4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!
On face value this book is a joy to look through - wonderfully original layout and makes you dribble at the endless combinations they suggest! It has been written very down-to-earth and homely so makes even better reading for those wanting a lovely baking day at home when its raining outside.

However the reason for 4 stars is that it is all American...
Published on 20 July 2010 by Z. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny book
This book is funny written with nice drawings. Not the best recipe book I own, but the stories and humor make up for it.
Published on 2 Jun 2011 by Sabine

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book!, 20 July 2010
Z. Green (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whoopie Pies (Cookery) (Hardcover)

However the reason for 4 stars is that it is all American measurements and can take a while to convert in to UK weights (but not impossible because there are plenty of conversion tables available on the web) - beware about converting correctly though or the recipes won't work.

All in all I am very pleased I bought this book, as not only is everyone I know now obessesed with these treats, but the recipes are fantastic and some of the fillings are to die for!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 13 Feb 2011
Sue (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whoopie Pies (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I bought this book a while ago and have just made my first batch. You definately need to take a few minutes to get the weights sorted from cups as trying to measure a cup of vegetable shortening is quite tricky!! I made them on a baking sheet using a tablespoon of batter as it tells you to but I recommend either using a heavy loaded teaspoon or get the whoopie baking tray that is available as they came out a bit larger than they should!!

I made the vanilla cakes with the tradition 'fluff' cream. Do not attempt to make this cream unless you have a food mixer as a hand held electric whisk can't cope with the heaviness of the mixture. Also don't go on what the cream taste's like from the bowl (I did and thought it didn't have much flavour) you need to taste it with the cakes!!

All in all a great book and I'm looking to try out more flavours!!

4.0 out of 5 stars whoopie for whoopies !!!, 2 Sep 2010
S. A. Swinney (shrops..uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whoopie Pies (Cookery) (Hardcover)
i really love this book and have made 3 of the whoopie pies in it...the only reason i give it a 4 star rather than a five is that im in the uk and this is all in us cups.....i do have a set of cups but i find them a pain !!!! also it does call for marshmallow fluff which we can get over in in the uk but only from specialist stores such as selfridges and its really expensive ...althou apparently there is a recipe on the sainsburys web site !
over all simple instructions and delicious whoopies !!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny book, 2 Jun 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, 21 Sep 2010
E. V. Ross (Preston, Lancs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whoopie Pies (Cookery) (Hardcover)
Excellent book, easy to understand recipies. great photography and advice. I would have liked to have had more variations on the combinations but I assume that this is down to the imagination of the reader; great book for the whoopie pies, as they have only been seen in British shops for the last six months.

3.0 out of 5 stars better books on the market, 5 April 2012
This review is from: Whoopie Pies (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I loved this book when I got it - loads of recipes, tons of flavours, lovely design & pictures and I really liked the fact it's American as I wanted the authentic flavour. Measuring in US cups not a problem for me as I have them, but if you don't I wouldn't bother, the conversion is a pain.

However, I'm sad to say I've only used this book once. The recipes use a vegetable shortening instead of butter for a 'lighter' flavour, altogether more authentic apparently. I just found them to be greasy and a bit flavourless, a bit synthetic tasting. Perhaps this is the authentic way but give me a buttery whoopie any day. I've been meaning to give them another go with butter instead but never have. I wish I'd bought a different book now...

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoopies - yum!!!, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Whoopie Pies (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I was given this book as a gift and after sampling some of the recipies, both my sister and sister in law have also brough this book!! Getting hold of the ingredients can be a bit tricky - I have substitued the vegetable shortening with both butter and stork and either work well. Also, its well worth converting the 'tablespoon' measures for teaspoon measure when placing the batter onto baking trays otherwise the whoppies are MASSIVE!! No matter who I have shared my whoppies with, they have always enjoyed them!!

4.0 out of 5 stars whoopie?, 10 Jun 2011
This review is from: Whoopie Pies (Cookery) (Hardcover)
This is a great book I ordered in order to bake with my granddaughter fun cakes - it is really interesting giving a short history of where they come from (I never normally read the introduction to books) and they are easy to make - if a little hard to try and understand how to replace 'shortening' in the recipes. Definitely a good addition to my cook books for a change on the normal cakes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book - shame about the ingredients!!, 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: Whoopie Pies (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I agree with the above review - this is a very lovely book, well written and the instructions are very clear. I also agree with the conversion problem - which, as the previous reviewer stated, can be overcome with some homework. However, sourcing some of the ingredients has proven to be quite tricky and expensive!!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book!, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Whoopie Pies (Cookery) (Hardcover)
I bought this book based upon many of the reviews already on the website. I wasn't disapointed. The recipes are in american 'cups', and I have replaced vegetable shortening with butter which has worked really well. I've had problems getting marshhmallow fluff, as many of our local supermarkets don't stock this item but managed to order some through amazon - the marshmallow filling is well worth the effortFluff Marshmallow Fluff 212 g (Pack of 4). So far I've only made the chocolate whoopie pies with marshmallow cream but on both occasions they have been very well received. There's lots of potential to mix different whoopie pies and fillings and they are very easy to make. I have used flat baking trays which work really well, although they do look a bit more professional and more like the examples in the book when using a whoopie pie tin A G W International Whoopie Pie Tin. I would definately recommend this book.

Whoopie Pies