4.0 out of 5 stars Long warranty, decent performance and well priced
I bought one of these to upgrade a PS3 12GB, but I've used a few for laptop replacements too with no issues to report so far.

This model is the Travelstar Z5K500 it's a standard 5400rpm drive which has a buffer of 8MB, there are faster 2.5" hard drives out there but this still puts in a respectable performance either used in a console or a laptop...
Published 6 months ago by Mr Baz

3.0 out of 5 stars Hitachi 500gb 500 GB 2.5 Inch 5400 RPM Sata Hard Drive Thin 7MM For...
I cannot give an appraisal of this product, as the one I received was faulted and did not work, so I was forced to return it.
Published 16 months ago by Melegueta

4.0 out of 5 stars Long warranty, decent performance and well priced, 7 Nov. 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hitachi (HGST) 500gb 500 GB 2.5 Inch 5400 RPM Sata Hard Drive Thin 7MM For Laptop/PS3/Mac - 3 Years Warranty (Electronics)

For console users the 7mm size is needed on some devices, some laptops will take slightly taller 2.5" hard drives but this will fit anything out there be it PC or Mac. There are a few other choices too this makes for a convenient storage drive if you have a 2.5" casing to put it in and you can even fit it to a desktop PC (SATA connections are the same) with a suitable 3.5" to 2.5" cage. The drive is quiet and won't disturb you at all with low vibration and very little noise evident.

Performance wise it's roughly in line with similar drives (max sustained read/write is about 100MB/s), though the price is slightly better and 3 years warranty isn't standard from most makers (Western Digital do own Hitachi but they have their own range of drives) If you're looking for faster speeds I can recommend the Hitachi 7K1000 this has a bigger 32MB buffer and a faster spindle speed of 7200rpm making it more suited to desktop use or on a performance machine.

As it is though for a "normal" hard drive replacement it works just fine. If you're upgrading an older laptop or console HDD from years back then this will likely be faster than the drive you replace (densities increase per platter and they get faster all the time because of that) Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a MacBook Pro, 12 Jan. 2014
Mark Edwards (UK) - See all my reviews
My girlfriend's MacBook Pro hard drive failed and Apple geniuses (I checked and apparently that is an acceptable plural even though personally I am more comfortable with genii) wanted almost £150 to replace it.

I went on the Internet as one does these days and found that a replacement was easy. I bought this hard drive as a replacement.

It worked well, is working well and I hope it will. I also doubled her capacity in the process. All in all, this was a life saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for PS3 super slim, 16 April 2014
I chose this to put into my 12GB super slim PS3. It fits perfectly if you have the correct HDD caddy. I had no trouble installing it. It came vacuum sealed with a desiccant so it was definitely new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good price and simple to install, 19 May 2014
Easy to install and works perfectly! And a great price.
My ps3 had no internal memory so I couldn't install more than two or three games.
This internal hard drive solved my problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars As it says on the package...., 2 Oct. 2013
I bought this to replace the faulty drive in my Sony Vaio. I was tempted by a SSD but just over thirty quid for this 500GB compared to over two fifty for the SSD made it a no-brainer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hard drive to update a PS3, 3 May 2014
kerilizmon (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this after discovering the 12GB Play Station 3 really does not have enough data to really do anything! I was concerned about installing myself but it was easy, and now I have a 500GB PS3 for a lot cheaper than actually buying one with that amount of storage, and with minimal effort. Item arrived promptly and well packaged just as described. I give it 4 stars as I have only just installed and so time will tell whether it deserves 5 stars! Great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Friendly, 20 Feb. 2013
I bought this for my sons PS3 slimline 12g(£129). The result was better than expected. after fitting this hard drive to the ps3 caddy (£7.99) which was a no brainer exercise. Insert into the ps3. Replace drive cover and turn on. The PS3 then initialised and set up the drive with no issues or need to reformat. Job done.
The end result is his ps3 is faster than mine (dam). plus it uses the 12g as a flash instant memory which for online gaming is great. He loves it and I am enjoying a peaceful home again with a teenager.
Plus a 500g PS3 with 12g flash for around £180.
Oh and there is no noise from the drive. Result.
I rate this at 5 Stars. I will be buying this drive again soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good upgrade for 12gb slimline PS3, 28 Sept. 2013
Easy install for my son's 12gb PS3 and took about 5 mins. It was cheaper to buy the 12gb and then install the 500gb hard drive than buying the 500gb PS3. Was up and running after 20 mins. My son is very happy with the increased capacity and can now play all his games perfectly. Installed it in March and has been running well since.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 15 April 2014
Purchased this for a friend who used this to upgrade the memory on their PS3. They told me it had worked very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect to upgrade your 12Gb Super Slim PS3 to 500Gb, 5 Nov. 2014
This HDD, purchased specifically for the 12Gb Super Slim PS3 to upgrade to 500GB works perfectly.
Bought and used in conjunction with a "DBPOWER® Hard Disc Drive Mounting Bracket for Super Slim PS3 CECH-400X Series", the drive could could be physically fitted in less than 5 minutes. After that time, automatic data copying from the 12Gb flash drive (already installed as default on the Super slim PS3) onto the replacement drive takes around 20 minutes, and I'm very relieved to say that no data was lost (although I had made a back up onto a USB stick just in case) so my son was very pleased!
Highly recommended, especially for this price (around teh £34 mark)