5.0 out of 5 stars The best just got better
I have been using Norton Antivirus for more years than I care to remember, right back until the early days of MS Windows.

I am the IT manager for the UK office of a multinational company.

A few years back, I stopped using Norton as the software had a serious impact on the performance of some older PCs.

This new version is much better...
Published on 22 Dec. 2010 by Paul Stewart

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me (Updated)
Published on 24 Feb. 2011 by D. O'Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars The best just got better, 22 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Norton Antivirus 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I am the IT manager for the UK office of a multinational company.

This new version is much better. Unless I actually instigate a scan I cannot see any impact on my computer.

A great advantage for the home user, this package protects up to three computers and / or laptops.

Use it with the built-in Windows Firewall plus the hardware firewall built into most broadband routers and you will be well protected.

As a final degree of protection, install the free software from ADAWARE and Search&Destroy. This will stop annoying AD software.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch AV, 17 Nov. 2010
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Installation could hardly have been quicker or easier, and then Norton antivirus 2011 generally ran quietly in the background. Boot time went up by only a few seconds and system performance seemed largely unchanged. Scans were incredibly fast after the first one which took ages.

The interface is intuitive, not that you should need to use it much, although some of the reports took some figuring out. Help is very...helpful. It just seems to pop up as required.

Norton gets top ratings for malware detection in independent lab tests - certainly, Norton security products have never let an infection cause me a problem.

Seems to be a no-brainer to me. Norton went through a bad patch, producing bloated products, but no more. Need reliable security tools? There may be products that beat Norton in specific areas, but it's hard to believe you'll do better than Norton, overall.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slick control interface that seems easy to use - and it works efficently on our XP and Win7 PCs, 2 Oct. 2011
Charlie-CJ (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Norton Anti-Virus software, licenced for three PCs, loaded easily and activated with the supplied code - once you have an account created the next two PCs activate just by logging into your Norton account. All three licences count down 365 days from the first PCs activation date. So far, 50 days in, Norton AntiVirus has run perfectly on our 32-bit XP and 64-bit Windows 7 PCs. The Norton interface looks very pretty and seems fairly easy to navigate, and it runs with few, if any, pop-up warnings to deal with [great for gamers]. Plus there's no noticeable hit on our PC speeds. For more details and PC system requirements check on-line at Symantec. When you leave the PC alone idling, Norton Anti-Virus rummages about checking for malware.

We also have the far more expensive Norton 360 v5.0 on other PCs that goes beyond this standard cheaper Norton Anti-Virus 2012 and adds in a `smart' firewall, on-line identity protection, social networking & parental controls, PC Tuneup and backup with 2Gb available on-line. In practice we don't really use the extra applications in Norton 360 as I have the key ones in stand-alone packages [Registry Mechanic and Norton Ghost], so in future I'll probably stick to this far cheaper Norton Anti-virus and the standard Windows firewall.

Norton Anti-virus 2012 now has PC Tools Spyware Doctor incorporated which goes far further than the likes of Bullguard and FSecure in detecting and removing nasty malware like `XP Anti-Virus' persistent pop-ups.

So a decent, quiet and relatively cheap anti-virus program. Also check out PC Pro's A-listed Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2011 and freebie AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition. Generally it's always cheaper to buy a boxed edition from Amazon than via download, so make sure you order well in advance of your licence expiring, as these days anti-virus software drops dead the second the years up.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Big Improvement, 31 Oct. 2010
Captain Awesome (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Historically I've not liked Norton products one bit. They used to be slow and use far more resources than they should.
However, with this version Symantec seem to have improved on that. Norton Antivirus 2011 also seems to be far less in-your-face than other versions, too.

Overall the software is good and honestly, there's not much to say; it's an anti-virus product and they pretty much all do the same thing. The differentiating factors at this point are speed, resource use, reputation and price. This version of Norton should improve Symantec's reputation and does well on all counts, with the exception of price.
The problem is, you can't beat free. Both Microsoft's Security Essentials and AVG Free are free, to name only two. Both are also excellent products.

So, who should buy this? If you're a competent computer user who has no issues in finding and downloading software on your own, not you. Because of the price and ease-of-use I'd say the people who should be using this are the people who aren't very good with computers, those who need a little hand-holding. Perhaps your parents or grandparents, or friends who aren't great with technology.

4 stars due to price. Even though it covers 3 machines for a year, the free alternatives are still free. Otherwise a solid product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick Reviews!, 15 July 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Easy to install, easy to verify results, the pop up scans aren't intrusive, nor are the warnings which seem pretty on the ball, and it hasn't caused any sort of slow down on my twilight years laptop. It may not be the most comprehensive Antivirus software on the market, but year upon year Norton proves themselves to be the go-to for the majority of PC users and gives peace of mind to nearly every happy customer. Yes there are free versions of different softwares, but I find that those less tech savvy or new to computers prefer a nice clear box with disc and instructions. Everything here is glossy and easy to follow, and the price is fine given the 3 computer deal. Normally I would go for the single deal, but as this was part of the Vine program I can't complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norton returns to form, 11 Sept. 2011
B. MCMAHON (England) - See all my reviews
This product installed first time and has quite a low footprint when running. Main gripe was during installation, when nothing appeared to be happening for ages and suddenly there was a huge jump from a low % to a high % done. A nice feature is being able to specify programs/files that are trusted by the user and can be skipped during virus checks. This speeds up the time to complete a scan very significantly. This product is excellent value given that it is a 3 PC licence and, a few days after the install, there is an invitation to download web protect for free.

This is a much slicker product than before and much less annoying than some AV programs I could mention.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me (Updated), 24 Feb. 2011
D. O'Brien "D.O'Brien" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll admit I like my anti-virus software to be as unobtrusive as possible, and I'm afraid that's not what this product is about at all. It sits in the corner of your desktop like someone watching over your shoulder the whole time, regularly telling you that it's decided it needs to do something, or has just done something, or is in the middle of doing something so that you can't do what you were doing until it's finished. It also has a big flashy display, full of far too many bells and whistles for the average user.
All of this isn't too bad on my desktop PC, which runs the software quite quickly, so it's currently still installed there. On my netbook it's a different story. This software comes with three licences, and specifically has a means by which it can be downloaded from the manufacturer's servers for netbooks that don't have CD/DVD drives. Unfortunately I had to remove it from my netbook, as even the background processes were such system hogs that it had a noticeable affect on my netbook's performance. The 'scan while idle' function would also pounce on me whenever I paused whatever I was doing to read something, and I couldn't seem to alter the set-up (which is highly complicated) to prevent this without completely disabling it.
In summary, good on a powerful computer, or for someone who likes the safe feeling of an intrusive bit of software, but for a slower or lower spec system, or for someone who likes anti-virus to be more discrete, this isn't the software to use.

Update:
I thought I'd finish off this review with an update on what it's like when the subscription period ends. As should be expected Norton don't want you wandering off and getting a different Anti Virus, so when your subscription ends they remind you that you now can't get updates, etc., and ask you to pay them more cash to extend the period of coverage. The problem comes when you say no, at which point Norton turns into the most persistent adware I've ever encountered. It reminds you on a daily basis that you're no longer covered, with a huge advert for its continued services. Uninstalling proved to be impossible, since it hijacks your registry to prevent either its own 'uninstaller' or the Windows version from removing it. I've finally resorted to using a registry cleaner from a rival company to attempt to shift it, and (fingers crossed) it seems to have gone. I could be wrong though.
Ultimately this thing has proven far more troublesome than any threat it detected during its time of service (which was none, though I can't blame it for that), so i've reduced the formerly two-star review to a single-star, and wish I could reduce it further than that. I've gone with a competitor, and won't be going back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Usual Norton quality, but AV by itself?, 22 Dec. 2010
Mr. P. HAIGH (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like Marmite people are frequently split into distinct "like" and "don't like" camps over Norton products. All I can say is that we've used them for ten years with no cause for complaint. The last couple of versions have got even better with faster and more automated installation, and Norton 2011 is no different. Installation is slick and was trouble-free and once it was installed on my copy of Windows XP it sat unobtrusively in the background.

There are only really two points to raise with Norton over this software. The first is that when the subscription expires, the protection turns itself off, completely. Older versions of the software would keep running but stop getting updates whereas now you are just left wide open with no protection. I know you get warnings that the service is expiring soon, but I'd like to see Norton change their approach to give a couple of weeks grace where the software continues to work, while displaying a prominent banner at login, just to spell it out. I'm sure quite a few people will have been caught out by the 'subscription expires' message not appreciating that everything turns off.

The second in this day and age is that I'm not sure who would AV on its own? Norton Internet Security 2011 provides far more comprehensive protection for the average consumer, wrapped up in one package. The computer I'm using is in a fairly controlled environment and not used for web browsing and the like - otherwise I'd be using that product instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must have - if you need Antivirus only, 26 Nov. 2010
W. Ahmad (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Norton Antivirus has been my first choice since the beginnings. I have used several others along the way, but no one comes closer. My personal favourite has been the 2007 version of Symantec System Works. Having said that, as an anti virus software only, I find this version to be the best so far. One reason is its simplicity, the other is that it is almost un-interruptive and works very smooth in the back ground.

The set of features is fine and enough if we do not compare or confuse it with Norton 360 or Norton Web Security. Those are the packages that also contain Antivirus, but they exist for a different reason. The problem is that now there are a lot of freeware programs that have the same sort of functionality and I find that some are equally good if not better. For example, ccleaner and Adware. I think I am quite an advanced user, and I don't really feel that after installing Norton Antivirus 11 along with some of these freeware programs, I really need to have 360 or web security. And it's good because it's much cheaper and a lot less hassle to use this.

However, for PC users who do not want to install a dozen or something programs to fix PC, remove viruses etc., buying an Antivirus only wouldn't be a great choice, and I advise them to go for Norton 360. But for casual PC users who are not into tuning their PC all the time, this is a great stand-alone antivirus to have. And as I have said, this is also a good choice for the people who want use the best programs for their respective functions, because this is the best antivirus product out there. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Competent, 12 Feb. 2011
Arynth (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've not been a huge fan of Norton software in the past, finding it bulky and problem-causing, but I'm glad to say that with this Antivirus install I haven't suffered any problems. The software seems to be running fine in the background, without wasting too much in terms of system resources. It's pleasantly, surprisingly OK.

I tested it on my computer and despite having a large number of files the file scan was quicker than my old anti-virus and it picked up a couple of files I use to test anti-viruses like this without a problem. But its service really stops there for me. While this sort of product is fine where, say, I'm in a household with limited internet activity (e.g. to install on laptops for the children), but with the sheer volume of sites I use on a day-to-day basis I really would prefer a complete internet security program as standard. I think we're coming to the point where solo anti-viruses will give way to internet security suites and I'm not sure that the price of this program can truly compete against either paid-for competitors (with full suites) or free, trustworthy programs you can die on the net.

Having said that, the installation was a breeze on my Windows 7 PC. The interface is pretty and it's a definite improvement on previous Norton AV programs. If you're looking for a paid-for, reliable, anti-virus software for some of your home PCs then this is worth a look.

Norton Antivirus 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton Antivirus 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC) by Norton from Symantec (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: £29.99