5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars with a Hitch..., 13 April 2011
C. Schmidt (Kitchener, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Humor (Audio CD)
The five stars is for Good Humor itself. I love this record. In fact, "love" isn't a strong enough word. This album is a world unto itself (all Saint Etienne records are). The problem I have is with disc two.

Fantastic selections on disc two. Hit The Brakes is a favorite... The problem is that I already own the original double CD from '98. The second CD is called Fairfax High and it contains about 80% of the tracks on THIS version. And knowing that any CD mastered after '97 needs no real remastering (unless the original was completely botched - which is VERY rare). As a side note I was actually hoping that during the remastering process maybe the band might turn up the bass drum in Milk Bottle Symphony on Tales From Turnpike House... They did not. It still is the weak link on that record, but then, I digress...

Basically, there is not much reason to buy the deluxe of Good Humor if you own the original double. I must confess it is tempting to get it so all of my Saint Etienne would be "uniform" (also so I could have the superior original cover art with the three shades of green. The original double CD was different with everything in one shade - not as nice looking).

But as far as the actual album goes: Seriously. Saint Etienne really shine brightly on this release and if this isn't the soundtrack to your next summer, you might just be deaf!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the perfect Saint Etienne LP?, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Good Humor (Audio CD)
I'm listening to this updated and expanded version of Good Humor on my headphones whilst lying in bed on a cold winters evening. I should by rights be out on this chilly Friday night looking for a good live band in Liverpool or spending time with friends but instead I am happy to be enjoying the sounds of this stunning record.

Like the other deluxe editions from Saint Etienne there is no shortage of quality with this album, or the bonus tracks on disc two. What I really want to know is why firstly, there are not more reviews praising this album and why you have not ordered your own if you have read this far into my review?

As is the case with many of Saint Etienne's records you are best listening to this album on a good set of head phones. You will also need to allow plenty of time as you will be wanting to play this album over and over and over and over and, well, you get the jist of this review surely?

Now go on, get your credit/debit card out, log on and order this deluxe edition without fail!

ARRAY(0xae9402a0)

Good Humor
Good Humor by Saint Etienne (Audio CD - 2010)