5.0 out of 5 stars A touch of beauty
It's been a long wait, with only "Hindsight" to see us through but Anathema has returned ~ the literal journey of time passing reflected in these new songs of melancholy, beauty and light. Put the album on; lie back, close your eyes and let yourself be transported into moments of blissful dreaming. Album of the year without doubt.
Published on 30 May 2010 by ember

3.0 out of 5 stars Good
Far too much ambience for my taste. The album is in fact good, but not as good as Anathema's previous works
Published on 16 Oct 2010 by Joao Aleluia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A touch of beauty, 30 May 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars HIdden Gems, 29 Jun 2010
N. A. Davies (Wales) - See all my reviews
I managed to miss Anathema - their long gone 'Doom / Death' image had stopped me from checking them out.

However on a car trip to a meeting with my boss, the usual chatter about football, holidays etc was muted as we both listened in silence to his new CD - Anathema. He had been a fan for years and had kept it quiet but wanted to hear it on the trip as he had just recieved it from Amazon. With an open mind I listened, flicking the CD case in my hands as we headed towards London.

The 100 odd miles was not the only journey we took that day, as Anathema took us on an amazing musical journey. Just as 'Tool' disregard the usual verse chorus, verse chorus, solo, chorus in favour of creating soundscapes, with vast sprawling epics that meander (in the best way) across the whole CD, Anathema treat us to an albeit lighter, shorter version of 'Tool's' philosophy, sometimes sounding a bit Marillion, other times a bit Floyd but always skillfully creating emotional, melancholic, euphoric and glittering musings.

From the starter song 'Thin Air' the melodies are tight, focused, sometimes obtuse, but more often than not achingly beautiful if on the first listen hidden. After a few listens, the beauty of each melody shines through - this is music for the head, and like a fine meal is best taken slowly and each morsel fully appreciated.

This is a nailed on classic already, and I have already bought my copy, and will go back through their catalogue to find their other gems.

Friends, this is good, very good...

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the greatest thing I have heard, 1 Jun 2012
Im new to Anathema, I don't mind admitting that from the off. I bought Weather Systems a few weeks ago and thought it was amazing so I heard this was also a good album so I thought Id give it a go. It cost me £12 which these days seems expensive for an album but if I had any idea exactly how good this was Id have happily paid double the price for it. Its simply astounding work.

I dont think Ive ever felt this way about an album before, its actually improved my life in general. I wake up each morning without the usual dragging feeling of having to go to work. I actually look forward to my journey now because it means I get to listen to this. I dont know how many times Ive heard it, I havent kept track but it must be around 18 times in the first few days.

Id love to pick out particular tracks but I cant, they're all amazing in their own way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, crafted, masterful album, 24 Jan 2011
I love music,- all types of music, as long as it is a little special - and for more than 40 years I've been building a collection of thousands of albums. I missed this when it was released, but caught up with it recently and felt it necessary to spend some time writing a review. This is a masterpiece. It's an instant all-time classic album. I cannot recommend it highly enough to those of my (mid-fifties) generation who hunger for melody, energy, atmosphere, 'feel' and a mysterious 'something else' that blends all of those elements to create work that is much more than the sum of its parts. This is wonderful, very special. I wish I'd written and performed it. But it's not just for my generation. There's something about the best music that makes it universal and ageless. This album has all those qualities. It has a flavour of eternity about it.Go and buy it. Listen and feel it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly inspirational and introspective, 13 Jan 2011
Introspection: if one word were to describe Anathema's latest, and much awaited, tour-de-force, it would be introspection.

A musical initiation awaits the listener who is drawn into the mystically crafted musical universe of the Liverpool band; a cathartic remedy to the pangs of the soul and heart; a journey of discovery and rediscovery of the self, at the centre of the limitless universe around us.

Anathema pursue their own musical experience with an album which at times sounds decades away from their early, darker, material but testifies to their own wanderings on the seas of inspiration, where old influences are heard afar as new ones rise on the skyline.

The uncertainties and sense of loss are challenged in the album's first track, Thin Air, with one of two recurring promises, or hopes one can hold on to, being called upon in the album: unselfish love.

Rising into thin air, without the burdens of woes and concerns, also highlights the attraction of the artist for liminal places and times; whether one is rising to the exosphere or contemplating the Summer Night Horizon, which gives the name to the haunting second track on the album, it is always in these uncharted, undefined settings that the consciousness of the listener is challenged, where oceans rise, worlds collide.

Two ballads ensue and they both follow up on that one promise: Dreaming Light's gentle emotional revelation flows in osmotic fashion into the harmonious ballad, Everything, where everything is energy and energy is you and me. The electric thrill of two souls brought in unison by the combination of evocative voices (and Lee Douglas' vocal contribution if fundamental) makes this track worthy of a separate single.

The second promise appears in the fifth track, Angels walk among us, and that is the promise of self-healing and the regeneration of life: only you can heal inside, only you can heal your life.

The interlude, Presence, challenges our fears of mortality with a beautifully read extract (Life is eternal ... the echoed memento) which is accompanied by the slow chanting from the fifth track.

A simple mistake, the seventh track, feels like the completion of a journey where not even time, nor fear of the future, can hinder our natural serenity and our trust in what truly matter. The climactic crescendo in the second half of the song highlights the sheer exhilaration that the album can reach at times, right before fading into peacefulness and imperturbation.

A heavily Porcupine Tree-inspired track, Get off, get out, paves the way for a final track, Universal, which strengthens the conviction of the promises sought by the artist in liminal places (above the clouds we flew to heaven).

Curtains close majestically with the instrumental masterpiece, Hindsight.

In conclusion, We're here because we're here is an extraordinary addition to Anathema's incredibly variegated discography, alternating instants of melodic bliss to philosophical insights as well as a progressive shift from uncertainty and sadness to glimmers of hope and soothing promises. It is a thing of dreams with nostalgia seeping in at all times.

It is most of all, an incredibly inspirational and introspective album; its inner messages are universal but individuals will find emotional solace in songs that mirror the yearnings and fears of any human soul. Close your eyes to the world and channel the music within and without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Into the light!, 19 Dec 2010
S. Roxburgh (England) - See all my reviews
Well, I bought this album when it came out in mid-summer and finally got round to adding a review (in mid-winter, as I listen to shake off the blues!).I'll get straight down to saying this is a beautiful album of music,it is truly Anathema coming into the light at last and the album cover is so befitting the music.I have followed the band from early days and welcome their evolution from epic doom to what we hear today;lush arrangements, beautiful vocals, joyful chiming guitars.

Anathema's move to blue skies and hope comes just as I feel ready for them to sound like this and I thank them for staying together and creating such beautiful music.My favourites? I would pick track 9, 'universal', a soaring epic, though I like the whole album.

Music this good needs to be heard by so many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern prog at its best, 29 Nov 2010
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I've been sitting on this review for a couple of months for no better reason than I've been struggling to think of enough superlatives for it. I had vaguely heard of the band but hadn't knowingly heard anything by them, I had thought they were some sort of shouty death metal band, but oh how wrong I was. I may be castigated by long term fans for calling the music produced here as "prog" but I can think of no other genre that even remotely fits as there are many, many crossovers here. A bit of metal here, acoustic there, ambient flitting in and out and even some folk hints. Common ground can be found with bands such as Radiohead, Porcupine Tree and Amplifier but rarely have they exceeded the melodic yet powerful songs on here. Now for the back catalogue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what you would expect from one of the most emotional bands on Earth, 12 Nov 2010
Dani Host (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
Seeing all the great reviews and the detailed description of the whole album, I won't get too much into discussing the different tracks as such, but rather give my overall impression of the album.

This might be indeed the album of the year. Every song is a world on its own, driving us through a journey of emotions, beautifully inspired by the sonic landscapes of a band who started playing Doom Metal and has found its maturity in the form a melancholic and progressive rock inspired by the likes of Pink Floyd. Anathema are the probably the "new classics" in what they do. They know how to reach people from different music backgrounds and unite them by the power of a music that knows no boundaries. They have evolved, their music has evolved, but their fan base hasn't decreased by their risky move, having been able to retain all the old fans while opening to different styles. We are not talking mainstream pop opening here. This is purely a rock album.

The album is borderline perfect, and there's not much else we could have hoped for. The only reason why I'm giving this album 4 stars is because of the dimmed "first impression" effect and the extremelly high expectations. After so many years, Anathema have been re-releasing some songs in different albums (i.e. "Hindsight"), demos and via online means in order to keep the fans awake and that is certainly something appreciated. No doubt. But yet, it reduces the huge impact of insterting your new cd in your stereo just to find out that you can sing along half of the songs at a first listen, despite the vastly improved arrangements and changes. This didn't happen with "A natural disaster", that came as a new born baby full of surprises. In other words, this would have worked perfectly well if released two years after "A natural disaster". But it is a long time and we, as Anathema's most hardcore fans, need their new releases as the air we breathe.

Again, the album is just perfect and it's already become a classic. Now we just hope we can enjoy another amazing release with brand new material in a not too far future.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of those very near perfect albums..., 21 Oct 2010
Mr. M. Dunn "msyrinx" (north east, england) - See all my reviews
This album for me is almost perfection - its interesting, it has beautiful melodies, recurring catchy riffs, lovely soundscapes, a little metal, a few interesting time signatures and i cant fault the playing. its just a great balanced beautiful work of art.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 Oct 2010
Joao Aleluia - See all my reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

We're Here Because We're Here [VINYL]
We're Here Because We're Here [VINYL] by Anathema (Vinyl - 2012)