Format: DVD|Change

on 24 January 2015
This is a superb film portraying the dull lives lived by many in the 1970s, and whom found release in Northern Soul. If you know nothing about Northern Soul, and are curious then this might be a good place to start, you can see the wonderful dancing and hear the sublime music of the Northern Soul genre.Relive the times past, and simplybenjoy a great film, well acted, well scripted - very enjoyable. Thoroughly recommended.
on 16 October 2010
Saw this at the cinema and loved it! mind you, I am a bit biased because I was an extra in it!
Weird to see it all come together as when on the set, nothing is shot in sequence... but the end result is brilliant! Had so much fun and all the actors were amazingly talented and friendly. A real blast from the past for any Soulie- ENJOY!
on 21 November 2015
Just seen this one, what a great period piece. The scene is recreated with real authenticity, the dances, the venues, the clothes and the surroundings. Yes it is a love story and it is charming.

It is wonderful to see a British film done so well to help preserve a period and the musical movement that was / is Northern soul. We should treasure such artistic vignettes such as these
on 20 December 2015
This film is Saturday Night Fever mixed with Quadrophenia meets Northern Soul. You probably need to ignore the embarrassing dance off near the end (was it intended to be so daft and funny? I sadly doubt it!) and concentrate on just putting your feet up, enjoying the music and forgetting all your troubles for a while. Worth a watch if you're into the scene.
on 6 January 2011
If you are expecting/wanting a serious "Quadrophenia" style take on the Northern Soul scene then you will probably be disappointed with this release. It is made in a light hearted way and plotwise is nothing too taxing as others have said. This is perhaps a bit too "Top of the Pops" for your expert soul connoisseur who no doubt thought Wigan wasn't as cool as other period clubs such as the Blackpool Mecca and Twisted Wheel anyway. Soundtrack is fine although a little obvious - i'm sure the record collector buffs will note the fact that there are no £1000+ rarities featured although that wasn't really what Wigan was about. Despite it's obvious faults, it is a decent effort well worth a watch in my opinion. There's around half an hours worth of extras which look at the making of the film and features cast/crew interviews. With the high cost of visiting your nearest out of town super cinema complex these days,this is very good value at current selling price on Amazon.

Soulboy recreates the period well and is good fun despite the fact that some experts on the scene will no doubt cringe and point to things that they think are wrong/not how they remembered them. Don't take it too seriously though and this is more than okay as the music takes you back to an era of purchasing vinyl from a record shop or dealer rather than simply downloading the latest tunes from the comfort of your own home.
on 16 November 2014
Purchased this as a recommendation after purchasing Northern Soul Movie. Fantastic story line, the research that went into the Northern Soul scene by the production team is amazing. Was very disappointed that I never discovered this movie before purchasing Northern Soul Movie as I could've saved myself some money. Very pleased with this purchase and the content of the movie. Got itchy feet watching this movie as I wanted to get up and dance around my Sitting room. A very good reflection on the Northern Soul scene in the 70,s. If you love the scene, purchase this you'll not be disappointed. KTF.
on 31 October 2012
We invented Northern Soul. We made a Northern Soul movie. But we only get it on DVD while Germany gets it on blu-ray. Can someone explain why?Soulboy (BR) Min: 80DD5.1WS [Import germany]
on 14 April 2015
Ok film more lies again,, about drugs, and fighting but, still think northern soul movie better, but again i know speed the way of it to keep u up all night,, but there going over the top,,
on 4 November 2014
I love this film, it makes me feel like shaking my talc on the floor and joining in! The music is great, the story a bit weak and slightly predictable. And I am no Northern-Souler so dont know how authentic it is, but the original footage is great and watching the fantastically FIT Martin Compston is a treat to behold! Full of energy, I will now have to buy its competitor 'Northern Soul' to compare and contrast, though I would imagine a lot of the footage has been used in that film too.
on 26 June 2015
Great music to accompany a nice film. I do like a happy ending, but if I want it a bit grittier I can always watch a different film.