4.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up to Ong Bak 2.
Published on 16 Oct. 2010 by P. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing!
Published on 30 Dec. 2010 by Valen's Shadow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing!, 30 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [DVD] (DVD)
After enjoying Ong Bak 2 I've been looking forward to seeing this for quite some time. Unfortunately the movie turned out to be a huge disappointment on every front. I was at least expecting the story to continue in the same vein but really it feels like it's just tacked on the end having little to do with Ong Bak 2 except for the "Crow" character who came out of nowhere during the finale.

Also the fine cinematography from the second film has been lost and looks like it's been hastily and cheaply put together in Ong Bak 3. Besides the look and the story being lost the action and martial-arts is just an absolute travesty. Okay it's better than most Jackie Chan's of recent year but considering Panna Rittkrai took over as director and martial-arts co-ordinator and they brought in Dan Chupong as the main villain. The end results should have been very good at the very least. So instead of the wonderfully dynamic, gymnastic and brutal fights sequences of Tony Jaa's other films. What we saw was bland, boring and lacking any kind of excitement.

What we saw was Tony Jaa "phoning" his performance in.

To be honest I don't blame Tony Jaa I blame the studio for taking the film Off him, splitting it into two films and then putting very little effort and money into the final part & ripping fans of Tony Jaa off. Clearly he's jaded what with a superb choreographer (the man behind Ong Bak, Chocolate and Born To Fight) making no real effort to take advantage of the talent in front of him.

Overall it's a sad state of affairs and in my mind it's not even really a conclusion to the second Ong Bak. Anyway I'm looking forward to whenever Tony Jaa returns to martial-arts cinema after he's cleansed his spirit of this debacle with his studio in Thailand and has finished his time in the monastery.

5/10

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Bak, 1 May 2011
The Truth "How it is" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Sadly, again, this is the second Ong Bak film that fails to live up the quality of the original film in the trilogy. First of all I was amazed by the original Ong Bak - then left disappointed by the sequel... now I'm just confused.

Ong Bak 3 starts where the second film left off (which as far as I could make out had nothing to do with the first film anyway). It picks up the story where it ended. Sadly, although I had no idea what the story was about by the time the Ong Bak 2 finished, I'm left none the wiser by events in part three which attempt to wrap things up.

Maybe there's a lot of stuff I'm missing because I'm not that aware of Thai culture, but events in this film went totally over my head. And where as Ong Bak 2 was disappointing compared to the first, this was a total let down as there was hardly any fighting in it either. The Blu Ray quality was good but the extras were rubbish also.

Ong Bak 3 = fail on every level. Most of it seemed to be a montage of of him meditating and there were bits in it that left me thinking 'what the?.. What hell was that all about?'. In particular, the 'noy-nee-noy-nee-noo' song... call me old fashioned, but I think 'You're the best around' from the karate kid works better as an inspirational track for fighters.

My advice - watch Ong Bak and don't ruin it by watching any of the others. 3 out of 10 from me.

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 29 Dec. 2010
Eren Lakeman "Eren" (London,) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the first ong bak film. For me the first ong bak film was about a not so well known actor making a brilliant movie, doing his own stunts and just blew me away. But this film is terrible! The fighing moves by tony jaa are horrible it just looks like hes goose stepping, the movie looks cheap as you can see bits of styrofoam in a particular scene. What even annoyed me more was the fact that theres either a meditating montage every 5 minutes that seems to last a life time.

There were some parts i didnt understand and his acting isnt really that good if im honest. Also the actor that plays humlae/George in the first films seems to be playing a senile peasent which isnt really a part that a well established thai actor should be playing.

Dont bother buying it and dont even bother renting it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ong Bak 3, 26 Oct. 2010
A. J. Harrison (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [DVD] (DVD)
After watching the previous two Ong Bak films I had high hopes for this one, but after about 15 minutes into this I knew this wasnt going to be half as good as the others.

The story continues were the second film left off but now the story has alot of magic elements put in it which doesn't fit in at all. The man who Tien (Tony Jaa) had intended on killing in the film before gets killed off half way through by a new villian who has all these magical powers which I found really irritating!!

There were a couple of decent fight scenes but the end fight sequence was such a huge let down and nothing more than a light sparring session!!

Overall the best thing in the movie is proberly the music score

4.0 out of 5 stars Good follow up to Ong Bak 2., 16 Oct. 2010
P. Johnson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I cannot understand the mass of negativity towards this movie. It is the second part of the Ong Bak 2 story - rounding off the loose ends from that film. It should be only be viewed after Ong Bak 2, otherwise it makes no sense and you need to have a strong grasp of the characters and themes to enjoy this movie. This final installment sees the rebirth of Tien and the film is heavily spritual and philosophical. The buddist themes and ideas may be alien to some but once you grasp the message of the film the plot is pretty clear. I'd say that this movie should have been part of Ong Bak 2 but clearly it would have been too long for the audience. If you're looking for Tony Jaa ala - Ong Bak 1 or The Warrior King then you'll be dissappointed but you should have known this after seeing Ong Bak 2. I feel that the negativity indicates that this film is not travelling very well across it's Thai borders but I think that it's a very enjoyable viewing and it's well shot, give or take a couple or forgivable moments from a young director.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay!!, 11 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Tony Jaa - Excellent action martial Artist. After watching all of his other films I had high hopes for this and feel a little let down. I think it may be more because it is less action that usual and delves a bit more into a magical/mystical story. With all that said I did enjoy it but think that you need to be in the right frame of mind when you watch it. There are still a lot of signature Tony Jaa moves and when there is action it is still very good. Seeing as it is the third one (although I would say more like the second of two as the first Ong Bak I remember as being an entirely different story, or maybe I just need to watch it again!) then you should see this film - just start by not expecting too much and you may enjoy it more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate Let Down, 16 Mar. 2013
Gareth Ogden "Gyakuzuki" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Let's be honest, Jaa's choreographic skills are unparalleled. Fans of his work don't expect the most captivating plot providing he is doing what he does best. That said, this 3rd release lets you down from a great height. It just doesn't seem cohesive to the other 2 and dare I say the fighting even gets a little repetitive.

Like all great martial arts films, you should really leave them were they are. The 2nd was a push and this 3rd one just went too far.

If you want to see Jaa as the best thing to have happened to martial arts cinema since Bruce Lee, watch The Warrior King instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars do not listen to the negative reviews, 4 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [DVD] (DVD)
The negetive reviews on this movie are not justified at all, this is a brilliant martial arts movie, I did enjoy the first 2 ong bak movies and ong bak - the beginning, this movie does not have as many fighting/action scenes, however the action is still plentiful and spectacular. The movie also focuses on a more spiritual side and yobs just coming from the pub probably won't understand it therefore the negative reviews.. but trust me this film is excellent if you are a real fan of martial arts culture.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ong Bak 3 - Let Down, 10 May 2011
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I have to agree with everything that people have said so far; Ong Bak 3 left me feeling disappointed.

The story-line was disjointed and lacked proper flow, certain characters had no background to them, and the few fight sequences there are could've been performed by any competent gymnast.

I felt that I had to watch Ong Bak 1 again to reaffirm my faith in Tony Jaa.
This DVD simply completes the set, but will gather dust in the DVD rack.

Res...

3.0 out of 5 stars Noy-Ne-Noy, 3 Jan. 2011
Chris Morse "faraway_pictures" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ong Bak 3 [DVD] (DVD)
It was OK. It did feel a bit less rough and tough than the previous film and when it finished you were ready for the end without being too much worried it didn't give any clues as to what happened next in the characters lives.
There's definatley more bizzare moments in this movie, but the height of them has to be the Noy-Ne-Noy song. What the blooming eck was all that about!?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ong Bak 3 [DVD]
Ong Bak 3 [DVD] by Panna Rittikrai (DVD - 2010)