Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 9 December 1998
If you enjoy "feasting" on the Word of God, you will never be hungry again! This is absolutely the richest, deepest and fullest translation you will ever read. Reading the Amplified Bible is like reading the KJV, NKJV, NAS, NIV, TLB, RSV, Phillips and a commentary at the same time. Observe: "Blessed (happy, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest] where the scornful [and the mockers] gather, but his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord...(Psalm 1:1). I'll never read another translation!
on 7 September 2011
I have been waiting for a compact version of the Amplified Bible to come out for years. Years of carrying the hardcover version in my bag have now drawn to a close! The leatherbound cover is lovely, the font is just right and for £13.80 you can't go wrong. There are many versions of the Bible but the AMP is the one for me. It's deep, rich and expressive and now God has answered my prayer for a compact version that I can carry around with me everywhere. To God be the glory.
We need the Word of God inside us to build us up, God will only witness to himself so we need to give the Holy Spirit something to work with - the Word, Jesus Christ himself. Find a version of the Bible that appeals to you, pray and ask the Lord to enlighten you and give you understanding and then read. Allow the Holy Spirit to reveal God's truth to you so that you may adhere to it and apply it.
If you're feeling dry, ask God to give you a desire, a passion to read His Word, to meditate on His Word, to love His Word...Jesus said that if you do not have, it is because you havent asked. So ask and keep asking...
Knowing the Word isn't enough to get us into Heaven, having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, knowing Him intimately is what will lead to eternal life....
Do you know Jesus?
on 20 January 2004
Considered by many as one of the most literal translations available, the Amplified Bible adds meaning and understanding for the reader by using contemporary language, and by giving the text its fullest meaning with added words (in brackets and parentheses) for clarification.
Some consider it fragmented in style, but once one gets into the flow of it, it is easier reading and very enlightening.
After many years of reading the KJV, I purchased the Amplified in 1999, and was astounded by how it made already familiar texts come to life. I am presently almost at the end of my second cover-to-cover reading, and love this translation more than ever.
The heart and soul of this translation was the dedication and scholarship of Dr. Frances Siewert (1881-1967), a remarkable woman whose passion for the scriptures and knowledge of languages, along with the commitment of the Lockman Foundation and Zondervan Publishing House, gave us this marvelous translation, first published in one volume in 1965.
Among the many sources used were Rudolph Kittel's Biblia Hebraica, Wescott and Hort's Greek Text, the 23rd Edition of Nestle Greek New Testament, and Greek and Hebrew lexicons.
Each book has an introduction that I find extremely useful; it gives historical perspective, insights into the authorship, and more.
The back of the volume contains a fairly extensive concordance, several maps, and the leatherbound and hardback editions have a print size that is kind to the eyes.
For those like me who are "non-academic", but want to understand and learn from the scriptures as much as we are capable of, I highly recommend reading this translation, at least once in a lifetime.
Psalm 46:1
Amplified: "God is our Refuge and Strength (mighty and impenetrable to temptation), a very present and well-proved help in trouble".
KJV: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble".
on 5 January 1999
I was amazed that no other reviews had been wrtten on this beautifully translated version of the Old and New Testaments. I have used it for years, along with other translations, and find it more accurate in bringing the flavor of the language and interpretive insights to words. For example: The gospel of John 3:16, is well known by most Christians, and this version expands on the words used in a way that makes the verse even more personal. When we think of the word (believe) this translation uses the deeper meanings, such as, trusts in, clings to, relies on. This is true through throughout the interpretaion and encourages us to examine, in depth, our knowledge of God's word. I would urge any student of the bible to consider adding this to their "must have' list. .
on 22 March 1999
This is an excellent Bible for those who want a literal (not paraphrased) translation that is scholarly but also easy to understand. It opens up familiar texts and gives them a bright new color. Psalm 23 is a good example of this. This is the Bible to buy if you want to take a fresh new look at the Word of God but don't want a Bible that reads like a children's book.
on 18 December 2000
Excellent book, excellent present for someone, and also includes a whopping 192 page concordance in the back, awesome!
on 16 August 2004
The Amplified Bible is the best translation available. Bringing you closer to the original meaning of the Hebrew and Greek, the Amplified gives the reader greater clarity than most other translations, and makes reading The Bible far more enjoyable. The helpful footnotes also add to your understanding, and the concordance helps you to locate verses. If you buy only one Bible, make it The Amplified Bible.
on 26 July 1997
The Amplified Bible is the best Bible I have ever read. It is beautifully written with comments by the various contributors. I have found this Bible to be so satisfying. It has brought much peace into my life.

I would recommend this Bible for anyone who reads the Bible on a daily basis, as it is easily understood and is, what I think, the perfect translation of The Word of God.
on 29 September 2006
i know this book is cheap but it really does look it.
the glued spine means that you have to force it open to read the words near the spine. the pages are thick cheap paper which means aching hands keeping it opened.
and it is very heavy and bulky, i can't see me carrying this to church with me. and i don't think it will last very long. the text is not presented in an easy on the eye way either.

however if you are buying it as a study tool or just for a read through then it should do you. but as a regularly used everyday bible i just don't think it would be up to the job.

Additional.......update...

I have just bought a hardback version I got rid of the nasty paperback ages ago. The hardback version is superior to the paperback in many ways. The print is very clear and a good size i'm sure the paper is thinner and whiter and better quality. The hardback cover is solid and pleasant but also opens almost completly flat which is wonderful. There are presentation and family history pages.

It's thinner than the paperback. Good size, good weight, clear text and easy to read for long periods.
I highly reccomend it.
The paperback was very poor and the mass market is too small, however the pocket new testement is clear and opens well and fits in the back pocket of my jeans so get that too lol.
VINE VOICEon 30 March 2010
This is a lovely bible. Difficult perhaps to compare with other bibles if youre reading along in church or bible study class but excellent for bible study at home as there are so many alternative and expansive texts in the brackets to help give you a thorough understanding of what is meant.