5.0 out of 5 stars Up up and away, 27 July 2011
R. Barry - See all my reviews
This dvd is fantastic and well worth the money if you do not already have the other shorts or bonus episodes elsewhere.

This dvd is all about quality over quantity and what you get for your money is worth every penny.

It is one of the best DC (or Marvel) animated dvds I have seen in a long time and I have seen most of them.

The animation is top notch with a manga feel to some of it and the voice casting is also well thought out.

The other shorts are all of a similar standard and in the case of the Spectre and Jonah Hex are pretty damn dark in content.

The bonus features also include various episodes from other DC serious involving the leads of the shorts and again are very entertaining and add extra value.

I cannot recommend this dvd highly enough. 5 out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like a good comic..., 22 Dec 2010
Mr. G. Lee - See all my reviews
Just like a good comic this movie (40+mins?) assumes the viewer is aware of who the characters are and gets on with the action, minimal time spent on "introducing" the characters the action comes up quite quickly and continues until the end and is very well handled, I enjoyed it very much so more like this please. Speaking of more the DVD contains some excellent features in the form of short movies on the Spectre, Green Arrow and Jonah Hex not to mention several older cartoons as reference points which are included (in full) that also feature all of the above characters, this is good value for money and an excellent addition to any collection. Well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHAZAM!!!!, 6 Dec 2010
Superman and Captain marvel slug it out with Black Adam brilliantly voiced by Arnold Valsoo (Evil sorcerer in The Mummy)
Brilliant animation that skips all the dull stuff and goes straight to the point and heat of the battle.
only complaint is that its very very short (25-30 minutes)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
good

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the price :), 6 Jun 2014
I love a lot of the DC animated films, they seem to just keep getting better and better with the animation, the action and okay, sometimes the story isn't always perfect, but I like how they just throw the film at you expecting you to know the characters. That can a little off-putting for people, but considering I like DC and have done my research I'm not so bothered by it.

Now, for some reason, recently a lot of DC animated films are mostly being released in Region 1, which really sucks!
I like to buy Region 2 DVDs whenever possible, because I live in the UK and the only way I can watch Region 1 discs is on my laptop, but I don't always want to switch on my laptop just to watch a film-especially late at night when I just wanna snuggle down under the bed covers.
ANYWAY, a long while back I did find a Region 2 DVD for this short film, adding it to my wish list, I soon forgot all about it and then when I checked it a few months later, it was sold out. I especially did not want a Region 1 DVD that only ran for no more than 30 minutes, not worth it!
So I eventually found this one.

The cover is in Spanish and the price is slightly higher, but don't be fooled, this is a lovely hidden gem. Because it is Region 2 and although the cover is Spanish, you have the option to change the audio to whichever language you desire, mine being English of course ;)

You also get the added bonuses of 3 even shorter 10-15 minute films, the first one is about the Spectre, the second one is about Green Arrow and the third is about Jonah Hex. All of which all greatly animated and VERY entertaining, these continue on naturally after the credits of the Shazam! film so you don't need to go to the menu to play them, unless you want to watch a specific short :)

I almost gave this four stars, because I don't like the fact the cover is in Spanish, neither me or my friends can read what's on there and sure, it's not integral to enjoying the footage, it is still a minor turn-off. When I first ordered this, I quickly sent a message to the supplier double-checking if the language could be changed to English, because I don't want to watch anything with subtitles if it can be helped. Have enough time reading the bloody subtitles on anime that I miss out on the action.
Another reason I was going to give this product 4 stars is because of the price, for this I'm paying roughly £10 more for this version whereas the Region 1 version was going for something like £4 and let's not forget about the delivery charge...it all adds up!
Yes, I am stingy, I like to find something for good value, I do go to different shops when I'm out and look for the best deal, I always ask myself; Do I really need this? Is it worth the price here when I could get the same thing cheaper and of the same quality in such-and-such shop? But that's the world we live in, everything is just too expensive!

I gave this 5 stars in the end, simply because regardless of how much the minor issues bothered me, I ended up with what I wanted, sure it's not perfect, the cover could've been in English so I could read it and the price could've certainly been knocked down a bit, but I not only got the film I wanted in Region 2 (and without having to watch on subtitles) I also got 3 extra short films with it as well! And the box cover and DVD were in perfect condition upon arrival, neatly wrapped up and secure. The bonuses for me, make up for the minor issues :)

I recommend this to anyone who is an avid fan of DC or is just looking for entertaining. Only downside I will say is that there is very little character development in this film, especially where Black Adam is concerned, so you'd definitely need to have read a few comics or done some background research before watching this. Same goes for the 3 little short films, unless you're aware of who they are and what they do, then you're sat there scratching your head, thinking; "Huuuuuh???"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 22 April 2014
I bought this to add to my DC collection, would recommend to others, brilliant watch and a must have for DC fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not magic, 29 Sep 2013
Not a bad DVD and as usual from DC a decent story just felt a bit rushed hence the four stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars SHAZAM!!, 3 Sep 2013
A great film that i wanted to be longer if im honest. This short story was simply GREAT! Could do with a another animation film featuring these two!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shazam Indeed, 27 April 2013
I enjoyed this. I know very little of Shazam but this film is a nice intro to the character.
Would recommend to anyone who doesn't want to read a Shazam comic

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, but a bit short on the main event., 17 Mar 2013
H. C. JACOBS (Gauteng, South Africa) - See all my reviews
The DVD was value for money, but expected a longer main event. You actually get a total of 8 shorts on the DVD.

Superman/Shazam: Return of the Black Adam [Blu-ray] [US Import]