Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 18 September 2010
Sonically, the listener is never going to be blown away by the quality of these tracks. However, in terms of their value to the discerning Bolan fan they are still somewhat priceless.

Similar in structure to the `Bump & Grind' and `Shadowhead' compilations of recent years this is a collection of mostly unreleased Bolan demos, rehearsals and live tracks.

In my opinion this set is worth the asking price for the France rehearsal sessions alone. The `garage' style of these four tracks is akin to having the classic 72' T.Rex line up playing in your front room. Add in a blistering live studio version of `Buick Mackane' and a gorgeous electric performance of `Life's a Gas' (classically lovely in any format just like Lou's `pale blue eyes' always is!) and you have a collection of some merit.

Not as consistent in quality as the aforementioned albums but definitely worth the money. Oh, and for those who care about such things, the packaging is rarther nice too!
on 14 November 2010
The previous reviewer has it spot on. The sound quality may not be the greatest but the raw edge you experience listening to the sessions reorded in France and indeed Germany reminds you that Marc and indeed T.Rex as a band were under rated when it came to live performance and musicianship in general.
I took a while to decide to buy this, after all, how many versions of the same songs does anyone need ? But I am really pleased I took the plunge.
There are some marvellous versions of acknowledged Bolan classics (the versions of Jeepster and Cadillac are indeed mighty fine) and some lovely unexpected gems (Truck on Tyke with Mary Hopkin for example)
I should also point out that the version of Buick Mackane on this CD sees Marc and the band showing us how to deliver a heavy rock tour de force - it really is a very powerful,driving performance.
Amazon do not appear to have listed the tracks on Disc 2 of this CD,which consists of various outtakes and unsused versions of songs. The listing for Disc 2 is -

One Inch Rock (Takes one and two), One Inch Rock (Takes three and four), The Children Of Rarn (Outtake), The Wizard (Take One), The Wizard (Takes two,three and four) The Wizard (Take five), The Children Of Rarn (outtake) and Woodland Rock (Unused version)

The second disc is not as strong as the first but is still offers a really interesting insight into the way Marc recorded his music. This is a CD which will be a real treat for those fans of Marc who have to have everything they can get their hands on and as pointed out by the previous reviewer, a nice bit of packaging too.
on 1 July 2013
The sound quality of this material is superb, I have never heard anything on disc 2 before and that alone is worth the price of purchase. The booklet essay is very informative as well, and the few tracks I have heard before were never in as great sound quality as these ones! If I'd paid thirty or forty quid for this as a bootleg i'd have been well chuffed, so getting it for £13 pound odd is a real teenage dream! More Bolan please Easy Action!
on 17 March 2015
Beautiful music as always from the lovely Marc Bolan, a must for any Marc fan!
on 28 November 2010
I have been a fan from the early 70's, in the nineties I started to appreciate Bolan's early work, and now I'm sick and tired of re issue after re issue. Yes some of the tracks I haven't heard before, particularly Truck on Tyke recorded in '71, but other than that I think I have all the other versions in some form or another. I say that as most of these tracks have been re issued to death some with very subtle changes, but I still bought it, more full I. So I would say if you are starting out as a Bolan fan buy the studio versions, then as you progress seek this out as it does show the talent which Bolan surrounded himself with. The band was rediculed in the '70s but Steve Bill and Marc are terrific musicians, then add Rick Wakeman,and Steve Took, then you have a great mix. Best tracks on the CD Hot Love, Cadilac, Metal Guru Truck on Tyke, Life's a Gas, and Woodland Rock.
on 10 January 2012
i bought this cd as it has a wide selection of tracks throughout marks coreer, it is great to have playing in the background when i'm working