5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement to an already addictive game series.
I recieved this game on the 4th and have been playing it all day, I must say I am sooo impressed.

Interface:
Published on 5 Nov 2010 by Aaron Meneilly

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Fun Any More
I have been a fan of this game since it was Championship Manager 2 and bought it every year. Every year the development team try to make improvements that make the game more realistic, which basically has meant adding more elements to each release.

Published on 7 Nov 2010 by Mr. R. Harper

5.0 out of 5 stars Great improvement to an already addictive game series., 5 Nov 2010

Interface:
Fm 2010 greets you with an improved user interface, with it laid out particularly well. I can't say much on this point, but the screen is "filled" out more with conveient, for example, messages are grouped together into the day it was given and more information is presented without having to investigate further, for example a scout report of a player is much more convienient.

Live chat:
The addition I am very immpressed about is the live chat with players/staff/agents etc. It is far better than I expected. Each player/staff is different and you have to carefully negociate and handle problems and it presents a thrill aside from the actual matches. The most important thing is that so far, it hasn't really been repetitive, some agents are very stubborn or impatient and reaching an agreement can be a challenge.

Training:
The training has the addition of being able to focus on one aspect of a particular players game. For example, an intimidating Balotelli is pretty tall, I selected that his "attribute" be focused on to adapt to my style of play, as his heading attribute is quite modest to begin with. Again the interface for training is far better, with relevant pieces of information merged into one screen play.

3-D matches:
This is a vast improvement, the animations are much improved and overall graphics are impressive, it is better than I thought. I actually enjoy watching every match now :) You can also distinguish each player in each team when playing against them.

It is hard to draw out negetives of the game because it is vast improvement. However press conferences are as boring as ever but Fm2011 has a "team setting" feature whereyou can set your assistant manager/coach to automatically arrange friendlies, renew contracts, attend press conferences and much more. It removews those repitive, tedious tasks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily The Best Instalment Yet!, 5 Nov 2010
This review is from: Football Manager 2011 (PC) (Video Game)
The Football Manager series was great to start with. I love it. And every year it seems to make a few little tweaks to make it that little bit better.

I'll be honest, 2010 is the only version which I thought was a bit of a backward step. For some reason I just couldn't get into it. Something wasn't quite right.

However, this years version is an absolute joy to play and marks the biggest step forward for the game since it started.

I'll be brief, as I'm sure you've already read the blurb describing the new features. Basically, the whole interface just seems to flow better. There's more substance to it, and yet it's easier and more intuitive to get around. And some of those small tactical details that only the hardcore pay attention to, such as training, and staff meetings, are suddenly so much more obvious and appealing.

All the new features are fantastic, as I'm sure you'll find out, but the one that has impressed me more than any other is the presence of agents. It makes contract dealings and transfers so much more interesting and realistic. In fact the interaction overall is massively improved. Rather than just clicking on something and waiting for a player to moan to the press, you can actually have conversations with players, journalists, staff members etc. Brilliant. It all makes it feel much more like a state of the art game rather than a glorified (albeit amazing!) spreadsheet.

Oh okay, one more thing..... the matchday preparation is also an totally brilliant feature.

Well done SI! This is the game I've been waiting for since I played 1st Division Manager on my Atari more than 15 years ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Football Manager 2011 - The best just got better, 18 Nov 2010
C. Buck (UK) - See all my reviews
==Introduction==

It's that time of year again when SEGA and Sports Interactive release their award winning football management sim. This year Football Manager 2011 promises to be bigger and better and quite unbelievably, even more realistic than ever before. This is quite an achievement as each year's offering always takes realism to a new level which seems almost impossible to better.

Football Manager 2011 uses the same game engine as Football Manager 2010 so if you are a seasoned player of this series, you will already know what to expect. For new players, Football Manager 2011 is not a game you will be able to pick up and play when you have a spare five minutes. A lot of time and effort will be required if you are to be a successful football manager. We'll go into more detail about this later. In Football Manager, you do not actually control the players but, as in real life, the decisions you make throughout the duration of the game will effect your team's performance on the pitch.

==Installation==

Installation of Football Manager can be accomplished in one of two ways. The traditional method is to use the DVD disk which you will require in the drive each time you start up the game in order for it to read the copy protection information. The more innovative and preferred method is to use the Steam install. Steam are an online distributor of games titles and will authenticate your game for you each time you launch it. This method will not require you to have the game DVD in your drive once installation has occured, meaning you can put the disk away for safe keeping. Both installation methods require 2Gb of hard disk space but the advantage of using Steam is that you will automatically receive game updates before they become available for the boxed version. These updates will be applied without the need for the user to do anything making them ideal for technophobes. If you play through Steam, you will unlock achievements when you reach pre-set milestones in the game such as first win, first manager of the month award and unbeaten runs for example. These achievements don't offer anything else in terms of gameplay that the boxed version doesn't so you won't be missing out if you choose the boxed option.

==What's different to Football Manager 2010?==

Games such as Football Manager which get a new release annually are often criticised by non-followers of the title for being an excuse for software publishers to exploit it's fans. With Sports Interactive, this criticism is completely unjustified as each year the game evolves much further than just a data update. Although the same game engine as Football Manager 2010 is used, the match engine has been updated beyond recognition. Little touches such as night games actually being played at night, wear and tear on the pitch through the winter months and more graphical weather conditions really add to the game's realism. If these changes seem cosmetic, the artificial intelligence of the players has now been updated so that players are more likely to play a pass that you would expect if watching a live game yourself. Of course, what the players do in the game is largely down to your tactics so if you find yourself shouting at the screen because a player isn't doing what you want him to, he's probably only following your instructions.

Transfer negotiations in Football Manager 2011 are now extremely realistic. Up until now, in every football management game ever released, you would make an offer to a player who would go away and think about it, only to give you his decision a few days later. If he accepted you'd proceed but if he rejected you could make him a new offer and then wait another couple of days for his reply. Obviously, this is not how real transfer discussions take place and this has been addressed in Football Manager 2011. You now get the impression that you are sat round a table with the player and his agent in an attempt to thrash out a deal. If the player rejects your offer you can make a new one straight away which will either be accepted or declined straight away. You continue with this until either both sides are happy or one side walks away without a deal being done. Even if you do come to an agreement at this stage, the player will still go away and think things over before coming back to you with a decision. This is very true to life and a great enhancement of the game.

Player interaction has been given a new look also in Football Manager 2011. You can now hold conversations with any of your players, asking them anything from recommending a new signing right up to telling them to practice avoiding using their weaker foot during matches. Depending on the characteristics of the player, each player will react differently to your instructions. Man management is a key factor of Football Manager 2011 and if you have a squad with high morale who are prepared to work for each other, you stand a much better chance of being successful, even with a weaker team.

==Twitter and YouTube in a PC game, surely not!!!==

With Football Manager 2011, Sports Interactive have jumped onto the social networking bandwagon allowing you to automatically post updates to your Twitter feed and even upload goals and other match events onto YouTube for other players around the globe to see. These functions are optional and are turned off by default.

==The final whiste==

Football Manager 2011 is the closest thing to perfection as far as football management simulations go. This is a definite purchase, even if you own Football Manager 2010 or below. It will be interesting to see what new features appear in Football Manager 2012 as this looks extremely difficult to beat. Then again, I said exactly the same last year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Fun Any More, 7 Nov 2010
Mr. R. Harper "StThrobber" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Football Manager 2011 (PC) (Video Game)

In recent years for me that game's fun aspect has all but gone. I've just installed the game and played it over 2 nights so far, and I've not even started the first season yet.

The addition of the agent in transfer negotiations is a good one, but some of the player conversations are quite frankly, pointless and ridiculous. I asked one of my players to dribble more down the left flank as he was a left sided midfielder. His response was "I don't think that will improve my game". I advise that I'd like him to try it all the same and he says the conversation is finished as it's not going to well. That kind of thing is quite frankly, laughable.

The matchday press conferences seem more full of pointless questions that go on and on, so I'm quite happy to leave it to my assistant which makes that feature fairly redundant.

I don't think the complexity of the game is improving it at all. For me that best parts of the game were always searching the transfer market and the game itself.

The other annoying thing is that with every successive release, they move features somewhere else. I know you find them eventually and things become more familiar again, but you want to play the game, not spend time searching for things that you used to know the location of.

I don't know if I'll ever become as addicted to this game as I did years ago when SI was just a small concern. In trying to make improvements to the game this time, they've failed in my opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars I don't want to be Rafa Benitez, 17 May 2011
This review is from: Football Manager 2011 (PC) (Video Game)
I love football, and I love complicated games, but this game is complicated to the point that it just isn't football anymore. Here's a brief example of what playing this game is like.

I took over a team with no money and few assets. I had a couple of good wingers, so I decided I wanted to play with my wingers always out wide and taking up advanced positions, then play a lot of diagonal and crossfield passes to stretch the opposition and find them in space. Simple, right? But it never happened, no matter how much I tinkered, and because there are so many things to tinker with I had no idea how to convey these simple instructions. My wingers never took up the sort of positions i wanted, and the passing never went how i liked.

First I thought it was my team instructions. I set a wide width (simple enough) and a fast tempo, but my wingers still pulled inwards. Perhaps it was rigidity/fluidity setting, or perhaps I shouldn't play direct (does direct mean direct to goal? or can it apply to crossfield passes?), no matter, these settings didn't get it how I wanted. Perhaps the team mentality is too defensive, or maybe I shouldn't focus on the flanks if I want to switch play from wing to wing. Who knows.

Perhaps it was my player's stats, off the ball, positioning, decisions, concentration - which of these would make my wingers take up good advanced positions? Or maybe their mentality, are they attacking? Do they prefer some other position? Maybe their training was making them take bad positions. Maybe it was simply that their morale was low, or maybe after all that it would just take them time to adjust to the system. I don't know, it could be any of these many things.

Maybe it has nothing to do with that, and was my assistants mentality towards training and tactics. Maybe they just weren't good enough. Maybe the positions of other players were the cause. Maybe the opposition was scuppering my sideways play, or maybe the player's roles should be set differently. Maybe I had to go directly and have a 'chat' with the player to try and adjust their habits (something which takes weeks to come to fruition).

Heck, maybe the pitch was just too wide.

There are a billion variables in this game, and it's impossible to relate any of them directly to what happens on the pitch. There was an elegant simplicity to the more primitive management games that is gone now.

All I could do was tinker and tinker and hope that eventually I could convey these simple instructions. This is just one example, the entire game is like this. In older management games I could just stick my players into a 4-2-4, (with wingers just ahead of midfield) adjust a few settings, and the game could infer pretty much what I wanted. Now it is really a stat game more than a football game, and I don't like that. Maybe I'm asking too much of the game, but then, why have all these variables and options if I can't get a team just how I like it?

Not to mention all the while I was tinkering with tactics I had to wade through pointless exercises like press conferences, constant unnecessary news updates about things I had no interest in, and dealing with the personal problems and relationships of players.

In short, the only way to play this game is to be Rafa Benitez and fiddle with stats, variables and sliders. If you don't enjoy that, and would rather play a football game that feels more like real football then you'd be better off with one of the older football management games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Addictive Game, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Football Manager 2011 (PC) (Video Game)
This game is that good that i've stopped playing on FM 14 and decided to pay 4 for this game, money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Footy Sim for Pc, 20 Sep 2013
This review is from: Football Manager 2011 (PC) (Video Game)
Arguably the best footy sim on the market. I bought this as a back up, just in case my original copy deteriorates.

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: Football Manager 2011 (PC) (Video Game)
I have long been a devotee to FM, but year on year with added features the game has got slower and slower to play until we have reached the point with FM 2011 where it is no viable to play this and hold down a full time job. Every year when the new version is launched I think 'it's too slow, they've ruined it' before being suckered in. This year it just hasn't sucked me in. Its back in its case where it will remain.

I know this has always been a conundrum with the FM and before it the CM series, but 14 hours to complete a season is excessive. FM 2011 has ceased to be a game and is a simulation, and with it alot of the fun and joy has gone.

About the game itself, well there are some new features that slow the game down further and add very little; the interaction with players is infuriating, the fortnightly staff meetings a waste of time (staff inform you that such and such requires specific training, the following meetings staff inform that such and such is unhappy with their training schedule). The match engine is good, but I rarely bother with it; the game takes long enough without watching matches.

It would be great for the future if there were options to customise the way you want to play FM, i.e. strip out the parts you dont wish to bother with when loading the game, because in it's current format it is unplayable unless you are unemployed or a student. How I long for the days when you rattle through a season in 6 hours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Amended Review.. Even worse than I originally thought., 19 Jan 2011
Mad Fart (Middle Earth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Football Manager 2011 (PC) (Video Game)
It's been a few years since I truly enjoyed a Football Manager game. I know it's all down to personal preference, but as someone who basically grew up with Championship Manager, the newer releases seemed a bit tragic to me. They were always annoying in some way. You never win away to Manchester United in your first season for a start. It doesn't matter if you're squad is on superb morale and Man U have ten players out through injury - you can guarantee, they will drill at least one past you (that's if you are lucky, it's normally more) and your forwards will miss all their chances during the match. It's almost as if it's programmed that way. Up to now, my forwards just don't play well regularly. This reminds me of FM 2008. The dreaded red covered edition. I hated that game because of it. It was no fun at all. It didn't matter who I bought, they were rubbish most of the time and gave me more back-chat and 'unh' symbols than they did goals.

Then there is the deplorable: win the league title, make a great signing to bolster the squad, then watch your team capitulate for no reason at the start of season two. Everyone stays on holiday and needs two months of fines to get over the close season. Stupid. The whole club stops working, apart from you. The coaches, the players, the physios. Then you are left to deal with the mess of poor fitness, injuries and terrible form.

So, one asks again after many years of playing this game... Where are the real features it needs so desperately? For one, you can't control your staff at all. Once their contracts are done - it stops. You can't push them, challenge them or question them. So why have them at all? Are your assistants not the most important part of management? So why do the makers forget this year after year?

Formation wise, I pick a 4-4-2 with attacking wingers. I don't do fancy tactics, multiple player instructions, or original training schedules. I tend to play the game like I did back in the day, without too much fuss, but not so little that the game becomes redundant and boring. I don't do many conferences, they are mundane and repetitive. I also noticed after no time, that I have a better success rate against the bigger clubs, when my assistant does the talking pre-match. So, in effect, the conferences are rather pointless and take up too much time for the sake of non existent realism. It's not realistic. It gives you the same questions and options of answer every time. So it's pretty poor.

Team talks are still primitive. I would love to be able to tell players they are playing for their contracts. But you can't.. you have to molly coddle them constantly. Treat them like women. The guy who codes the game mustn't have been in a changing room all his days. It's just not like that. It's raw in real life and men collide. This game makes all the players look like petulant children and handbags.

In 2011, you can have personal chats, but they are more hindrance than good. Whoever sorted this aspect of the game out deserves a good beating with a fish. As Juventus manager, I couldn't for the life of me get Buffon to work in training, or play a game without cocking up. The personal chats were useless, just like the pre-match conferences. He either agreed with me and still played really bad (sometimes achieving 4.7 rating), or behaved nonchalantly and carried on with his poor form regardless. So what's the option? You can drop him and be forced to have an another chat! Sighs. Please go away Gigi, you are doing my head in, ya tart!

Another amazing feature of this game, is players requesting transfers even though you have fulfilled your promise to give them games. It's happened to me countless times. I bring someone back from the reserves after terrible form, give him game time and then get bombarded with transfer requests anyway! I've added all patches, even the most recent March release. Still no fix. I've had it happen with 3 players in the past week.

You end up focusing on the terrible form of one player, that never stops giving you problems all season. I ended up either caving in to demands, or terminating contracts. All this takes you away from the reason you play the game. FOOTBALL. FM2011 isn't moving forward in my opinion. It thinks it is, but it's losing its edge. A game is meant to be enjoyable. We as people, get enough reality. We needn't pay through the teeth for a programmers version of it too. Games are meant to be games. Keep them that way please.

I haven't even played two games on the trot with the same team lineup in FM2011. It's impossible. There's always an injury, or somebody unfit. Player morale is a nightmare to keep high too. Squad rotation means nothing to tired players, they still get poor morale if you drop them when they are injured, or at 70% condition. If you drop them to the reserves, due to a 6.10 average, they demand to be in the first team squad, have a whine and become unhappy.

A player can get a 9.3 game rating and receive praise, then give you three consecutive 4.8 performances. You mention you are unhappy about this downturn in the 'personal chats' section, he then gets stressed and wants to leave. He then doesn't play well again all season. It's a bit of a joke really. Maybe the game was made by a comedian who is sat at home laughing his backside off, whilst counting cash. It would explain a lot. They know nothing about football, that's for sure.

As a 'game', FM 2011 is atrocious. I can't stand it. It's not misunderstood - It's over-rated. I keep going back to see if it's me, but it isn't. The game is a total stress. It's horrible to play, annoying throughout, frustrating and seriously unforgiving. Most of the time my team has capitulated, it hasn't been my fault. The game just chooses to give you 15 injuries at once. You can get as many as 4 injuries a game on this version. A player comes back, plays ten minutes and gets another bad injury. If you make three subs during the game, expect to have another man get sent off, or injured before the final whistle, because it's all about giving you problems, not fun. The punishment is like clockwork. It always comes round.

When players get injured (every day), they hardly ever regain their form. Once you are hit, you are hit.

To see so many 5 star reviews makes me wonder. Really does.

I mean seriously now.. what is this? A game, or a prison sentence? Little improvements mean absolutely naff all, if you spoil the game by keeping the pointless old mistakes.

Up to now, I've won the league with Juve and capitulated next season miserably, and...

..began with Tottenham, had an amazing pre-season, beat Wigan opening day 3-0, only to get trounced over two legs by Fenerbache in the Champs Lge qualifiers, having had over 27 shots on goal in the home leg alone. Player morale went down, I then got beat at Man United after outplaying them (surprise surprise), then it was season over. Two bids from big clubs for my players came in, (Modric & Bale), their loyalty faltered as always on Football Manager games and the whole 3 hours spent setting up was wasted.

Wonderful game. A real pleasure to play. The comedian is laughing again.

If you fiddle a little in editor, the game still punishes you.. sometimes a lot more. Let's say you are a fantasist and want to make a super team for instance. You can edit a team to be almost perfect with all the best players, load it up and it will still be a nightmare to play. Players don't gel, under-perform, whine and get injured far too much. This isn't coincidence. It's game makers restricting the fun people can have. Damn comedians.

You always have to pay five-ten million more than any other team for a player and you can never get the right price for your own. They end up sat in your squad, getting old, lapping up wages. This has been a problem for so many editions. Why has it not been amended? Because the makers are comedians? :P

I took a peek to see what all the fuss was about in 3D. It looks better, but it's hardly a crucial aspect of football managerial games. To be honest, until they get the stupid stuff right, what's the point in doing 3D sprites and muddy pitches? I've always been a fan of the classic view. The 2D is good too. You spend so much time managing, why the need for 3D highlights? The game stops flowing. I mean, does anybody use the normal speed during matches? I find that hard to imagine. Who wants to sit there and watch mini sprites jitter across the screen at snails pace? I don't know - there is gaming - then there is needing a life. I've never played at normal pace during the games and replays are constantly turned off. I will never need the 3D animations. I simply set my screen to 2D classic and the match speed mostly to the right, showing only key moments. That feels like a management 'game' to me then. It shouldn't take anyone two weeks to do a full season. We are only young once for heavens sake.

This game used to be worth 20 when it was good. I pull my face paying for it now. I only do it, because there is nothing else to compete. Maybe that's the problem. A game made by comedians.

'Oh I'm injured and not happy about you dropping me - buy me a dress and sell me!' Bog of Sega. Cranks.

Thanks for reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Dec 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Football Manager 2011 (PC) (Video Game)
This 2011 version is up to the usual high standard with a few excellent additions like negotiating with agent for contracts would recommend

Football Manager 2011 (PC)
Football Manager 2011 (PC) by Sega (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista)
0.94