• Remix

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 27 December 2010
I don't really do 5 stars because it seems over the top, but in this case I did dither over it for some minutes before caving; my only criticisms are very minor really.

This is the story of Caz Tallis, who makes a meagre living restoring rocking horses. She finds a man and dog asleep on her sofa and, reacting with more courtesy than you'd expect in such a situation, finds herself befriended by a legendary rock star back from the dead - and that's before the action really kicks off!

The characters are well-drawn, believeable and the type of people you do actually want to hang around with. Ric is - well, as you imagine he would be, Caz is feisty and compassionate but never tiresome, Jeff is obnoxious-but-sympathetic, and of the other characters, the eventual baddie is splendidly, unredeemably manipulative and ruthless, and at least one of the good guys has potential to develop in interesting directions in the sequels (will be buying them to find out!)

How to classify the story? Difficult until they make a tag that says "Cinderella-detective-humour with added rocking horse action" but actually, and as an aside, I was quite fascinated by the rocking horses as well....

If I had to find something to criticise in this story,it would be purely a matter of format, and a detail at that.***(see Update at bottom)*** Every new chapter follows on the same page as the old one, and in places the page-breaks are awkward. I'd prefer the new chapter to start on a new page just to avoid the formatting calling me back out of the imaginary London. Otherwise a stonking read though.

....I should probably warn you, I started reading quite late at night just to get a taste for it and finished the damn thing around 2am entirely by accident...
I can recommend reading it.
JAC

UPDATE: Having seen the comment re chapter-page-breaks, Lexi has now fixed this so 5* and no quibbles! JAC
33 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2011
I have to say this isn't normally the type of thing I'd read but I found it an unexpected joy.

From the very first page (young woman finds a supposedly dead man asleep on her balcony) it's intriguing and develops into a genuinely involving story, well written (the pages seemed to turn themselves) and ingenuously plotted. It's also full of unexpected details, such as the rocking horses, and plenty of humour. The book's greatest strength though is the characters, especially the delightful Caz who's sassy and resourceful and utterly likeable. For her alone you'll read to the end.

The type of book to put you in a good mood, I can only recommend you get a copy. You'll find it vastly superior to a lot of the fodder churned out by major publishers.

PS - I see a lot of readers have got this on Kindle. Being something of a Luddite I read mine the old-fashioned way, i.e. as a paperback, but the quality was excellent and even survived the bath!
on 31 December 2011
I often feel that negative reviews give you better information than the gushy ones. One-star reviews, however, usually tell you more about the reviewer than about the product. Like people who stay at a one-star hotel and complain because it has no elevator.
This is definitely the case with "Remix". A bunch of people who don't really know what romances are and don't like them seem to have panned it because it's a romance, then dismissed it because it's "Chick Lit".
This book deserves 4 stars. It is a well-written story, with a particularly sympathetic main character who acts like most of us would (if we had the courage) in the same situation. Revellian has borrowed a trick from Dick Frances: giving her main character an interesting occupation, and filling just enough detail of the job to give the story a unique twist, and the character an extra dollop of credibility. Anybody who can restore antique rocking horses with that sort of passion and skill deserves a certain amount of respect.
Most of the other characters are painted with a broader brush, as you might expect, as they come from the world of rock and roll. Revellian has a talent for creating memorable secondary characters in a quick but unobtrusive fashion, like a good cartoonist, who can capture a vivid character with a few quick lines.
The reason I didn't come through with a fifth star is because I don't think the murder mystery that makes up the majority of the conflict is exceptional. It's a strong plotline, but not overly creative or convoluted. The crucial final scene, however, has great suspense, and enough twists and setbacks to satisfy any murder mystery fan.
Perhaps the denouement stretches on a bit, but it's a fine, feel-good happy ending. If this were a murder mystery, of course, I wouldn't be telling. However, it's a romance, so you knew it before you started the book.
This book is chick lit, but I'm a 60-something male, and I read it in one day, enjoying every minute. An entertaining light read, definitely recommended.
on 8 June 2011
I did a double-take when I saw that this book was labelled as 'Contemporary Romance' - I have never read a romance in my life, and it never occurred to me that I was reading one as I got caught up in REMIX! I'm a crime/detective/mystery fan, and I really enjoyed that aspect of the book. To be honest had I thought it was a contemporary romance I would never have started it, and I would have really missed out. A Kindle lesson - try new things - you may be very pleasantly surprised!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was totally engaged the whole way through, waiting to find out what happened next. The characters were easily visualised and I cared about what happened to them. I work in the area where Caz Tallis lives, so I found that the familiar setting also drew me in. I knew nothing about rocking horses before starting the book, so that was something new and interesting, and gave the book a very unique flavour. The only thing I was confused about was the seeming obsession the characters had with brandy!

I'd highly recommend this book and can easily imagine it being adapted for television - I'd definitely watch.
on 24 December 2012
I read Replica by Lexi Revellian and enjoyed it so much had no hesitation in downloading this novel; I wasn't disappointed.

Just as well written, gripping and well developed plot and characters. I particularly liked Caz's character and her profession. The mixture in genres kept me turning the pages, finishing this novel in a day (and late night!).

Highly recommended, both novel and author, I'll be waiting for future novels by Lexi Levellian her writing style is effortless.
on 11 December 2012
"Remix" by Lexi Revellian is a book which covers several genres. When I started to read, it felt almost like chick lit, but developed into a mystery with romance thrown in for good measure. The main female character, Caz, is a likeable young woman, who restores and makes rocking horses. In fairly improbable circumstances, she meets Ric Kealey, one time member of a rock band, and becomes embroiled in his attempts to clear his name of a murder that he claims he did not commit. The story moves on quickly and the author introduces us to some interesting characters along the way, all of whom have an important part to play in the unravelling of the mystery surrounding Ric.

"Remix" is an easy to read, fast paced story. The more I've thought about it, the more I realize how well crafted it is. The author writes in a seemingly effortless style, with characters and plot lines which keep the pages turning.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone who wants a light, well written and entertaining read!
on 19 April 2012
I found this a very difficult book to review as it doesn't really fit it any category at all. I suppose it is a kind of romance with elements of mystery and a bit of a thriller too. As previous reviewers have said, it certainly isn't "Classic" fiction (and sometimes it seems so light and insubstantial that it could float away!) but it is entertaining.
At times I stopped reading and decided that the main character, Caz, was mad and too naive to live alone and without supervision, but I also found the information about rocking horses and their painstaking restoration fascinating.
I think the author's humourous style of writing is similar to that of Sue Grafton, tho' she doesn't write with any of Grafton's depth.
If you're looking for something light and entertaining to read without taxing your brain too much, then Remix definitely fits the bill. I'm happy to have read the book, but the experience won't particularly encourage me to buy any other works by the same author.
on 14 January 2011
Like everyone else I enjoyed this book. I was in the middle of finishing a relationship so needed a bit of light reading, and I immediately identified with the main character Cas who also seems to spend a lot of her time justifying why she's fallen for the wrong guy.

Half way through though, I did begin to wonder if the author was getting sponsorship from companies for dropping their names into the book, the way that TV companies do for using products. There are constant references to Google - I even discovered a new way to Google things through reading this book. And references to how sleek and comfortable a BMW is, great value clothes from Peacocks and so on. I guess that if we are going to be able to buy books for 49p, authors may have to find other ways to get paid and this could be one of them. But it's a scary thought that product placement could be creeping into our books.
on 1 March 2012
New author for me - finished the book this afternoon and downloaded the next one as soon as I got home. Very well written, Caz and Ric are likeable characters but not perfect which makes them more believable. I was hooked from the beginning. The unusual way the characters meet leaves you feeling bemused, a little disbelieving and compelled to find out how the author is going to carry it off, but carry it off she does. Enjoyed the rocking horse background, interesting and fits well into the story. James and Jeff (two main supports) couldn't be more different but work in an odd sorty of way. About 30% in I found myself hoping that there would be more books like this which is always a good sign. So now I'm off to see if Replica is as interesting to readReplica
on 15 April 2011
Let's face it, a lot of indie novels could do with a good spit and polish, but Remix is a cut above. It's beautifully-written, with an appealing heroine, a fun premise and a cool rock'n'roll storyline about a rock star trying to prove his innocence when the whole world thinks he's dead.

It says a lot about the state of publishing that Lexi Revellian coudn't find a mainstream book publisher for this. The quality of the writing puts a lot of professionally-edited authors to shame.

All in all, highly recommended and a deserved smash hit. Can't wait to read the new book, Replica.

Mark Edwards