5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film
Published on 12 Mar 2011 by G. L. Parsons

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm so sorry Julio, but what's going on with you?
Always thought of myself as a Julio Medem fan - and through him, a fan of Spanish cinema. Since Basque Ball I seem to have lost track of him (foreign films can be real expensive on DVD) but I heard from a Spanish friend that Caotica Ana wasn't so great. Now I've seen this, or tried to, because within seconds I found myself getting irritated enough to start skipping...
Published on 29 May 2011 by Philoctetes

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film, 12 Mar 2011
G. L. Parsons (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I was uncertain about this film due to the mixed reviews and was concerned it would be perhaps gratuitous and a little shallow. However, I thought it was a fantastic film, excellently made and thoughtfully produced. It follows the two women and how they get to know each other over a precious single night, with what led them to that point and where they intend/intended to go from there. There are explicit parts but they follow the desires and development of the women's relationship and the film in its entirety is certainly a lot deeper than you might expect. I highly recommend it as a touching and beautiful film.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ode to feminine joy, 30 May 2013
Christian Nugue "go-between" (Meudon (France)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room In Rome [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Two young women spend the night in an hotel in Rome and try to build a stable relationship above and beyond their intense sexual experience. Former model Natasha Yarovenko and spanish actress Elena Anaya give us access to the intricacies of the female soul, a terra quasi incognita to most men I guess.

I love this film because the naked bodies are simply gorgeous and filmed with exquisite sensivity, without the slightest hint at voyeurism; because both girls have a past - and perhaps a future - that they discover together thanks to elaborate and meaningful exchanges; and because this classical drama ( unity of time and location) unfolds slowly, in incremental steps, which gives us the opportunity to carefully listen to what girls have to say. And that's a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating film., 23 Mar 2011
OldFrank (UK, somewhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I found - and still am finding - this an absolutely fascinating film.

To put it superficially, it's a depiction of two women having a one-night-stand and it has lots of nudity. It is quite erotic in places but is also quite beautiful and sumptious and often a joy to look at from an aesthetic point of view.

But what's really fascinated me is the development of the relationship between the two women - it's almost like some sort of chess-game. How much is each prepared to give, emotionally, to the encounter? How much is each lying or telling the truth? What, and how much, does each really want from the other? Is either really falling in love or just play-acting?

When we think, towards the end, that we know the truth about each, how can we really be sure? For instance, consider the importance to one of the women of the ancient Greek character Aspasia. Why her? It only takes a couple of minutes' online research on Aspasia to find that the 'facts' that have been handed down about her are now regarded as debatable - it seems there may have been a bit of lying about her going on in the ancient world - so that now it's pretty much impossible to get at much of the truth of her. As for the other woman, with all due respect to women tennis players, if a director wanted to invent a character who was genuinely straight and without any previous sexual experiences with women, would he really have made her a professional tennis player (I immediately thought of the 'gay as a tennis player' crack in 'Imagine Me and You')? I formed the strong opinion that the director is playing games with us.

I have lots more comments and questions and I could easily write a thousand more words on it, but I'll just say that I've watched this several times and I'm pretty sure that I've yet to get out of it all there is to be got - and I don't often come across new films that I can say that about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic tale today, 29 Dec 2010
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
A beautiful film, nicely set in an intimate atmosphere. It is about the old feelings: love, fears, trusting . . .
It could be played by a man and a woman, two men, . . . it does not matter, the feelings are exactly the same.
As well as artistic, there are also literary references, mostly from classic Shakespeare's "Midsummer's Night Dream".
The action goes through Midsummer's Night (or Saint John's Night), a magical night when our dreams can become true and everything vanishes at dawn . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Little more to say, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This is a beautiful, complex, emotional movie that drew me in and made me feel I was actually in the hotel room with the characters. It is layered like an onion with a centre of rushing, gushing honest immediacy and a feel for what is truly real in life. I cried, I laughed and it made me feel simply wonderful. I won't ever forget this one. The final scene is genius. It's a little masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A developing love story.........is it over?, 31 Dec 2010
W. I. Taylor "quality humorist" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I read the various reviews before purchase and as is my wont, decided to buy it and form my own opinion. Thank goodness the Americans didn't make this movie which would surely have wrecked it and I'm not just talking about the dialogue. Without a doubt,this has to be a beautiful developing love story with a difference. Alas, it is many years since I have experienced such a night but the film brought it all back to me. Not an Oscar-winning epic but beautifully and sensitively acted throughout. Whether you be lesbian or straight, the film should be watched for what it is. It is not pretentious, coarse or smutty but beautiful, artistic and touches the soul. 5 stars to the director also.

4.0 out of 5 stars An intimate and beautiful gem, 14 Oct 2010
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
What on paper would look like it should't work - a Spanish and Russian actress speaking English in Rome, directed by a Spanish man - actually turns out to be a beautifully told intense love story that develops over the course of a night in a hotel room. With little disturbance from other characters, our two protagonists carry the film with honesty and occasional awkwardness.

A real surprise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow Great story of love., 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I was amazed by the story in tis film, and how powerful love can be. A true love story between two women in a hotel room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving Strangers...Loving Strangers..., 1 Jan 2011
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I saw the cover of this dvd and saw two beautiful women in a bath holding each other. On the strength of that alone, I decided to buy it thinking it would be a bit of fun at the very least.

But what I saw was captivating. A well acted, erotic story of two people meeting up by chance and gradually falling in love with each other over a period of hours. Arguably love would take longer but I didn't want to question it too much. I was engrossed and wasn't concerned that the two main characters were of the same sex. I actually felt their love.

We all want to be in love. However you find it, take it. Don't worry about conformity. Life's too short. A great film and should have been released in the cinemas in the UK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Room in rome, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
A very good film, well worth a watch. I enjoyed the acting the story line, and the unbridled sex of two women entering into a sexy relationship with all its uncomfortable and comforting feeling of being together. Both had a story to tell to each other, both wrestled with decision making, at the same time as wanting to make love to each other. The ending was good, I admitt I did sigh at the end, as it was a brave move. very real, enjoyable; I will look out for more films like this on.

Room In Rome [DVD] [2010]
Room In Rome [DVD] [2010] by Julio Medem (DVD - 2010)