Format: DVDChange

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
I've just finished watching the S3 box set, having studiously avoided all spoilers since last year. There were so many cliffhangers at the end that I started searching round for that missing extra disk. Not much gets resolved and a wait of a year for the next installment has made me distinctly grumpy.

I think I may prefer that the series moves too fast than subject us to the tiresome Tara/Mother soap that made the latter half of Series 1 so tedious, but there was so much happening in S3 that you didn't have time to register one thing before the next hit you. I also think that Sam's development as part nice guy part psychopath is too much - he is one of the moral compasses of the show, the others being Bill and Sookie and all three went haywire this season, which is leading us dangerously near to "so what"

And the Timotei advert fey - in Sookie's words "That is so lame". I've read the books and wondered how they were going to do it, appreciate its difficult but if anyone can make it convincing it would be Alan Ball. Sadly it appears to be impossible to do.

Having said all that, I still really enjoyed it - Alcide Hervaux is a great new character, I loved the werewolves and I adore Pam - who got more screen time this year.

**Update** - I've just watched the final season - Season 7 - it was terrible. If you're considering starting on "True Blood" - its a great ride. But if you're someone who needs a good ending to a 7 year series then think hard before you go there.
on 2 November 2011
True Blood has always been a slow burner, which seems at odds with the continuous sex (mercifully less than season 2) and electrically unpredictable bouts of action. But in terms of plot, the creators like to keep the pace at a leisurely crawl. That's why, I think, so many seemingly incidental conversations and character strands seem to take place. Surely inspired by David Lynch and Twin Peaks with regard surrealistic plots, characters and their interactions. There is a definite black, macabre art that hypnotises the viewer. Almost every character, seemingly rather shallow on the surface, has hidden depths that mostly never fail to fascinate.....mostly.

Like with season 2, the story continues immediately after the previous season. If you watched all episodes back to back you would be hard-pressed to point out the moment one season ends and the next begins. The main story this time out revolves around the chaotic Russell Edgington, vampire king of Mississippi. His desire, ultimately, is to free the vamps from the shackles of the Authority. The Authority that had established equal rights amongst the human race. He feels that vampires are very much the superior to the race of man. Indeed, he feels human beings are nothing but a free meal and playthings open to manipulation. He's brilliantly portrayed by Denis O'Hare, with one stand-out scene in particular when he gatecrashes a newsroom ('Now for the weather.....Tiffany.') and......there's no need for plot spoilers. A man to be feared considering he is hundreds of years older than Godric and commands his own town of werewolves! Yes, the werewolf is introduced to season 3, with one or two other 'supernaturals'. Though when in wolf form there was nothing really as monstrous about them as I'd hoped. Real wolves are cheaper to use than sfx, obviously.

I know all three seasons have been slow to get going. And it's fair enough when you have 12 episodes that need 4-5 to establish other characters and their scenarios. But at times this season really did seem to take its time more than the last. At least that was the perception I had, but I did watch them back to back, 3-4 at a time, so I'm sure it would have felt different to waiting week after week. Anyway.......

There seemed to be much less Jason Stackhouse this time. And I felt his plot arc was much less interesting than the excellent Soldiers of the Sun from the last season. Tara was given a little less, also, and though her arc was very dark in places (as dark as it gets) I wasn't so convinced by its severity. Let's just say there is an almost comedic aspect about the vampire she interacts with which offsets the ordeal. It wasn't as harrowing as something like that should be.

Although Sam had that integral part to play in the second season, he did take a back seat to Sookie, Bill, Erik, Jason and Tara a little. Well he had more to do this time out, as he attempts to track down his family and we see, through a combination of flashback and back story, a darker side to the 'shifter.

It was great to see Lafayette given more focus in this season than the last, also. He is finally given his own romantic interest and this has potential to go places later on.

As always, the overriding aspect of TB, other than the politics, is that love/lust/hate triangle between Bill, Sookie and Erik. This was much darker than last season and Bill didn't come out of this too well, ultimately. Though neither did Erik.

So....the darkest season so far, with fewer laughs than the other seasons. But it's still quality.
VINE VOICEon 27 July 2011
Hmmm, what to say? A bit better, a bit worse than seasons 1 and 2? Yes, perhaps a bit of both.

First of all (and I apologise if I've forgotten) but wasn't Lafayette found dead in a car at the end of one of the seasons? Mysteriously resurrected unless I'm wrong of course.

Sookie is just as she always was - kind and naive, Bill is just, well, almost a waste of space - he's so weak and wet you wonder why Sookie isn't crying with boredom and doesn't just stake him and move on to Eric who's a far better character; we're all dying to see them get together anyway. I didn't like the whole Lafayette/boyfriend story or the Tara/Mother sections - tedious and unnecessary and I, like others, am surprised by Sam and his newly aquired psycotic tendancies; what is happening there? It does seem out of character, as he's always been the level headed, calming presence in the whole chaotic mess that is Bon Temps. I also didn't understand the 'fey' world to begin with, with all that popping in and out of the pond - if it's been a while since you read the books, you might agree - but I suppose it's a little harder to convey all that on screen. Jason has also calmed down and, although idiotic, is slightly less stupid than he was in the first two seasons. However, his romance with the shapeshifter is curiously boring as is his desire to become a policeman. The new character of the The King of Mississippi is, however, very good and he was a welcome addition, as was Alcide and the wolves.

Lots of loose ends, no real development of very much at all to be honest in terms of the storylines but it is still strangely compulsive in a trashy, camp, gratuitous sort of way! Here's waiting for season 4. Sigh.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 September 2011
I love the Sookie books as well as the first two series so was always primed to love this too and am not disappointed. It did, however, take more than a couple of episodes before I got really hooked and was up till the early hours of the morning watching 'just one more episode'.

The problem is that there are so many plotlines going on here that we're somethimes distracted from the heart of the show. Tara's having more emotional trauma, and her irritating mother gets unnecessary screen space; the story of Sam's natural family drags on too far and his sudden change of personality is very disconcerting; the Arlene/Terry story feels overly contrived etc.

On the positive side, however, Eric and Pam get more screen space; and the various vampire plots play out well.

Having read the books first, it's always interesting to see how to TV show expands and contracts stories: in this series I think they've deviated a little too far from the core story and have spread the plot a little too thin.

That said, this is still wry, funny, dramatic and surprising. Book four is one of my favourites in the series so I'm really looking forward to seeing it re-worked for the show.
on 31 January 2011
Exiting, Sexy and Entertaining, deffo worth a watch. Better than the second season which had a couple of dull moments. Season 3 has more blood, boobs and bludgeoning and more Eric and Pam ;-).

However it doesn't quite get 5 stars for me as I feel it lacks the humour and depth of character the book has. I also feel that some of the changes to the story have not really added to the plot, just put in to attract a wider audience by sexing it up a bit, and dumbing it down slightly. Although it is early days. I hope they develop the characters a bit more.

Sookie is generally likeable but sometimes annoying when she pulls that gormless facial expression lol. Eric, Pam, Lorena, Russell and of course Lafayette are great and well played. Though Eric and Pam are even funnier in the books (sorry to keep bringing up the books lol).I just can't help but feel sorry for Bill constantly, but he is so square and I just can't wait for Eric to get his wicked way with Sookie. Every girl loves a bad boy, especially a tall, blonde handsome one.
33 comments17 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2011
True Blood, Series 3 was excellent.
The acting superb and a brilliant continuation of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series of books.
Although the snippets of Claudine were confusing to start with as there is no real introduction to the character so it seemed at first Sookie was imagining the change into the alternate realm of the fae. In the books it was a lot clearer and that lead to confusion on my part until I really thought about what was happening. There wasn't enough of Hoyt and Jessica's story, too much supposition on the thoughts of Bill and at one point a confusing meeting between Jason and his werepanther love intrest.
on 30 July 2011
Everyone who loves True Blood will love this season. But I was a little bit disappointed that there were no more Extras - the ones on Blu-ray have already been shown on the HBO Homepage.
on 30 December 2015
I'm now getting hooked on this programme, and I find that any time I go back and watch a particular episode, I have to watch to the end of the series. Next on the list will be Season 4
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I thought it was a DVD about family trees....still quite liked it though. Will have to watch seasons 1 and 2 as I didn't really have a clue what was going on.
on 16 February 2013
The series gets crazier the longer it is on air, but that is what I like about it. It is so different from other series that are out there!