4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - thought provoking but very enjoyable read
Published on 23 April 2008 by Ms. Amy Boyce

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay read
In early 1909 cousins Zelda and Vicky meet the Remer brothers in Berlin. Within two years they are both married and living in Berlin. While Zelda takes to Berlin like a duck to water. Yorkshire born Vicky does not and with the war coming Vicky goes back to Yorkshire with her children, a event that will change the Remer family forever. Over the four decades wars will be...
Published 11 months ago by M. E. Newell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - thought provoking but very enjoyable read, 23 April 2008
Ms. Amy Boyce (Lincs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Paperback)
I bought this on a whim, I had never heard of Rebecca Dean but was tempted when I read the blurb. I love novels that are just that but with an educational twist. We all know the horrific story of the second world war but this was done in such a different way, told from such a different viewpoint, she encompasses the horrors that befall not just the British but the Germans and the Jews as well. You do fall in love with many of the characters and really care about what happens to them. I laughed and I cried and read a lot of it with my heart in my mouth.
I would totally recommend it, for a big book it is a fairly quick read but would not put it in the same category as the Penny Vincenzis and Barbara Taylor Bradfords... it seems deeper than that to me!
Read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars enemies of the heart, 11 May 2009
Mrs. Sh Wilson (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Paperback)
I read this book and could not put it down when i finished reading this wonderful story I was back into amazon to find out if Rebecca Dean had any more books and was happy that she had can't wait for the postman for my new book

4.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable, 18 Feb 2010
D. Worth (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book very much and found myself abandoning my daily routine to race through the last third of the book. it's a good read, though perhaps with too many characters to be able to realise each of them fully. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Yorkshire than just the Hall and the station, but overall I would choose one of Rebecca's books again, and I say this as, like her, a Yorkshire lass of German extraction.

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you to all reviewers who recommended this wonderful book, 5 May 2010
Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Paperback)
thank you to all reviewers who recommended this book!!
This is the first book I have read of this author and it will certainly will not be the last. It was fantastic and so full of history. I have read so many books that are based around the years of the first and second world wars.. they all seemed to use the well known parts of history which were well documented. Rebecca Dean had written so much factual history into this book which I had no idea about. the storyline was brilliant and had everything in it from love to hatred to pure feelings of devastation. It showed both sides of the war how the germans suffered to how the british suffered. What really got me how much the Jews went through, other books I had read touched on that part of history but this author really showed how much evil Hitler had in his heart especially towards the Jews, handicapped even those who had a different colour to him. if you had not got blue eyes and blonde hair you were to him an inferior race!! which I found hard to read about but Rebecca Dean was such a great author I wanted to read more and learn more.. the only thing I did not like was when the book ended.. It would make a fantastic film if they kept to the book that is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read!, 27 May 2009
P. Pemberton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Paperback)
I highly recommend this book. Elegant, heartwarming and exciting. I fell in love with the characters and found the drama of the war was very movingly portrayed.

5.0 out of 5 stars a gripping read!, 7 April 2008
M. J. Lardner "Jojo" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Paperback)
I love this book - it's brilliantly written and is without doubt one of the best that i've read for ages. The characters are loveable and realistic and there is a genuine sense of loss when the book is finished. Based in the early twentieth century, this book does what few do - tells the story of WWII from a German and British viewpoint - we often forget that to be German was definately not the same as being a NAZI. After all, less than half of the German population elected the Nazis and how many would have if they had known the horrors that such a brutally repressive totalitarian regime would bring?
If you enjoy fast-moving, attention gripping novels - this is a must!! I am hoping that there will be more from the excellent Rebecca Dean!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Kindle Edition)
This book takes you on a journey - 2 world wards, three/4 generations and so many stories....couldn't put it down and haven't stopped telling people about it! A must read....

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely absorbing., 21 Nov 2008
G. Inglis "girlyworm" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Paperback)
I'm not usually one to write book reviews as I'm not a generally wordy person. However I have to say that I became completely lost in this particular book.Without giving too much away, the characters and the locations were so well portrayed that I was almost there with them in the city of Berlin, or the rolling gardens of their Yorkshire home. I noted that a previous review was based largely on the sense that the facts of the war werent correct, too be honest I wasn't paying attention to that, if you want facts go to a history book, if you want an enrapturing love epic then this is the book for you. It has surprises and will they wont they's and moments where you just wish you were part of the family.

All in all, I will certainly be reading this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great audio book!, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Kindle Edition)
I borrowed the audio version from the library and listened to it over 3 days of cleaning the house from top to bottom. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and it made the cleaning painless! It's a family saga with history, and loads of good characters that are well defined Some reviewers have complained about the history bits - well, they just need to buy a history book! I wanted a warm, well written story that gripped me and that's what I got! And the reader, Helen Longworth, is one of the best readers of audio I've heard. Writer and reader make a great combination - I'd like more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Divided loyalties, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Enemies of the Heart (Kindle Edition)
To sum it up, “wow”. Once I got started in this novel and got to know the characters, I couldn’t put down Enemies of the Heart. Spanning two world wars, this follows how a German-English family is tested through loyalties towards their country versus their own personal beliefs.

The way that author seamlessly moves the narrative away from Vicky and Zelda to their children meant that the pace of the story continued and it really did not feel like a 600-page novel. However, I was never left wondering what was happening to the other characters in different locations. The lengthy chapters covered several areas at once over a small time period and it was fascinating to read how the family’s lives were changing as a result of the Second World War in particular.

The constant fear that a member of their extended family had been injured or killed in the war kept the tension throughout the story. The lack of communication that the characters had with one another had me desperate to find out whether the family would be reunited at all and I was always wanting them to know that their siblings/parents were doing ok. When these small reunions did happen, it was a relief shared by the characters and myself alike and proved a relaxing respite from the terrors of the war.

It was incredible to read how each member of this family’s life became so different to one another. Although so many of the siblings lived in Berlin, their experiences of war were different yet, equally terrifying. Indeed, it made me realise the hardships that Germans suffered and provided an alternative angle to the Second World War, one that I had not previously considered.

Most of this book was read with my heart in my mouth as I feared each character’s actions would expose them as challenging the Nazi regime. Dean has you loving the characters and caring for them: wanting each to return to their loved one safely and for them all to be reunited. It is this that made this such an enjoyable read and one that I couldn’t put down. The evolution of all of the characters and narrative was a clever way of telling the story and I found that by the end of the novel, I had a connection with all of them, even characters who I didn’t really like at the beginning of this story.

I cannot recommend this book enough and would definitely read this book again. It does not drown readers in historical fact and the character lives that you follow are all varied. There is never a dull moment and the way that everything links together at the end was very satisfying. I am really keen to read other books by this author and if they are anything like Enemies of the Heart, then I know I am in for a real treat.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›