4.0 out of 5 stars Good short stories
I recently picked this book up in the airport and read it on a holiday to Greece.This compilation covers just about everything from the espionage thriller to the serial killer story,with some great little twists along the way.One or two of the stories we're disappointing,but on the whole a good book to pass the time.
Published on 17 July 2007 by Shaun Scowcroft

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a Curate's Egg of a book!
Published on 7 Oct. 2007 by E. Heckingbottom

4.0 out of 5 stars Good short stories, 17 July 2007
Shaun Scowcroft "scowcroft3" (lightning) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth your money, 4 Sept. 2007
Dr. S. T. Walker (Northern UK) - See all my reviews
In terms of pages per Pound, this anthology is great value. My wife spotted it while shopping for 'holiday books' and from the minute she brought it home I was itching to read it.

The content is reasonably varied so there should be something to suit most thriller-based tastes. Many of the stories are very well thought out but there are a few which serve as very poor adverts for their authors. Still... I now know a few authors whose full-length novels I'd do well to avoid, so there's a silver lining to that cloud.

I'd rate this highly for un-put-down-ability, even though the book's subtitle "Stories to keep you up all night" is pushing it a little.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sampler of the Best Thriller Writers, 10 Nov. 2006
The International Thriller Writers have compiled a virtual whose who anthology of thriller genre writers in one great book called simply enough "Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night." Included in this 568 page volume of literary treasures are some of the following super stars of this genre: John Lescroart, Gayle Lynds, Dennis Lynds, M.J. Rose, Ted Bell. Steve Barry, Denise Hamilton, Greg Hurwitz, Alex Kava, Michael Palmer, Christopher Rice and M. Diane Vogt just to name but a few of the 30 involved in creating this excellent collaboration. The book is edited brilliantly by James Paterson who gives some great introductions to each short story. He sets up the stories like getting the reader information about the continuing characters from other novels that are being reintroduced in a new story. Such is the case for Gayle Lynds in her story "The Hunt For Dmitri" which follows heroine Liz Sansborough (the only child of the CIA assassin "The Carnivore") from her novel "The Coil." The introduction bridges the novel's character to the new story so that one can follow the action with more insight.

The most interesting story which turned out to be a real collaboration effort between two talented writers was a story called "The Portal" by John Lescroart and M.J. Rose. Truly a seamless effort and considering that one lives on the east coast and the other in northern California; it was most beautifully executed. The story has a neat twist to the ending and was one of my favorites..

Reading Dennis Lynds story "Success of a Mission" one could see the greatness of his style and how much he influenced this particular genre over the years. He will certainly be missed. I was glad that one of his stories was included. It just gives the whole volume a little extra class and energy!

This book is a great way for readers to sample the world's best thriller writers and become acquainted with some that they may have over looked before. I discovered several that I now want to read more of their work. This book rates much more than a FIVE STAR rating - it is a collector's classic which will delight and entertain you! I highly recommend this book and give it my personal endorsement.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a Curate's Egg of a book!, 7 Oct. 2007
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This book contains an anthology of short stories from a wide range of Thriller writers - some of whom I had discovered before, and some of whom were totally new to me. It has taken me a long time to work through (by my standards) - for a variety of reasons. One of these is that the stories varied greatly so greatly in style and you never knew what to expect when you moved from story to story! Most of them were intriguing, some were very enjoyable -enough so for me to want to research the outhors here and consider trying one of their full length books - and one or two left me cold, wondering what they had been all about! I found myself making brief notes in the index so that I could remember how I felt about the stories! (and I never normally write in books!)

Patterson's introductions to the stories were interesting - linking the short stories with the authors' other works and introducing us to their key characters; but it would have been nice to have seen contributions from him and some of his co-writers/ghost-writers in the anthology - whatever I may think of his more recent books!

2.0 out of 5 stars Alright but too many different styles, 22 Sept. 2007
Janie U (Kings Cliffe, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Reading any of the stories individually was good, although it felt that reading all of the stories together (and there are a lot of short stories) was too much to take in and I ending up finding it difficult to out down a story after a few pages and pick another one up again, only to put it down again in a few pages.....
There were some really exciting stories and the way that James Patterson introduced each story/author was interesting.
I like thrillers and was looking forward to this book but ended up feeling rather disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth buying, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night (MIRA) (Kindle Edition)
A good selection of authors and a great opportunity to sample unknown (to me) writers. Have identified a couple of book series to get into.

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep you awake..??, 26 Oct. 2012
Thought this was going to be the perfect book of thrilling short stories... and yes give me the creeps to keep me up at night. I was barely entertained let alone kept awake. Gave up after the first few stories and picked it up again recently but to no avail. Very Dissappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars YES, BUT NOT ENOUGH, 30 Nov. 2009
The book is certainly interesting, and some of the stories in it are really thrilling, but you too can find a good number of works below the level attached to the mastery of the author, and Patterson himself do not write but the introduction of each short tale.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good compilation even if not written by the master., 17 July 2008
Being an avid reader of James Patterson books I snapped this up thinking I would get varied stories written by the master himself. I was then disappointed to find he has only edited it.
Having said that there are a number of great short stories in the book and some that bored me rigid.
Compilations like this help discover writers you may not have previously tried before. Which is why I'm giving it a modest 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely kept me up, 31 Aug. 2014
These short stories were very good and definitely kept me up reading them into the night.

I felt that some could have been a little longer though.

Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night (MIRA)