5.0 out of 5 stars A track Listing and a little bit of advice, 7 April 2012
Glenn Cook (South Cave, near Hull UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
Rather than give a review of this excellent collection I will leave that to other Miles Davis Experts.

However the track listing is essential to have knowledge of because there are, at the time of writing this review, 3 boxed sets of Miles Davis on realease.
this is a link to the others.
Original Album Classics
The latter only has 3 CD albums in it.

A minor point is that although they say 'Original Album' series the sets are often the far better remastered versions often with extra tracks.
Certainly at least one of the sets in this series has 4 out of the five with extra tracks.
This simply makes them wonderful value and will no doubt tempt those who have the originals with out the extra tracks to buy this inexpensive set.

The sets have lovely little card covers which divides opinion on their merits. I love them. The sleeves are contained in a cardboard box that is about the size of the old 2 CD Jewel boxes which makes storage a breeze.

If you buy all three sets you will get 12 CDs for the price of 3....-terrific value?

I suggest you check out the tracks and compare and contrast with the originals and watch out for the experts on Miles Davis' music reviews.

Track listing

7. Blue
8. Electric Red
9. Indigo
10. Violet

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bargain and yes, they do appear to be Re-mastered, 17 Oct 2013
Woofums (Lincoln, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
As a Miles fan, and particularly his later electric funk, this is a selection of his last Warner albums, with the excellent "Star People" as the standout in a mixed bag of albums. Having bought these CDs (except "The Man with the Horn") in their 1980's issue ('83 - '89), and now upgrading my collection with the later Columbia Legacy re-masters (much better sound - to my ears!), I was concerned as to whether this collection contained the original CD masters or newer re-masters, as I know that the Original Album Classics collections from other artists do contain both old and new CD masters. Now, if you know anything about the Miles archive, and the various releases/re-masters/editions you'll know that it's somewhat complex, and I'm no expert on this. However, I was keen to upgrade my old CD's for better sound, but after much research, couldn't find anything about the source for this collection of CD's. However, I decided that as the collection was a Columbia Legacy issue, I'd take the plunge, and I'm glad that I did. The sound is an upgrade from my original CDs, clearer, brighter, better bass, better separation of instruments, and all at a slightly higher level. I don't know the source of the CDs, perhaps the 20 bit japanese re-masters which were issued in Japan, mainly without any additional bonus material, just like these. The tracks on the CDs, comparing new to old (can't comment on "The Man with the Horn") appear to be the same takes and have very similar timings, except for "Star People", where individual track lengths vary by up to 15 secs, longer ("Come get it"), and 19 secs shorter ("It gets better"), and on "Aura", "Intro" has gained 19 secs, and tracks 5 (Red) & 6 (Green), are much the same length, but the track timings now indicate a different break point (9:57 & 4:24 - old CD, and 6:08 & 8:12 - new CD). As I said, I'm no expert, and my main point is that the CDs do have better (re-mastered) sound than the originals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky Miles!, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
After a short sabbatical,Miles returned as a Funk star.This was not,however,the heavy metal funk of On The Corner,this was music to dance to!The 5 albums in this set were jazz funk of a very high caliber.Many of the tracks have been sampled by rappers,e.g.Fat Time.Very political at times,none the less,Miles never had a bad band,and although he had by now become alienated from his original audience,he was extremely hip and listenable.These albums in this box make great late night listening and I would recommend them to anyone who likes fusion or funk.My box was another great purchase from Amazon with the usual excellent service.

Original Album Classics
Original Album Classics by Miles Davis (Audio CD - 2010)
Click for more info