5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and practical
I bought this lens to use with my Nikon D3100 DSLR kit. I am relatively new to DSLR photography and wanted a lens that I wouldn't have to keep changing in the field.

I was pleased with the kit lens that came with the D3100 (18-55mm) and this second lens maintains that trend in terms of ease of operation and clarity of results. There is a built in auto-focus...
Published on 4 Jun 2011 by Paul Madge

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good product but careful about Non UK Warranty
This is a very good lens and does what it says. But be careful if it gets delivered with Non-UK Warranty as it will not cover Nikon products in UK. If anything goes wrong with this lens you will have to send it to the country it covers its warranty. In my case it was delivered with USA warranty and Nikon UK rejected to give any support.
Published 16 months ago by Pilot

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Value!!!!, 4 Mar 2012
R. Hart (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens (Camera)
Imagine what this would cost if it were made in Europe? This must represent just about the best possible value in the photographic world. My old pentax 300mm non-zoom lens was twice as long and did not produce better images. Combined with my D3100 this really is fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely lens, sharp, great auto focussing, hard to fault!, 5 Sep 2011
Gary Parker (UK) - See all my reviews
Wow, Nikon lenses this good used to cost so much more than this! It has the usual extremely high Nikon optical quality, the zoom action is lovely and smooth, and the autofocus is fast and accurate.

The only way to beat this is spend far more for a pro lens which has a larger maximum aperture of say 2.8 throughout - at around 4000 a lens! Those autofocus even faster, due to the sensor having more light to work with. But they are really big and heavy.

For general use this lens is very highly recommended. You could also consider the 55-200 if it is a lot cheaper (prices keep varying) but really this is the one to have, the 300mm is 50% more reach for not much more money/weight/size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens, 8 Sep 2012
PeeJay (Devon England) - See all my reviews
I recently bought a Nikon D5100 SLR Camera with the 18-50mm standard kit lens. As an addition and to enhance my photographic capabilities, I bought this 55-300mm lens to give me telephoto capability. This piece of kit certainly is the business and I am so glad I went for the 300mm instead of the 200mm lens. I recently took a picture of an old turbo/prop aircraft which was about six miles away. The lens dragged it in and the picture showed all the details of the plane and stopped the propellers dead. I've taken shots of the half moon and the photos showed the dark side making a complete circle. It was not visible with the naked eye. The amount of light this lens picks up even in a darkened room is quite incredible. Outside in fairly dark conditions the lens picks up enough light to make the photos appear to have been taken before the sun had set. Wildlife pictures are great, the detail in birds wing feathers is incredible. I am new to SLR photography but I know that with my Nikon D5100 and this lens attached, I am in for endless pleasure. Get one, you will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good lense, 30 May 2011
I'm not a photography expert, I bought my nikon 3100 because I wanted good quality pictures. The 18-55 kit lens is really flexible and does the trick in most situations but when you are out and about you really need a zoom. This lens did the trick, it goes from were the kit lens leaves off and let's you really zoom a long way. I like it because I can take close up pictures of my kids even when they don't know or without getting in the way. I also agree it would be the perfect lens for a private detective :) bottom line, flexible lens, very long zoom, good price and not monster big. I ordered next day at 6pm and the doorbell rang at 8:30 next day (and that was a Saturday)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good product but careful about Non UK Warranty, 5 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed this Lens, 12 Aug 2013
First used at the Recent Anniversary Games in the Olympic Stadium i got close up pics of Mo Farah, Usain Bolt And Jess Ennis that i thought would always be out of my range. This lens is A1 as i am using it on a D3200 Nikon Mustard!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Overall i'm disappointed, 5 July 2013
I wanted to wait a while before posting a review of this because I wanted it give it a chance as other people have given quite positive reviews (which is why I bought it).

I've taken the lens out in various light conditions and in countryside + city environments. Overall I have to say i'm disappointed, it's simply not as sharp as I would expect at any focal length. The kit lens that came with my D3100 is miles better. And I really have given this lens a decent chance. Useful for experimenting maybe but based on my experience I'd have to advise you to spend some extra money for a better lens.

Perhaps also worth mentioning that the item I received was a grey import, the documentation is in Chinese. Not necessarily a problem as Nikon warranties are world-wide, but not helped by the fact this lens isn't up to the standard I expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Lens, 20 Mar 2012
Delivery & packing was good.The lens was not used and due to the nature of the problem did not think it appropriate to downgrade it's rating.
The lens was supplied with a Warranty applicable to the USA only. I discussed this with Amazon Customer Services via their online chat service. It was confirmed that the product was subject to Amazon's one year guarantee but having regard to the product,this was not acceptable.
A very prompt and efficient returns service was put into operation and credit was received within 5 days of collection.
Contacting sellers before purchase is not easy (or maybe I have missed someting!) Amazon should have a straight forward arrangement similar to that provided by EBay.
I have now obtained the lens, supplied with a European warranty, from another Amazon seller at a slightly lower price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply excellent, 6 Mar 2012
Mr. J. M. Warren (London UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a decent zoom to complement the standard lens that came with my D80. After reading lots of reviews I chose this one and don't regret it at all. The zoom range is incredible and and the clarity is perfect.

Some reviews complained about the speed of the auto focus. It is quite slow in darker conditions but outside it is absolutely fine.

The Vibration reduction is perfect. It ensures your far away subjects are perfectly clear.

I can't recommend this lens enough - it is very well built and will allow you to get perfect zoomed images everytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lense at a great price !, 24 Feb 2012
This is a real Nikon lense at a really competitive price. Haven't had much of a chance to put it through it's paces but so far I'm very pleased with the results. It's very light and I'm using it with my Nikon D3100. Top marks....

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›