5.0 out of 5 stars The Cure's Zenith
Looking back at this album ten years on, it is in my opinion the Cure's finest moment. Never again did they scale the hights of beauty and sorrow so masterfully over the course of a whole album. Subsequent albums had their moments (eg. Trust on the Wish album), but none could match the sustained feeling of this masterpiece. From the opening crash of the incredibly...
Published on 25 Nov. 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars The sound has been damaged, not improved
It always grates on me when all a person has to do is see the word "remastered" and they immediately spew out the blind praise that it "sounds amazing". In most cases, that's a very incorrect statement. The two recent Duran Duran reissues are some of the worst I've heard, (and notice the difference between reviews of those CD's on Amazon's UK site compared to here)...
Published on 14 July 2010 by Scott Davies

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Master piece, 5 Feb. 2007
Mr. D. Ryan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disintegration (Audio CD)
This is the first Cure albumn I ever bought I was only 2 years old when it came out and I never heard of the cure till I was 18 a friend brought in their greatest hits albumn and I've become an avid fan for 2 years now.

This comes joint first with porography. The thing I love about the cure is their ability to change their sound throught their albumns. It's a haunting albumn (Lullaby) and at time angry (disintegration) Lonely (plainsong) But I find the albumn relaxing I bring it to work with me helps if I close my eyes long enough listening to this I'd end up falling asleep.

I must say however like poronography the first time I listened to this it didnt appeal to me then the albumn just grew on me. This albumn is a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars All time classic, 6 May 2010
Mr. J. Morrison (Manchester) - See all my reviews
The Cure have been around a long time, but this album remains their definitive statement, certainly the one to play to experience their 80's doom-laden sound to the max. It's a smile-free zone from start to finish but nowhere has nihilism and despair sounded so epic and glorious. "plainsong" kicks it off with delicate wind chime sounds suddenly exploding into a wide-screen end-of-the-world imagery and a wall of synth-based sound that demands to be played loud (as the original sleeve notes advised). From then on we get Robert Smith on top form, from the plaintive "pictures of you" where relatively upbeat music accompanies Bob tearing apart the reminders of happy times, to the gothic pop hit "lullaby" which if it had been made today would surely have had a video directed by Tim Burton. Only "lovesong" breaks the dark mood for a few minutes but anyone expecting another "Friday I'm in love" will be disappointed, nothing's chirpy chirpy on this album. Near the end is truly where the sound of this album is taken to the extreme. "The same deep water as you" is over 9 minutes of stormy rainfall, deathly strings, and the same three chords played without interruption. No middle eight here, only subtle shifts of tone and texture, with Bob singing his goodbyes to a mystery someone that perhaps has even more problems than he does, all while sounding as if he's slowly sinking into an open mud-soaked grave. Fantastic! I've no idea what the extra tracks are like, but as snapshots of the Cure at the absolute bottom of the mood trough they are bound to be valuable to the fan. Certainly a key album from the eighties. The only way was literally up from here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Disintegration [Remastered] (Audio CD)
v.happy

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Disintegration [Remastered] (Audio CD)
Quality

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Fall for It, 15 May 2012
The original Disintegration really is worth buying twice. This particular flourish sadly isn't. Let's talk about the instrumentals. Some bonus.Nothing new and delightful to notice. Except your purse is slightly lighter for the privilege of listening. I'd advise you to avoid an unnecessary purchase, and if you are a completist, remember, this too will gather just dust.Wish I d given the purchase price away.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is fantastic!, 30 May 2010
This is just so great! And with the Entreat Plus... thank you so much RS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jan. 2015
ok

5.0 out of 5 stars happy days or should that be.... in between days....., 12 Nov. 2014
a true blast from the past.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but excellent, 21 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Disintegration (Audio CD)
This is different form the other Cure CD's I have. I remember the band from my brother loving them all through the 80's and only really got into them a few years ago. This is my 4th Cure CD and I think it is an excellent album, quite a lot of instrumental tracks with a slightly meloncholy feel but very beautiful. I would recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars FOUND:The missing link...., 7 Jan. 2005
R. M. Garner "bestbass42" (Wolverhampton,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Disintegration (Audio CD)
Many people have wounderd how brilliant Manchester band Joy Division would of evolved had it not been for the sad,wasteful death of lead singer Ian Curtis.DISINTEGRATION by the CURE is the closest yet to the kind of music they could of been playing in say 1982.The lyrics are pure JD,the bass sounds just like New Orders Peter Hook and Rob Smiths vocal style is a mixture of Ian Curtis & Bernard Sumner.I only descoverd this album a few months ago & havent stopped playing it yet,its already in my all time top 10.Im a big fan of long albums with a kind of "concept" feel about them,there always to be something differnt about them with each listen.Best tracks,Fasination Street;Disintegration(check out that New Order type synth ala Power,coruption & lies);Lovesong;Homesick;Untitled & Lullaby.Its well wort a listen.On the subject of vastly underated or forgotten albums,anyone remember MARTHA & THE MUFFINS of Echo Beach fame? For a great listen check out their 1981 album''THIS IS THE ICE AGE'',it was ahead of its time then but sounds brilliant now.Fantastic musicianship,strong but still sexy vocals from Martha(miles better than Debbie Harrys!),great songs with a couple of Marks on vocal to.Its hard to get but the compilations ''Then Again' & ''Faraway in time''offer an introduction to this great band.Best tracks Swimming;This is the ice age;3000 years/Chemestry & Casualties of glass.Go on,take a chance......

‹ Previous | 19 10 11 12 | Next ›

Disintegration [Remastered]
Disintegration [Remastered] by The Cure (Audio CD - 2010)