Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 October 2010
Just listening to it a second time. Its great. I had a good feeling about this album having heard some of the tracks live when I saw Bellowhead in the summer. The album does not disappoint in any way. In particular New York Girls and Cold Blows the Wind are stand-out tracks for me but if you like the previous stuff from them you'll love this. If you have not heard them before buy it anyway.
on 4 October 2010
I was actually nervous before listening to this album. Bellowhead are an amazing live band & I don't feel that the previous two Albums have captured the energy and excitement. Just listening to Hedonism now with a huge smile on my face though - I think they've managed it this time! I was also a bit worried that the band may go stale, sticking to exactly the same format to please the fans. There is plenty new in this album though and I think that with the great reviews it has recieved in the mainstream press, a lot new fans will be born....
on 11 February 2013
Bought this at the same time as Matachin. A complete mixture of music. You need to listen on headphones to fully appreciate the variety of musical instruments on display and the accompanying arrangements. Excellent story telling with music. This is an excellent compilation of tracks from the foot tapping Parson's Farewell, the singalong Yarmouth Town, the musical madness of Little Sally Packet to the more traditional Broomfield Hill. Would recommend this album to any folk fan or any music fan who wants to consider a different type of music.
on 9 October 2010
You can really hear the Jazz influencers from Bellowhead on this album making it feel more main stream; not a bad thing by any way. Hedonism still has the great Spiers & Boden folk sound and will not disappoint die-hard Bellowhead fans. For my money and as Folk - Rock - Jazz lover Hedonism is Bellowheads finest work yet and the sound quality is absolutely superb. Roll On Shepherds Bush 2010... Burdikin
on 30 January 2011
A great fan of Bellowhead, I'm not as impressed by this album as I was by the previous 2½. Sure, there are some excellent tunes - Cross Eyed and Chinless is typical of the humour they show, Little Sally Racket and A-Begging are fine.

I'm not as impressed by this album as I was by the previous ones (all of which I have). For saying that, I'm judging them by the exceptionally high standards they have set themselves; if anyone should wish to buy this for me as a gift, I'd be delighted!

Having said all that, it sounds a really good album - I'm just judging them in the light of their usual excellence.
on 5 May 2011
There's no doubt about it: You have got to see Bellowhead play live. That's when you really get the sense of fun and theatre which accompanies these songs, and this album takes on a whole new dimension after that.

For me, Bellowhead seem to hit the same switch that makes me enjoy the Pirates of The Carribean movies: A theatrical, hammed-up take on folk culture, packed with stories of wenches, thieves and seafaring antics. If there was ever such a genre as punk-folk-jazz, this is it - the truly incredible talent of all those musicians just itching to break away from convention at any given moment. Now and then in almost every track, they do just that - they veer away from the expected into delightful little moments of madness before coming right back to where you will be waiting for them with a smile on your face.

There is some debate as to whether this album is better than their previous one, Matachin. I personally think they both contain a selection of equally excellent tracks, but the best course would be to get both and then combine the very best from both on a playlist, because both albums have just one or two moments which are almost but not quite the same standard as the very best songs among them. And if you take that advice, add a few from Burlesque, too ('Across the Line' and 'London Town' are both wonderful songs in very different ways). If you like your music with it's tongue planted firmly in its cheek, buy this album, and Matachin, too. Oh, and go see them play live.
on 16 December 2013
I bought the cd after seeing Bellowhead for the first time at the Birmingham Symphony Hall. The group are absolutely brilliant on stage and although recorded music is the next best thing, you can't beat the live act. That said, my Hedonism album serves (along with other Bellowhead cds) as a great reminder of that evening in Brum.
on 26 December 2012
I came across this group as a recommendation by Amazon - I had not heard of them previously. As I like many types of music I thought I would try this CD out and I am glad I did. It is folk but with a modern twist, almost rocky, and suits my mood. I am one of those people who likes music without being a musician, I just know what I like and I love this.
on 25 September 2013
I had a quick listen on the web out of interest but suffice to say they are not my thing. My reason for purchase was for a gift and my pal was pleased as punch. All arrived safely. Good old Amazon we love you!
on 11 April 2013
What can I say that has not been said before? well, nothing really, all I can add is that if you have never given these guys a listen then you are missing something special...Proper music from proper musicians.

Outstanding Album!