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent example of a book that has been well translated to audiobook format. It makes compelling listening particularly in the car. The only flaw with this CD set is that the chapter (track) labels make it difficult to load on to your iPod as the chapters get disorganised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dick Francis Crossfire., 10 Aug 2011
PeeJay (Devon England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossfire (Paperback)
Crossfire is the latest book from Dick Francis & Felix Francis. Since Dick's death early in 2010, Felix is now the main man to continue the terrific series of books penned by his father for many years. My wife has every book written by Dick and now Felix. She has already read Crossfire twice and has reported that it is another enthralling read. She is hopeful that Felix will stay with the same background theme as his successful father. "If it aint broke don't fix it" as the saying goes. If you haven't experienced reading any of the Dick Francis stories and are looking for a gripping read, then buy any one of his novels or better still collect the whole series. You will not be disappointed. Oh, by the way, I read them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossfire Dick Francis, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: Crossfire (Hardcover)
I have almost the full set of Dick Francis novels and delight in their constant five star tales and this is no exception. Dick andf his son have produced another creditable thriller again with a usual racing/training background. Read it and find out. A pity that Dick is no longer with us but perhaps his son Felix may successfuly take over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bitter sweet experience, 21 Sep 2010
This review is from: Crossfire (Hardcover)
I read the book with mixed feelings - the usual pleasure at another new Dick Francis book and sadness at knowing that it would be the last. In truth, I thought the book was not one of his best, in that the story was rather predicttable, although the central character, with the insights into the feelings of a wounded soldier in the modern world, was convincing enough. For me the book didn't compare with some of the earliuer work, where the story was more complex, with a greater number of players and plots intertwining, but nontheless a good read. RIP Dick Francis - and thanks for the pleasure I and many others got from all those books, and for teaching me a little about the racing world! Felix, I'd hate to have to follow someone this good, but hope that you're up to the challenge and look forward to reading your efforts in the years to come. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner for the Francis stable., 2 Jan 2011
Jill Besterman (Jersey, Channel Islands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crossfire (Audio CD)
Crossfire has echoes of some of the earliest Francis novels and I was glad of it. The hero is likeable and the villains will stop at nothing to achieve their ends, the story goes at a good speed and the ending is satisfactory. It is escapism for the reader but none the worse for that and Felix Francis will be a worthy successor to his father in the thriller field.

Crossfire