4.0 out of 5 stars Why the bad reviews?
Ok, even though it's not up to David Attenborough's "First Life" standard, (though there is a great interview with him in the first 2 episodes where his love of fossils clearly shines through...) I really did enjoy the series and found some of the things covered in it fascinating.

I also thought Hermione Cockburn's enthusiasm for fossils and looking...
Published 7 months ago by B. Rees

1.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight
When I buy a series on fossils, I expect there to be serious content. In the set of programs there is a lightweight presenter who clearly knows little about the subject matter and who is endlessly taking us to a bunch amateurs who have bought the old fossil and have it displayed in their house.
Again look at the series Lost Worlds Vanished Lives if you want an...
Published 12 months ago by Old Teacher

1.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fossil Detectives Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
Again look at the series Lost Worlds Vanished Lives if you want an excellent presenter and a well written series. Guess what it is a David Attenborough series.

2.0 out of 5 stars read a book instead, 10 May 2011
This review is from: Fossil Detectives Box Set [DVD] (DVD)
I had high expectations for this DVD, as it comes from the excellent Open University.
However, the information density was woefully low - it seems to be aimed at primary school children - and to add to the agony of trying to get through an episode, the presenter speaks... so... slowly... with many, many, repetitions... and that inane smile the whole time... I recognise something similar from the Brian Cox DVD, which I also dislike for these reasons, with three important differences: although the pace here is also too slow, the information is real; it's high budget; and Brian Cox was a pop star and can just conceivably be forgiven for his irrelevant strutting about in front of the cameras.
For the couple of facts one might just possibly be able to glean in an episode of the Fossil Detectives, the time would be much better spent reading a book on the subject - at one's own pace!

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the bad reviews?, 13 May 2014
B. Rees "Billy_Rees" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fossil Detectives Box Set [DVD] (DVD)

I also thought Hermione Cockburn's enthusiasm for fossils and looking into the past lovely to watch as I could identify with some of the things she found had a "wow" factor, I did too!

All in all I thought this was a really good series and found most of it very entertaining and educational.

Fossil Detectives Box Set [DVD]
Fossil Detectives Box Set [DVD] by Hermione Cockburn (DVD - 2010)