4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the upgrade
Anyone considering buying this boxset probably already knows about the films; so I'm not going to give a review of the films in this set. Instead I'm going to give my opinion on the picture/sound and the technical information (which Amazon never seem to give or get right!).

All films are in 1080p.

Silence of the Lambs (Poorest Picture in this set...
Published on 6 April 2011 by Pantheon

2.0 out of 5 stars How to ruin a classic
Good blu rays...but just the first movie is a master piece...the rest is just a way to ruin a classic.
Published 2 months ago by Emanuele Maccherini

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the upgrade, 6 April 2011
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

All films are in 1080p.

Silence of the Lambs (Poorest Picture in this set. Barely better than the DVD. I have to admit to being very disappointed with the picture on this one).
Spanish DD 5.1
French DD 5.1
Thai DD 2.0

Subtitles: Cantonese/English/Korean/Spanish/Thai

Red Dragon (Excellent picture and sound and worthy of the upgrade to Blu-ray).
French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese DTS 5.1
2 x Commentary DD 2.0

Subtitles: Danish/Dutch/English/Finnish/French/German/Greek/Italian/Japanese/Korean/Norwegian/Portuguese/Spanish/Swedish/Traditional Mandarin

Hannibal (Excellent picture and sound and worthy of the upgrade to Blu-ray).
French and Spanish DTS 5.1
Commentary DD 2.0

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 29 Oct 2012
Three awesome movies bundles together in one box set. The blu-ray quality revives the films for me. If I have any criticism for this release (again, the blu-ray box set), it's that it doesn't make sense to me that the three boxes look anything alike standing next to each other. That's my biggest criticism, and I guess that says a lot about this brilliant set of films. A must!

5.0 out of 5 stars Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est?, 8 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy [DVD] (DVD)
I am baffled by the reasoning behind Amazon's extraordinarily bad habit of lumping reviews for broadly similar products all together like this. I wouldn't have the first idea what to do with a Blu-Ray version of this box-set so, in the unlikely event that this review makes it look like I do, I am rather keen to make one thing completely clear: my purchase was of the ordinary, 'no-frills' DVD three disc set. Blu-Ray and I have never met before and, given that this plain old box-set was cheaper than the Blu-Ray one anyway, I can't see us becoming acquainted at any time in the foreseeable future.

There. I feel much better for that.

Packaging-wise, there are three separate boxes and they all reside together inside a perfectly adequate cardboard sleeve. Inside each box is one single, solitary disc... and that's it. 'Hannibal' and 'Red Dragon' are both Regions 2 AND 4. Which I think means that, if I ever have cause to abscond to Rio, I will at least have these two DVDs to start my new collection.

Presentation-wise, the discs offer you the following;

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS:

- Subtitles in: English (Hard of Hearing), Croatian, Czech, Danish, English, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish and Turkish.

HANNIBAL:

- Subtitles in: English SDH, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Norwegian, Swedish, Turkish and Icelandic.
- A fabulous commentary by the director, Ridley Scott, that is worth the price of admission all on its own. It's a real insight into the process of condensing Thomas Harris' epic novel into a workable screenplay.

RED DRAGON:

- English and Hungarian subtitles AND language.
- A commentary by the director and the screenplay writer that is nowhere near as informative as Ridley Scott's, despite there being two of them. Ridley comes across as a down-to-earth creative wizard... Brett Ratner just comes across as being completely full of himself.
- A much more interesting 'Music Score Commentary', which allows you to enjoy the soundtrack as you watch the movie.
- Some mysterious technological wizardry that, allegedly, allows those viewing on their computers to install something from the net and to, allegedly, enjoy 'bonus' things. I haven't bothered to investigate it, and nor am I ever likely to.

'Hannibal' is the reason I sent for this set in the first place. Putting the grisly bits towards the end to one side (and the fact that the ending bears no relation to Thomas Harris' novel) it is a beautifully made film with a perfect soundtrack and a phenomenal choice of Florentine shooting locations. Julianne Moore is pretty darn gorgeous in it too.

I've never quite figured out the best time to watch 'Red Dragon', given that it is supposed to be the first part of the trilogy but it was filmed last. The make-up folk do a fabulous job of touching up Sir Hopkins and his 'dungeon' in Baltimore has been perfectly recreated, that's not the problem about watching it first... I think the problem about watching it first is that it makes 'The Silence of the Lambs' seem so incredibly slow by comparison. I do tend to watch it last but, then, that never feels quite right to me either.

There can't be anyone reading this who doesn't know the plots of these three films but, basically, Anthony Hopkins steals the show in every one. 'Hannibal' is the only one of the three that allows the character of Hannibal Lecter to dominate the story but in every case, as a viewer - while I do appreciate the effort that went into making the movies in general - I'm really only interested in his scenes. And - while I do appreciate that Sir Hopkins is a fantastic actor and Dr Lecter is the role of a lifetime - I'm really only interested in trying to figure out why 'Hannibal The Cannibal' is so incredibly attractive to women.

AND men.

No? Oh well, that must just be me then!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Dec 2014
Stunning Blu-Ray Transfers of the three fantastic Hannibal Lecter Movies The Silence Of The Lambs, Hannibal and Red Dragon.

The only downside is you don't get Manhunter in this set which was the first film, but as it was made by a different film company and Michael Mann it wasn't likely.

Great Oscar winning scripts, acting and action, and at this great price what more do you want?

A definite five star must buy purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... would definitely say they are in my top twenty favourite (especially Silence of the Lambs), 24 July 2014
This review is from: The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy [DVD] (DVD)
I watched these films years ago and would definitely say they are in my top twenty favourite (especially Silence of the Lambs). Anthony Hopkins was a brilliant actor and these films definitely show him to his full potential. I have been watching Hannibal (on tv) and even though it is good, I still think the first Hannibal (Anthony Hopkins) cannot be contested (in my own opinion).

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 27 Jun 2014
Top films! Had them on dvd upgrade to blu ray for a very reaaonible price! Very happy with this box set

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Trilogy, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy [DVD] (DVD)
This was bought to replace old video's of the same, classic trilogy which was classed by us as a 'must have'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy [DVD] (DVD)
What I ordered was classed as second hand, this was only evident on the outside on the box which had a few scuffs.
The movies are all classics, the highlight for me (and I suspect many others) is the silence of the lambs. However this is only my opinion. The movies are good quality (though obviously not HD) and I would definitely recommend that you buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really terrifying value, 17 Mar 2014
This modern trilogy is a classic in the horror genre - and a great bargain. If the collection has one weakness it is the film Hannibal. shot partly in my favourite place on the planet, Florence (Firenze) in Italy, where I have lived --- But I must say that the scenes truly reflect the city at night, it is a remarkable achievement never-the-less, as the book (on which the screenplay was very loosely-based) is as preposterous as Godfather 3...

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice set, 23 Feb 2014
A good box with great film, Silence of the Lambs. Other two are ok, great for those who have not seen the films or want a complete set.

The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy [DVD]
The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy [DVD] by Anthony Hopkins (DVD - 2010)